Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Include FSD on a leased car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are planning to order an X within the next weeks. We are pretty set on most of the spec but undecided regarding FSD. We are planning to lease for 4yrs (in line with the warranty) and might consider purchasing afterwards if we should still like the car.

With regards to FSD, autopark and especially the soon-to-be-released 360° view would be nice to have, we don't really care about the autopilot navigation etc. (and do not expect the car to be able and allowed to self-drive in the near future), but 7k is quite hefti for not having to park sometimes and potentially have a 360° camera that is standard on most middle class cars. Also, my guess would be that with growing comoetition, the bird eye view is not something they can keep in the FSD package (especially on the mass produced 3 and Y).

What do you guys think?

On a lease, no, not worth it unless you have that kind of money to throw around. You will not get that back at return.

If you haven't experienced FSD features first hand, do a test drive if you're able. Auto parking is a hit or miss, the 360 view will not be since there is no bumper camera, and there will not be a view of the immediate ground in front of the X, and smart summons isn't.

You're better off using that 7k towards your future payments, or, invest it. But, on a lease, it's throwing it away.

On a lease, no, not worth it unless you have that kind of money to throw around. You will not get that back at return.

If you haven't experienced FSD features first hand, do a test drive if you're able. Auto parking is a hit or miss, the 360 view will not be since there is no bumper camera, and there will not be a view of the immediate ground in front of the X, and smart summons isn't.

You're better off using that 7k towards your future payments, or, invest it. But, on a lease, it's throwing it away.

Yeah that's kind of what I think. And I would not expect the package to cost 4x as much four years from now - that would limit the competitiveness of Tesla cars quite substantially.

Don't bet on 360º parking view, Elon's tweet is widely misunderstood.

Keep in mind that you don't pay $8k or whatever for FSD since it actually depreciates at your normal schedule + interest. So if you depreciate the car by say 50% you only pay $4k + interest in the end if you decide to return the car at lease maturity.

Other than that I still personally think the package is way overpriced for what it offers and makes no sense, but I can't make this decision for you.

Don't bet on 360º parking view, Elon's tweet is widely misunderstood.

Keep in mind that you don't pay $8k or whatever for FSD since it actually depreciates at your normal schedule + interest. So if you depreciate the car by say 50% you only pay $4k + interest in the end if you decide to return the car at lease maturity.

Other than that I still personally think the package is way overpriced for what it offers and makes no sense, but I can't make this decision for you.

I don't see how they can do a 360 birdseye parking view without a nose camera. As it is now the front bumper not shown on any camera.