Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incentives coming at the end of Q4 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toward the end of last quarter Tesla added 2 years free Supercharging and upgrades.

Was there an incentive any other end of quarters before that?

Wondering if there will be any end of this quarter.

I'm sure there will be. We've already heard rumors from people visiting service centers that FSD will go on sale for a short period of time in the next few weeks.

• Love
Reactions: MikeR55
Any “rumors” based on what Tesla Service Center or Showroom staff say are simply that: rumors

Sure, but they always use FSD to sell more cars at the end of quarter. In Q3 and Q4 2018, they even gave employees who bought new cars free EAP and FSD if they "joined a beta program" but guess what, that beta program never even happened. It was purely a move to sell more cars.

They also sold FSD for $2K in March 2019 instead of the $4-5K it was going for before that.

Buy the car, sure, but absolutely don't buy something like FSD upfront as a sale will surely come along later.

My guess is they'll drop the MSRP on the P3D+ when including FSD (so essentially make FSD a "really cheap" adder for that particular vehicle) to below $60k after December 3rd to make sure it still qualifies for the California CVRP rebate. Maybe they won't drop it all the way below $60k though - maybe they'll just drop the MSRP when including FSD by nearly $2500. Arguably this is better, since it means you can still qualify for the CVRP on a future cheaper vehicle (assuming you have not already used both your rebates - the number of rebates allowed is being reduced to one per person as well but is not retroactive).

What should I know about the December 3rd program changes?

Reactions: kbecks13
No chance you can even get a Tesla by Dec 3rd even if you ordered today anyway though.

I don't know about that. Are they really that hard to come by right now? I haven't been paying attention.

In any case, if you have not used any CVRP rebate yet in California, there is a STRONG incentive to use one before December 3rd, because then you'll still be able to claim one more later. If you've already used one CVRP, it doesn't really matter (unless you are planning to buy an EV with MSRP > 60k) - you'll be able to claim another one later. If you've claimed two already, you're done, nothing matters (have to hope for the P3D+ price drop after December 3rd to compensate for this rule change that then only applies to others).

Of course, as some point, California legislators may increase the rebate amount significantly. There are proposals around. We'll see. Won't really matter though since Tesla will just raise prices to nearly completely compensate. Gotta harvest those rebates & credits. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, right now there is a wait time of 5 to 9 weeks, which indicates to me they're going to do the same thing they did last quarter and deliver everything the week of the final quarter and it will be complete hell. I actually had a car I picked up last time, but the panels were a mess, the paint was all peeling so I rejected it and now I'm waiting to do this again. And it was horrible, it was like a used car sales lot where they just want you to take the car and leave and not look it over and there was a lot of pressure to sign immediately. I'm hoping Tesla has improved their distribution this time, but I'm guessing not

Yeah, right now there is a wait time of 5 to 9 weeks, which indicates to me they're going to do the same thing they did last quarter and deliver everything the week of the final quarter and it will be complete hell. I actually had a car I picked up last time, but the panels were a mess, the paint was all peeling so I rejected it and now I'm waiting to do this again. And it was horrible, it was like a used car sales lot where they just want you to take the car and leave and not look it over and there was a lot of pressure to sign immediately. I'm hoping Tesla has improved their distribution this time, but I'm guessing not

What i did back in Q3 2018 was just walk in to a delivery center about a week before end of quarter and said "i know you have a bunch of cars, i have an open order - can i get one" and sure enough, they had a car for me and i took it home the next day after trading in my old Model 3. Kinda insane that a company works that way, but it's a thing (and i see you're in LA too, so it would probably work again)

Well what I'll do is order one once these new incentives hit which I'm sure will be very soon. Because I return the car and actually did not have another car for me last quarter. It was insane what happened last quarter it was so bad in the Burbank delivery Center, I'm almost thinking of getting it delivered to a different service center. But I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same

Well what I'll do is order one once these new incentives hit which I'm sure will be very soon. Because I return the car and actually did not have another car for me last quarter. It was insane what happened last quarter it was so bad in the Burbank delivery Center, I'm almost thinking of getting it delivered to a different service center. But I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same

I had heard a lot of bad delivery experiences with the SC's. I asked for mine to be delivered to my home, which they did. Could not have been a better experience. Plus, the fella that delivered it calibrated AP on his way to my home, so it worked right from the get-go.

My guess is they'll drop the MSRP on the P3D+ when including FSD (so essentially make FSD a "really cheap" adder for that particular vehicle) to below $60k after December 3rd to make sure it still qualifies for the California CVRP rebate. Maybe they won't drop it all the way below $60k though - maybe they'll just drop the MSRP when including FSD by nearly $2500. Arguably this is better, since it means you can still qualify for the CVRP on a future cheaper vehicle (assuming you have not already used both your rebates - the number of rebates allowed is being reduced to one per person as well but is not retroactive).

What should I know about the December 3rd program changes?

Correction - rebate is just $2k after December 3rd.

I would wait 2020 and buy car then. Even if its January 220.
No incentive is better then having newer year car.
Some people will say for Tesla cars year of sale does not matter.
That's big lie.
Even Tesla sells used cars based on year. Not to mention CarMax and others.
Everyone will ask u first what year is your car.
Newer car is worth more then any incentive Tesla offered in past

New ones now show 2020 model year. Tesla has aligned with other manufacturers with moving toward fall of the current year changing the model year to the next year.
That's big lie.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
That's big lie.

If you do that you lose out on the $1875 fed tax credit though.

Reactions: SlimJim
I'm sure there will be. We've already heard rumors from people visiting service centers that FSD will go on sale for a short period of time in the next few weeks.

question is does "on sale" mean back to the old price? or below the old price? or below the old old price?

Tesla is going to have a hard time ever making FSD less than $3k if you have EAP or less than $5k if you have AP since there are so many customers who paid that much for it.

If you do that you lose out on the $1875 fed tax credit though.

First thing you will hear when you enter in our local Tesla show room is "If you buy now you will get $1875 fed tax credit".
Ok. Good. Will I get M3 2020 if I order now? Answer is "there is no guarantee ! "
I would rather have guarantee my car will be 2020 then getting tax credit.
Don't forget when MY is out many people will be trading their M3 for it. And guess what?
Tesla will ask you "What year is your car?"
Then you will see how much you lost because you didn't wait 1-2 months

And one more thing. Starting January 2020 Tesla sales people cant talk anymore about tax credit. That means buyer will get something else. Price drop maybe? Just wait and see.