Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Car Prices and $12k FSD...Just Insanity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
I really wanted to sell or trade in my 2018 Model 3 for a new Model Y but the constant increases from Tesla has changed my mind. And increasing FSD to $12,000 made my decision not to buy even easier. I only paid $2,000 for FSD for my Model 3 and will never pay $12,000 or do the subscription for it. It's bad enough I'm paying $10 a month for the Premium Connectivity. Subscription based plans always increase in price so at some point I'll cancel it. Tesla now lost my money for a new Model Y, but if they let us transfer FSD for a small fee then they could get me back. Otherwise I think my Model 3 will be my last Tesla.

One more rant about the FSD price. I didn't think FSD was worth it when it was $3,000 but decided to go for it was offered to me at $2,000. It did get me a computer board upgrade, but functionality wise it's still not that impressive for the price and absolutely not worth it at $12,000 and most people won't buy it. And it's really going to suck if someone hits my car, totaling it, and now I can't afford to replace the car with the FSD that it had. So through no fault of my own I would I originally paid for. So this is why Tesla should let us do an FSD transfer. Maybe they could let us do a free transfer if the vehicle was totaled and it wasn't our fault, and maybe charge a small fee to transfer if just wanted a newer Tesla. They could sort out the details and it would be very profitable for them. But this $12,000 thing is stopping people from buying it, when Autopilot it good enough for most of us. Elon has this delusion that we're going to have full self driving this year, regulators will never approve it for at least a decade.

Okay, rant off!

Also, Tesla has months-long backlogs on orders for new vehicles, even after raising the price of both the cars, and FSD, multiple times.

If you don't buy a new one that's fine, there's a long line of others happy to do so.

When demand exceeds supply there's no reason at all to lower prices.

None of the things you're asking Tesla to do would allow them to sell even one extra car, since they already can't build enough for the orders they've got.

Regarding if someone hits your car- this is part of why I bought FSD as part of my vehicle purchase, my car insurance, which includes replacement cost, will be paying the 12k to add it to the Tesla that replaces it should that ever happen, even though I paid for less for FSD originally.

Those aren't related. How many cars do you think are ordered with FSD?

Of course it's related.

The OP was using the price of FSD as a reason he's not going to trade in for a new tesla since he can't transfer it to the new one.

Since Tesla has more orders than they can fill, they wouldn't sell any additional cars allowing him to transfer it.

On the contrary, what they'd do is lose the possibility of the new car paying for FSD (even if the take rate is low, it'd be non-zero).

So Tesla ends up with less money allowing FSD transfer, and 0 extra vehicle sales.

Reactions: SunCharged
Of course it's related.

The OP was using the price of FSD as a reason he's not going to trade in for a new tesla since he can't transfer it to the new one.

Since Tesla has more orders than they can fill, they wouldn't sell any additional cars allowing him to transfer it.

On the contrary, what they'd do is lose the possibility of the new car paying for FSD (even if the take rate is low, it'd be non-zero).

So Tesla ends up with less money allowing FSD transfer, and 0 extra vehicle sales.
For now. The sales will drop eventually when the market normalizes. Allowing transfers would also lock people into the ecosystem rather than shopping around.

I really wanted to sell or trade in my 2018 Model 3 for a new Model Y but the constant increases from Tesla has changed my mind. And increasing FSD to $12,000 made my decision not to buy even easier. I only paid $2,000 for FSD for my Model 3 and will never pay $12,000 or do the subscription for it. It's bad enough I'm paying $10 a month for the Premium Connectivity. Subscription based plans always increase in price so at some point I'll cancel it. Tesla now lost my money for a new Model Y, but if they let us transfer FSD for a small fee then they could get me back. Otherwise I think my Model 3 will be my last Tesla.

One more rant about the FSD price. I didn't think FSD was worth it when it was $3,000 but decided to go for it was offered to me at $2,000. It did get me a computer board upgrade, but functionality wise it's still not that impressive for the price and absolutely not worth it at $12,000 and most people won't buy it. And it's really going to suck if someone hits my car, totaling it, and now I can't afford to replace the car with the FSD that it had. So through no fault of my own I would I originally paid for. So this is why Tesla should let us do an FSD transfer. Maybe they could let us do a free transfer if the vehicle was totaled and it wasn't our fault, and maybe charge a small fee to transfer if just wanted a newer Tesla. They could sort out the details and it would be very profitable for them. But this $12,000 thing is stopping people from buying it, when Autopilot it good enough for most of us. Elon has this delusion that we're going to have full self driving this year, regulators will never approve it for at least a decade.

