Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Car Prices and $12k FSD...Just Insanity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know nobody here would have a definitive answer, but I wonder how Tesla's books weigh each of FSD's features. There are 6 listed features (besides the FSD hardware itself): Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, and Autosteer on City Streets. Of those, 5 have been delivered (most with beta tags with plenty of room for improvement). So, does that mean Tesla is only seeing 1/6 * $12000 = $2000 worth of liability per FSD license sold? Or would Autosteer on City Streets be weighted differently since it is much more work and resources are going into it?
Who knows … may be you can submit this question for Q1 and if it gets enough votes, it will be answered.

If I was the auditor I’d approach it from 2 directions
- what is the likely value attached to each feature from customer POV
- how much work has already been completed compared to what is left from Tesla POV

Unfortunately, neither of the above have definite answers. So, the next question would be …
- how much do competitors charge for features similar to delivered features

I think Tesla can possibly make a claim for 60% to 70% of value as delivered, if we take all of the above into consideration.

Who knows … may be you can submit this question for Q1 and if it gets enough votes, it will be answered.

If I was the auditor I’d approach it from 2 directions
- what is the likely value attached to each feature from customer POV
- how much work has already been completed compared to what is left from Tesla POV

Unfortunately, neither of the above have definite answers. So, the next question would be …
- how much do competitors charge for features similar to delivered features

I think Tesla can possibly make a claim for 60% to 70% of value as delivered, if we take all of the above into consideration.
Turns out I was close - at least according to Morgan Stanley. @UCIBtheG

They say 60% of FSD revenue is now recognized.

Reactions: UCIBtheG
so, yesterday I almost got into an accident when FSD decided to make a left turn at a traffic light without right of way.:oops: I almost ended up bumping into on-coming traffic but the other guy was nice enough to slow down and I was alert to take over at moment's notice. Let me tell ya honestly, and it is literally a moment's notice if you are lucky to realize it. The whole decision processing (F their neural net 🤖) in my brain was less than a second to realize I must stop otherwise accident is imminent!!

I'm really pissed off at this so-called FSD software which is nothing more than a Level 2 system. Day by day I'm getting more convinced that someone with better/cheaper sensors will beat Tesla to its own FSD game. Forget about Robotaxies from Tesla at this point.

I understand good people will disagree with me and have every reason in their hat to defend Telsa, but I caution novice folks not to jump on this bandwagon and risk their life. Don't spend your hard-earned 12K on FSD; if you can't resist, get their subscription and experience it yourself but be extremely careful as it is fully capable of making a wrong decision at the least expected time.

(PS: reported to Tesla as usual but not sure anyone is looking at the bug report)

Was this on the beta? If so the special button to report certainly gets uploaded to tesla

If not beta doing the in car voice command "bug report" does not go anywhere- that's just there to capture a local log if you open a service ticket for a vehicle problem.... (but then you shouldn't have been having it try and do a left at a light in that case, so I'm assuming you mean the beta).

Was this on the beta? If so the special button to report certainly gets uploaded to tesla

If not beta doing the in car voice command "bug report" does not go anywhere- that's just there to capture a local log if you open a service ticket for a vehicle problem.... (but then you shouldn't have been having it try and do a left at a light in that case, so I'm assuming you mean the beta).
Beta 44.30.21 and yes.. that's how I normally report issues. I hope someone seriously looks at this incident as I could have been 1st casulty of FSD. I have decided not to enable FSD anymore, except it is a straight road or a highway that I'm familiar with. It was scary!! ( my wife told me not to trust computers but like many others I thought I was smarter than her :) , lesson learned!)

( my wife told me not to trust computers but like many others I thought I was smarter than her :) , lesson learned!)

I don't believe I've yet found "a wife" who enjoys the FSD experience. In fact, I'm now wondering about divorce rates among Tesla owners.

For the record, my wife has forbidden the use of the FSD beta while she's in the car. Highway FSD is still begrudgingly accepted, for now.

I've never felt this FSD beta was anywhere as advance as Elon made it seem. And most of the time I don't use it because it's just not reliable, I prefer Autopilot on the highway as it works great. And robotaxi's, won't happen for at least another decade. Elon is wrong.

I've never felt this FSD beta was anywhere as advance as Elon made it seem. And most of the time I don't use it because it's just not reliable, I prefer Autopilot on the highway as it works great. And robotaxi's, won't happen for at least another decade. Elon is wrong.
He's a CEO of a major company - he's always going to paint the company in rose-colors. I challenge anyone to find a CEO who advertises the faults of their company regularly, or that their solutions are "so-so" compared to others. 🤣

I couldn't agree more; I believed what he said in the past, but over time, I have realized he has a habit of making things up from the air! For example, he will be shocked if the FSD software is not complete by year-end!! Seriously....!! Anyone part of the Beta program knows software is far from good enough to consider applying for regulatory approval. I wish Tesla would have focused on Level 3 highway autonomy/hands-free driving but PR is more important to keep stock price astronomically high.

