Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inaccurate Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the biggest failings is not providing route options, which I've had in every GPS system I've used over the last dozen years. Even Google maps suggests three optional routes. One way to get another option is to ignore the routing for a while and force a recalculation.
Yeah. Sadly Tesla had that for a couple of weeks around 2 months ago. But then with the next update it disappeared. I really miss being able to choose a route from multiple possibilities or modify the route Tesla proposes.

Before you get in my face - I'm referring to my Y not yours. YMMV

The Nav lady is wrong around 80% of the time at least on superchargers. She confuses left and right. 80% of the time will say, "In 1,000 feet your destination will be on the left.", when in fact it is on the right. Not ALWAYS wrong, (which would at least be useful, because you could count on it). Giving the car credit, it seems willing to bet on her being wrong and without fail, as soon as Nav lady says, "In 500 feet, turn right on Maple", the car will make a mad dive across 3 lanes of traffic, trying to get as far left as it can. So it's not just me, the car agrees that she is more likely wrong than right.

I could post pictures, but believe me, the visual display shows exactly where the car is parked. In my car port. At my address. The charge stats accurately reflect that the car was charged at "Home", in the car port where my wall connector is. However the car insists that "Home" is 0.8 miles away from my car port and will happily plot a route for me to get there. The gps and charging functions work correctly. The Nav and routing thinks "Home" is where the mail box is, 0.8 miles away.

I even resorted to filing a data error correction report for Google. They were really nice about it. Gave me step by step instructions, including taking pictures of the car parked in the carport and then rotating 360º taking overlapping pictures of the neighborhood. Google knows Exactly where my car is and agrees that is my address. They even sent me a nice thank you letter on how much they appreciated my help in making their data so wonderful and my changes would be implemented within 24 hours.

Absolutely nothing changed.

I finally defined the car port as my "work" location while parked in the car port. The display still shows my car port with the red arrowhead parked in it and "Home" is still 0.8 miles that way and "Work" is 0.6 miles the other way, and it has never charged a single watt at work? But very reliably records "Home" charging done in my carport, on my wall charger, 0.8 miles from where Nav lady believes "Home" is.

The Nav lady is wrong around 80% of the time at least on superchargers. She confuses left and right. 80% of the time will say, "In 1,000 feet your destination will be on the left.", when in fact it is on the right. Not ALWAYS wrong, (which would at least be useful, because you could count on it). Giving the car credit, it seems willing to bet on her being wrong and without fail, as soon as Nav lady says, "In 500 feet, turn right on Maple", the car will make a mad dive across 3 lanes of traffic, trying to get as far left as it can. So it's not just me, the car agrees that she is more likely wrong than right.

I suspect you're actually mishearing her. There's something about the way she pronounces "LEFT" and "RIGHT" that sometimes makes me not able to distinguish which one she says. I think it's something to do with the hard "T" sound at the end... like she only does that when saying "RIGHT" but it's softer when saying "LEFT"... and my brain expects the opposite.

No exaggeration. I recommend recording (or have your passenger do this) with your phone, then the next time you think she got it wrong, play back your recording... you'll see she was actually correct... it just didn't sound exactly right.

Reactions: legendsk
I suspect you're actually mishearing her. There's something about the way she pronounces "LEFT" and "RIGHT" that sometimes makes me not able to distinguish which one she says. I think it's something to do with the hard "T" sound at the end... like she only does that when saying "RIGHT" but it's softer when saying "LEFT"... and my brain expects the opposite.

No exaggeration. I recommend recording (or have your passenger do this) with your phone, then the next time you think she got it wrong, play back your recording... you'll see she was actually correct... it just didn't sound exactly right.
Interesting possibility. I do wear 2 hearing aids and can adjust them in various ways. I'll record some of the Nav lady's commands and do some testing. There are enough interested folks around, I can get them to listen also and confirm whether or not my hearing is working correctly. Thanks.

Has anyone compared the routing/map on their Tesla to Google maps on their phone?
I have used Apple Maps and compared it to Tesla maps and it's more or less comparable. None of them are perfect. I actually think Tesla deserves more credit for their navigation. Making a quality nav system with smooth scrolling and graphics is a monumental task. The fact that they did this quite a few years ago is something that I think is overlooked. I haven't had to really use Apple Maps or Google Maps in the car since I bought it 4 yrs ago.

Reactions: rpiotro