Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great timing to bump this post @nwdiver because I literally just sat down from swapping out my new range. We had a mid-tier Frigidaire for probably almost ten years. It was a double convection oven glass top and we always liked it. The lower oven wasn't something we used super regular but the instances we needed it we sure were glad we had it. That said, the desire to have an induction cook top was overwhelming and I had to have one. I didn't want to spend $3-$4k to do it to keep our same functions we had currently.

I had a situation present itself where I could get a really nice Frigidaire that didn't have a double oven but it had not only an induction cook top but also had a very highly rated air fry option. It retailed for $1k and I was able to buy it for about $350 due to a large dent on the side at the bottom that was literally cosmetic and affected no aspects of it. The lower drawer slid open/close fine and nothing else was off with it at all. It was brand new and was a Best Buy Outlet situation where the delivery team goofed it up so they had to take it back. Brand new with the plastic on it and everything. Killer deal. I just swapped it in and was immediately surprised with how much better it looks than out outgoing range even though the outgoing one was technically a higher-end range. The new one looks more modern and sleek and as long as it functions as good as it looks (and I see no reason it won't) I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Finally I'm among the induction club!

Now to find a good deal on an induction capable pot/pan set.

p.s. that Electrolux I mentioned previously is still sitting out in the shop/garage. I've decided to just clean it up, take some good pics and list it on Craigslist to recoup my investment towards this new range I got. Someone else can make it their project as I just don't feel like dealing with it anymore. Ultimately I think the one I just put in will serve our needs perfectly.

Now to find a good deal on an induction capable pot/pan set.
I highly recommend Fissler Original-Pro pots and pans. These have a very thick bottom so they distribute the heat evenly, and they don't warp. They are not inexpensive. Don't get All-Clad. I got a few of them because of America's Test Kitchen recommendation. They warp badly, and it was a total waste of money.

I have a set of Ikea 365 pots which are heavy stainless steel and work well.
For frying I have a cast iron pan plus a few sizes of "Gotham Steel" ceramic coated which I got at Amazon and which have served me well. Sturdy handles, thick metal, etc.

I just happened to be a Costco earlier with a buddy and picked up this set for $200. Seems pretty nice and for the money I doubt I would need much more than that. I've got some cast iron I can use too. The Gotham Steel stuff was on my radar as well because it seems like I could get something really close to what I got at Costco for even less money and it seems to review well.

I just happened to be a Costco earlier with a buddy and picked up this set for $200. Seems pretty nice and for the money I doubt I would need much more than that. I've got some cast iron I can use too. The Gotham Steel stuff was on my radar as well because it seems like I could get something really close to what I got at Costco for even less money and it seems to review well.
Quick update to say that Costco has this set on sale right now for $50 off making it $149 and I was happy with my purchase (so far) at $199.

Reactions: nwdiver and iPlug
This morning while we were cooking brunch together, I commented to my wife how much I love our new induction cook top range. She was like "OMG, I was just getting ready to say the same thing" as I wiped some splattered grease from the cook the nigh before while she was already cooking on another burner. The elimination of scalded crap on the cook top that you have to deal with alone is worth the price of admission. The stupid fast boil times, increased efficiency and exact temperature control is just an added bonus.

I think the point of the article is that there are always small leaks from gas appliances and gas supply lines. Not enough to cause explosions but just a continuous leak of methane, damaging health and the environment.
There would be a lot more leaks if the proposal to mix in hydrogen went ahead (UK, other places). Luckily, it's mostly a way to fight electrification, renewables and will fail, except by slowing down EV/renewable adoption.

Reactions: mspohr
There would be a lot more leaks if the proposal to mix in hydrogen went ahead (UK, other places). Luckily, it's mostly a way to fight electrification, renewables and will fail, except by slowing down EV/renewable adoption.

Until Green H2 is 100% of H2 that's the dumbest thing ever. We use ~10B kg of H2/yr and ~95% of that comes from CH4. It would be beyond insane to use expensive H2 to displace CH4 while using CH4 to make H2....

Until Green H2 is 100% of H2 that's the dumbest thing ever. We use ~10B kg of H2/yr and ~95% of that comes from CH4. It would be beyond insane to use expensive H2 to displace CH4 while using CH4 to make H2....
It's an easy push by fossil fuels to the hard of thinking. People just think, "we have a pipe already". Any greenwashing will fall away as non-green hydrogen will "unfortunately" have to be used.

Reactions: mspohr

On the other hand if you're a country with a relatively high and growing percentage of variable renewables, a massive total wind power potential, a large current dependency on natural gas for heating and electricity, the least efficient housing stock on the continent, skilled labor shortages, and you're currently dealing with a massive spike in natural gas prices, in part due to the control of supply by hostile dictatorships, you might be looking for a simple way to take advantage of the variable renewables to displace natural gas in the current infrastructure, instead of waiting until you've replaced a large number of housing heating systems.

On the other hand if you're a country with a relatively high and growing percentage of variable renewables, a massive total wind power potential, a large current dependency on natural gas for heating and electricity, the least efficient housing stock on the continent, skilled labor shortages, and you're currently dealing with a massive spike in natural gas prices, in part due to the control of supply by hostile dictatorships, you might be looking for a simple way to take advantage of the variable renewables to displace natural gas in the current infrastructure, instead of waiting until you've replaced a large number of housing heating systems.
So you want to invest in H2 infrastructure rather than just feed the power to the grid? Electric heat, DHW, cooking is really cheap and easy. Much cheaper than electrolyzers, etc.