Anyhow, anyone of you driving FSD beta, please be careful and listen to your spouse.

Reactions: BrerBear
Anyone part of the Beta program knows software is far from good enough to consider applying for regulatory approval.

That isn't actually a thing (in the US anyway which until this week was the only place it was being tested, and is where the majority of FSD owners live anyway).

You don't need approval from anybody for L2 systems.

If they thought it was good enough for general release right now, they could push it to the entire fleet (in the US anyway) right now.

I don't believe I've yet found "a wife" who enjoys the FSD experience. In fact, I'm now wondering about divorce rates among Tesla owners.

For the record, my wife has forbidden the use of the FSD beta while she's in the car. Highway FSD is still begrudgingly accepted, for now.
Couldn't agree more. My wife yells at me every time I turn FSD on on city roads. But she is ok on highways... so I fear that when the FSD code base will be merged to the autopilot code base, then we might see a lot of regression on highway driving as well.

This is life on the cutting edge technology. Sometimes it does cut you... but its cool to see it evolve.

He's a CEO of a major company - he's always going to paint the company in rose-colors. I challenge anyone to find a CEO who advertises the faults of their company regularly, or that their solutions are "so-so" compared to others. 🤣
I don't expect him to advertise their faults, but what he did was basically lie about the true capabilities of the beta. And if he wants people to pay $12,000 and have them be beta testers, then he should at least give testers something in return, like maybe some free Supercharging or a discount on Premium Connectivity.

Reactions: svusa
I don't expect him to advertise their faults, but what he did was basically lie about the true capabilities of the beta. And if he wants people to pay $12,000 and have them be beta testers, then he should at least give testers something in return, like maybe some free Supercharging or a discount on Premium Connectivity.
my impression of Elon Musk has changed over the period. Initially, I thought of him as a visionary leader who wanted to set his company apart from others. I never thought he was the kind of person who would put his personal/corporate profit ahead of customers. That impression has changed over time, and now, I believe, he deliberately provides misleading/inaccurate information to serve the interest of a specific group. He hasn't been honest about capabilities of Tesla's ability to achieve FSD/RoboTaxies for sure.

Did he change the entire industry to shift toward EV? Yes, but that's doesn't mean he gets a free pass.

Reactions: Resist
He hasn't been honest about capabilities of Tesla's ability to achieve FSD/RoboTaxies for sure.

Did he change the entire industry to shift toward EV? Yes, but that's doesn't mean he gets a free pass.
Exactly! And he needs to stop tweeting, we don't need to know every friggin thought in his head. Especially when he's using it as a platform for defiance and hate, claiming freedom of speech.

If you don’t like FSD don’t buy it. Very simple. I think it’s cool but not $12,000 (or even $5,000) cool at this point. I just don’t drive that much for it to matter.

If I were dealing with a horrid commute or something I’d pay for it, but I found it easier and simpler (and cheaper) to simply switch into a job that lets me work hybrid / partially from home.

I LOVE the idea of FSD. It’s what we need as a society. People convince me daily that human beings collectively are too stupid, emo-driven and incompetent to really operate vehicles reliably and safely. We’ve maxed out what we can do with a manual system and it’s not all that efficient, not all that safe and not all that good. Taking the humans out of the loop (along with the aggression, timidness, inattention, etc.) would GREATLY enhance the efficiency of the system - untold hours of time saved and untold quantities of energy saved. Not to mention less stress and the health benefits therewith.

One guy’s opinion. I welcome it. But I’m not paying $12,000 for it in the state it’s in yet either. Autopilot does just fine for my needs for now.

It's explicitly beta. Meaning you need to learn how and when to disengage it proactively. Not wait for something to go seriously wrong.

I use it on freeways, highways and the wider streets now all the time. I do regulate the target speed with the scroll wheel, that's the best control mechanism, and disengage if it's not behaving, albeit for a couple of seconds. And it's worth a lot more to me than base autopilot.

If they took all of EAP NOA and FSD Beta away and handed me the $8k I paid, I'd give them the $12k to get it back. Because that's what it is, not just the "FSD beta". It's the package with "EAP" freeway lane changes with NOA to destination, and now on unprotected highways. Even some city streets NOA as a bonus of sorts :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird