Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a recommendation for a 120v countertop model? Would like to try induction - and we have central propane that keeps going out so need a backup.

The Costco deal is long gone.
I've used this one for 2 years. Works great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDXPTNP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this dual burner model in our apartment for 6 months.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMTY8Q8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love induction cooking

Reactions: nwdiver
I've used this one for 2 years. Works great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDXPTNP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this dual burner model in our apartment for 6 months.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMTY8Q8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love induction cooking

Is there any noise difference? I have friends that are put off by the 'buzzing'.... doesn't really bother me and I've read the sound comes more from the pot than the stove...

Is there any noise difference? I have friends that are put off by the 'buzzing'.... doesn't really bother me and I've read the sound comes more from the pot than the stove...
There is a small noise under some conditions. Never bothered us.
It does depend on the pot, temperature, power level. Never bothered to investigate.
I got these to try out induction cooking before buying a new range for our new house. Decided we like it. Bought a GE induction range. Not installed yet.

Still using my induction cooktop after 1 year. Actually it is my go-to cooking appliance if I have a pan/pot that works for it.
So much faster than the electric range we have. Grilled cheese sandwiches are great and can keep up with the "Can I have another?"

Not rushing out to buy more pans (since I only have 1 cooktop), but I got a new frying pan that is working out really well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKTO0YE

Wirecutter: New Product Reviews, Deals, and Buying Advice is the site that suggested that pan and very happy with the results.

Reactions: Big Earl
Reactions: Big Earl
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1H33FA

The ability to set the power/temperature really low is great for doing chocolate fondue on the table.

Very interesting. It looks like you can control both the wattage (600, 900 or 1500) and the temperature (10 degree increments) on that unit, creating a slow, even heat if desired.

Some of the complaints about that product seem to be user error. One person says it doesn't maintain a low simmer, but I wonder if they had it set on a high wattage with a low temperature, creating a cycling effect. Another person said it took forever to sear, but perhaps they had it on 600 watts instead of 1500 watts.

I might have to pick one up to give it a try. One of my peeves with my parents' induction range is the lack of temperature control, with only a power scale from 1 - 10 with an auto simmer option that doesn't work very well.

Very interesting. It looks like you can control both the wattage (600, 900 or 1500) and the temperature (10 degree increments) on that unit, creating a slow, even heat if desired.

Some of the complaints about that product seem to be user error. One person says it doesn't maintain a low simmer, but I wonder if they had it set on a high wattage with a low temperature, creating a cycling effect. Another person said it took forever to sear, but perhaps they had it on 600 watts instead of 1500 watts.

I might have to pick one up to give it a try. One of my peeves with my parents' induction range is the lack of temperature control, with only a power scale from 1 - 10 with an auto simmer option that doesn't work very well.
The units I've used can go to very low power but they do this by cycling on and off below some point (? 600W). This can be a problem in some cooking.

Good to see this happening. For Sacramento (SMUD) customers going to induction “Gas-to-electric replacements qualify for a $750 rebate.”

Appliance rebates

Features and benefits

• Induction heats up a pot of water nearly twice as fast as gas or standard electric.
  • More energy-efficient than traditional electric cooktops, which can save you money on your electric bill.
  • Since its surface is completely sealed, it's safer because there’s no exposed heating element or open flame. And, unless there’s cookware on it, the cooktop doesn’t heat up—even if it’s turned on.
  • Induction cooktops produce zero kitchen pollution. Natural gas stoves can release carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and other harmful pollutants into the air.
  • With its smooth surface, cleaning up is a snap.
  • Your kitchen stays cooler and less heat is wasted, since the cooktop’s heat is focused on the pan and nowhere else.
  • Precise, digital controls give you the exact heat you want, every time.

Requirements

• Must install an induction cooktop/range measuring 30” or larger.
  • Both standalone cooktops and ranges with built-in induction cooktops are eligible.

Rebates

• Electric-to-electric replacements qualify for a $100 rebate.
  • Gas-to-electric replacements qualify for a $750 rebate. We require a "before" photo of the old gas cooktop/range in place and an "after" photo showing the new induction cooktop/range installed.

Good to see this happening. For Sacramento (SMUD) customers going to induction “Gas-to-electric replacements qualify for a $750 rebate.”

Appliance rebates

Features and benefits

• Induction heats up a pot of water nearly twice as fast as gas or standard electric.
  • More energy-efficient than traditional electric cooktops, which can save you money on your electric bill.
  • Since its surface is completely sealed, it's safer because there’s no exposed heating element or open flame. And, unless there’s cookware on it, the cooktop doesn’t heat up—even if it’s turned on.
  • Induction cooktops produce zero kitchen pollution. Natural gas stoves can release carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and other harmful pollutants into the air.
  • With its smooth surface, cleaning up is a snap.
  • Your kitchen stays cooler and less heat is wasted, since the cooktop’s heat is focused on the pan and nowhere else.
  • Precise, digital controls give you the exact heat you want, every time.

Requirements

• Must install an induction cooktop/range measuring 30” or larger.
  • Both standalone cooktops and ranges with built-in induction cooktops are eligible.

Rebates

• Electric-to-electric replacements qualify for a $100 rebate.
  • Gas-to-electric replacements qualify for a $750 rebate. We require a "before" photo of the old gas cooktop/range in place and an "after" photo showing the new induction cooktop/range installed.
Somehow I always purchase this stuff before there is any kind of rebate :-(

Reactions: SalisburySam
Would love to have an induction cook top but would need to run #6 wire 75 feet to the MSP to a 50amp circuit breaker.

You could go the Nema 6-20 route... sacrifice a 120v circuit, repurpose the N as a L. That would give you ~3.8kW. Unless you're cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 10 people that should be plenty. There's a large variety of induction inserts available on amazon. I wish more induction stoves had a current selector like the HPWC does. How often would you REALLY need to pull >10kW into the stove? It's SUPER-rare that you have all the burners dialed to 100%....