Okay, rant off!

No, you did not "only pay 2k for FSD for your model 3". You paid 5k for Enhanced autopilot, which was a pre requisite for purchasing FSD, then 2k for FSD during the fire sale, so you paid 7k, not 2k.

For now. The sales will drop eventually when the market normalizes.

Tesla has had more demand than supply for almost 10 years now.

Despite averaging over 50% annual increase in production all those years.

Not sure that's a temporary market abnormality.

Well no one offers FSD, including Tesla. No one else charges $12k for a "maybe some day"

FSD is a specific set of 7 features that Tesla describes during the purchase process.

6 of them exist today and are immediately available after purchase.

The 7th, L2 city streets driving, is in narrow-release beta test on roughly 60,000 Teslas as of last week.

Okay, rant off!
@Resist I hear you and was in same boat (yesterday). Had a 2018 m3 Lr RWD 53k miles w fsd that I paid $2k for (well that’s misleading cause that offer was only open to those who had bought EAP). But still. On top of that I kept reading that Tesla did not pay anything for FSD when evaluating trade in value. Well I’m telling you I got offers from several online places and Tesla beat them all. $41.5k for a gen 1 model 3 rwd. There’s no way they would have paid me that if I didn’t have fsd. So although, on my trade in, I lost fsd and free lifetime premium connectivity, I feel I more than made up for that with my trade in. Today I walked out with a brand new, dual motor upgrade new bells and whistles no regrets. If you are still considering a trade strike now while iron hot. These used car values won’t hold.

Reactions: Ormond and Yelobird
FSD in its current form was never $3K (or $2K).

I paid $3K for it, but that was on top of $5K for EAP.

The $5K for EAP was never really $5K either as it the breakdown for it was $3K for the Enhanced Stuff and $2K for the Basic AP.

When Tesla removed the EAP package they simply moved Basic AP into the standard configuration of the car, and they raised the car price by $2K.

Then they took the Enhanced stuff (the $3K) and moved it to the FSD package, and raised the price of FSD. The price of FSD has continuously gone up without much added functionality.

So I agree that $12K is way TOO much, but it shouldn't be compared to $8K and not $3K.

These used car values won’t hold.
This kind of thinking is what has me pondering selling EVERYTHING.

My Tesla with FSD
My Jeep
My 4x4 Camper Van
My house

I think the only thing I even own that isn't highly priced right now is my OLED TV.

Would be terrible though if things just kept going up in price.

This Hyperinflation needs to stop soon.

Okay, rant off!

Can't you just not get FSD now with a new purchase, wait until it's more polished, and then add it at a later date? If you say 12k is not worth it, then the question to ask is: if FSD works really well, is it worth it then? If not, maybe it's more of a budget issue than an FSD capability issue. If The capability increases and the prices goes even higher, is it worth it?

I would worry less about the price of FSD and instead focus on how capable/reliable it is. I was also a $2k FSD add-on purchaser with the $5k EAP package. Today, I would not buy FSD because I don't feel it adds much utility in its current state (NoA, summon, and autopark don't work well for me). When it starts to work really well, then I'll decide if I want to buy it outright or do subscription. I plan to order a Model Y soon, and I won't add FSD. Unless by some miracle I get v11 FSD beta on the Model 3 and it's amazing :D

Reactions: Sporty
Just I know that FSD actually cost me more than $2k when I bought it, as I also paid $5k for EAP. But as I said before the included Autopilot does more than enough for most people, so there is no need to pay an extra $12k just to get NOA, Summon and Autopark. And I doubt most insurance companies are going to pay for FSD, if the car is totaled. Unless FSD was taken into account for the premium. But again, Elon's timeline is way too generous as to when FSD will be complete, they are not even close. They need cameras that can self clean and other sensors to see through heavy rain and snow, and navigate through many non regular road conditions.