Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is not really all that different from the car dealer tactics we’ve all come to know. They don’t negotiate individual deals like dealers do but they change their pricing and incentives so frequently that you have to know how to play their game to get the best price.

Ok this is a start but they 100% need to bring back the inventory discounts now. Looks like the y got a 2,000 price cut overnight.
And it’s working exactly like they wanted it to, with media outlets tripping over themselves to say the Model Y is back to its “lowest price ever” despite nearly every car they sold last quarter transacting for thousands less.

And it’s working exactly like they wanted it to, with media outlets tripping over themselves to say the Model Y is back to its “lowest price ever” despite nearly every car they sold last quarter transacting for thousands less.

The media may be tripping over themselves but based on many of the comments on Elon's X post I'm not sure the consumer is "buying" it.

For every poster here or on Twitter there are a thousand people that have no idea at all Tesla has inventory cars or that they were thousands cheaper last quarter

No argument there.

But, sales were down at the lower prices. Higher prices aren't going to drive people to suddenly start buying cars they weren't interested in at a lower price. Most of those 1000 consumers are well aware that car dealers are sleazy. And Elon reinforces that fact with his "gas savings" tactics.

Are there gullible people who impulse buy cars and believe what ever the salesperson tells them? Absolutely. I don't think that's the majority though.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 5.47.34 PM.png

As of this writing, looks like their "tactics" worked, lots of sales even though its thousands more. Doubt they go any lower til MAYBE end of quarter (june).....

While we are educated on their pricing tactics, we are the minority. The Majority now think this is the lowest price ever, per media outlets, therefore, they will sell more. Great move Tesla....

Reactions: vickh
View attachment 1040296

As of this writing, looks like their "tactics" worked, lots of sales even though its thousands more. Doubt they go any lower til MAYBE end of quarter (june).....

While we are educated on their pricing tactics, we are the minority. The Majority now think this is the lowest price ever, per media outlets, therefore, they will sell more. Great move Tesla....

RIght, just got off the phone with a rep. They were touting the lowest price ever 2K discount. i countered with inventory price $5K. Actually miss the dealer here :)

View attachment 1040296

Is that live data and the drop in inventory is from today's sales? I'm not familiar with the chart and just trying to get my mind around the data and what it truly means.

No argument there.

But, sales were down at the lower prices. Higher prices aren't going to drive people to suddenly start buying cars they weren't interested in at a lower price. Most of those 1000 consumers are well aware that car dealers are sleazy. And Elon reinforces that fact with his "gas savings" tactics.

Are there gullible people who impulse buy cars and believe what ever the salesperson tells them? Absolutely. I don't think that's the majority though.
I think you’re overestimating the sophistication of most people and the level of attention they’re paying.

Tesla surely knows this. Most people just hear the highlights, and right now the media is faithfully parroting the company line - $2k discount, lowest price ever, referral program ending at the end of the month… act now!

The entire game is about getting different groups of consumers to jump at different times and constantly fiddling the levers to find the one that works for each person.

Those in the know have known for years at this point that you never buy a Tesla at the beginning of a quarter. The inventory discounts will come at the end of the quarter for those people, like clockwork.

Reactions: vickh and Royal27
I think you’re overestimating the sophistication of most people and the level of attention they’re paying.

Tesla surely knows this. Most people just hear the highlights, and right now the media is faithfully parroting the company line - $2k discount, lowest price ever, referral program ending at the end of the month… act now!

The entire game is about getting different groups of consumers to jump at different times and constantly fiddling the levers to find the one that works for each person.

Those in the know have known for years at this point that you never buy a Tesla at the beginning of a quarter. The inventory discounts will come at the end of the quarter for those people, like clockwork.
I need a black performance y for 40k!

• Funny
Reactions: Royal27