Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Car Prices and $12k FSD...Just Insanity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they brought back EAP, I'd likely buy it if it was 5k or less. Like so many others I feel FSD isn't even remotely worth the 12k asking price based on its current capabilities.
I think the kicker for me here is they're also adding this cost on all used Teslas as well. Their argument and rationale for tacking on the new 12k FSD price tag to used inventory is mind numbing.

But it is new software... So what if the car is used. Other than you'll get less use out of the FSD since the car will die sooner. They should pro-rate it based on the age of the car if used. :D

Also, Tesla has months-long backlogs on orders for new vehicles, even after raising the price of both the cars, and FSD, multiple times.

If you don't buy a new one that's fine, there's a long line of others happy to do so.

When demand exceeds supply there's no reason at all to lower prices.
Or improve vehicle quality…
Or work on better customer service…
Or even communicate with existing customers…

Uhmmm. I think that means the price is wrong, it's too low.
The price of FSD on the other hand may or may not be wrong, it all depends on the take rate vs. price and whether or not there is some liability to selling the feature.
The take rate for FSD has dropped precipitously and is now at an all-time low, according to this article:

Reactions: Sporty
The take rate for FSD has dropped precipitously and is now at an all-time low, according to this article:

What would the take rate be at $6k?
You also have to consider that if Tesla actually delivers robotaxis this year even $12k is horrible deal for them. They'll be able to get way more from people with a monthly fee in the future.
I do wonder if they would make more money offering enhanced autopilot again though.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Or improve vehicle quality…
Or work on better customer service…
Or even communicate with existing customers…

They have the highest vehicles satisfaction among owners of any brand on the market, from multiple consumer survey sources.

Tesla Is Number One In Consumer Reports' 2020 Owner Satisfaction Survey
This is now Tesla’s fourth consecutive year as CR’s owner satisfaction king.

JD Power-

Tesla Model 3 EV owners were more satisfied (again) with their vehicle than those of any other premium brand, J.D. Power said.

Seems like the customers are pretty happy with the vehicles and service- otherwise how do you explain that?

yes it's all the way down to....*checks your source* same place it was in Q2 2018.

Notice how it spiked for Q2 2019? That was quarter of the big changeover/fire sale... and also just before the last halving of the federal EV tax credit for Tesla.

Then it steadily dropped again after Q4 2019 when the credit went away entirely, and was mostly flat throughout 2020.

It DID drop again Q1/Q2 of 2021.

Guess what was different then?

The S and X were not for sale. Which have always had a much higher take rate on FSD, since it's such a smaller % of the total price of the vehicle.

You can see this super clear in the second chart- where he breaks out by model... the S/X take rate is over 60% and has been roughly flat there since, again, start of 2020.

Weirdly he lists low 60% take rate in Q1 and Q2 2021 for S/X- despite the fact Tesla wasn't actually selling them. I guess he got a couple of leftover 2020s sold off the lot included or something?

Anyway, last factor, which your source does note- is that since Shanghai came online, a much larger % of total sales have been outside the US-- where FSD take rate has always been much lower than in the US.

So those are interesting numbers- but don't tell quite the simple tale you seem to suggest.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
If you paid for FSD as part of your original purchase, insurance should cover replacement of a car (with similar mileage) with fsd. But if you added fsd after the fact thru ota, you’d better add a rider to your policy.
If you have Tesla Insurance, they cover FSD!! If you total a car with FSD, they reimburse you how much you paid for FSD. Wylddddd

Seems like the customers are pretty happy with the vehicles and service- otherwise how do you explain that?
If you’ll recall my post was in response to a message pointing out that demand still exceeds supply, and my point, which you apparently missed, was that there’s no incentive for Tesla to improve on its historically poor QC and customer service as long as this is true.

But I gather you’re asking for a reason why sales and satisfaction are so high if the quality and QC are so poor? Both of these things are true, but it seems odd that they are. After all, if a traditional manufacturer like VW had the same QC and customer service issues at Tesla, it would really affect their sales.

The answer is that with VW, you’re just buying a car. With a Tesla, you’re buying membership into an exclusive club: you’re an EV adopter. You’re helping save the planet. You’re supporting the development of autonomous vehicles. And, of course, you’re demonstrating your moral superiority to the masses still driving ICE vehicles. (Yes, I know not all Tesla owners fit into the latter category, but so many seem to…)

Given these considerations, things like QC, poor service, and no communication with customers are mere incidentals.

Mind you, I do the exact same thing. I’ve bought two Model Ss, and I knew when I bought my second one what I was getting into. So I’m not throwing stones, but I’m not wearing blinders, either.
So those are interesting numbers- but don't tell quite the simple tale you seem to suggest.
Well, to be fair, it was the article suggesting the tale, not me. Still, try to think of another example where the price on a product that’s been pre-sold for years, only exists in beta— and doesn’t work too well— and has a history of years of broken promises (and not just scheduling: remember when Elon promised that everyone who paid for FSD would automatically be enrolled in the beta?) GOES UP…again and again…

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This kind of thinking is what has me pondering selling EVERYTHING.

My Tesla with FSD
My Jeep
My 4x4 Camper Van
My house

I think the only thing I even own that isn't highly priced right now is my OLED TV.

Would be terrible though if things just kept going up in price.

This Hyperinflation needs to stop soon.
Is your OLED TV available? How much are you asking?

Is your OLED TV available? How much are you asking?
Haha.

On a more serious note I omitted an important piece of info. The reason I wouldn't consider selling it is that it's going down in price.

I don't buy things to have them go up in price because then I'd have to sell them.

If they go down in price then I can keep them until something way better comes along at a similar price or less. I buy things with the expectation that I'll consume from them for X years, and then either sell them or give them away.

Like I got the 77" OLED when I gave my 65" OLED to my brother for a Christmas present. Now I wasn't being a nice brother, I only gave it to him so I could justify getting myself the 77" OLED.

Last edited:
Haha.

On a more serious note I omitted an important piece of info. The reason I wouldn't consider selling it is that it's going down in price.

I don't buy things to have them go up in price because then I'd have to sell them.

If they go down in price then I can keep them until something way better comes along at a similar price or less. I buy things with the expectation that I'll consume from them for X years, and then either sell them or give them away.

Like I got the 77" OLED when I gave my 65" OLED to my brother for a Christmas present. Now I wasn't being a nice brother, I only gave it to him so I could justify getting myself the 77" OLED.
Wasn’t it Elon who said the price of tech inevitably goes down over time?

(I tried looking this up, but searching for a specific Elon quote made more than a year ago is useless…)

Just for the record, some of us did buy FSD for a total of 5k. See flowchart:

Yup, that was the brief "mistake" sale where they screwed all the early adopters who were promised the price would always be higher if they didn't buy at time of vehicle delivery by selling it cheaper to everyone who had waited instead.

Didn't last long, but great deal for those who were able to jump on it.

Yup, that was the brief "mistake" sale where they screwed all the early adopters who were promised the price would always be higher if they didn't buy at time of vehicle delivery by selling it cheaper to everyone who had waited instead.

Didn't last long, but great deal for those who were able to jump on it.
That was no mistake - just very tough near death experience for Tesla when if Tim Apple had taken the meeting, may be Tesla would now be an Apple subsidiary.

That was no mistake - just very tough near death experience for Tesla when if Tim Apple had taken the meeting, may be Tesla would now be an Apple subsidiary.

No, it was 100% a mistake, and Elon explicitly said in retrospect the lower price should not have been offered.

Also, that Tim Cook story never happened- the book claiming it did had quite a few less than accurate claims.

I only paid $2,000 for FSD for my Model 3
Elon said that your car will appreciate in value due to having FSD. So I'm sure that means if you trade in your M3, Tesla will give you $12k for the FSD that you bought. But you might want to hold onto it, because it's going to be worth $100k-$200k some day. You can add it to the robotaxi fleet.

• Funny
Reactions: Sporty
Elon said that your car will appreciate in value due to having FSD. So I'm sure that means if you trade in your M3, Tesla will give you $12k for the FSD that you bought. But you might want to hold onto it, because it's going to be worth $100k-$200k some day. You can add it to the robotaxi fleet.

Like I even believe the robotaxi thing will happen in my Model 3's lifetime. lol

Reactions: 2101Guy