Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Wheels Have All Season Tires (not Summer Tires)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody.

I think it is worth knowing depending on your location, that the Model Y 20 inch Induction wheels have summer tires on them.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is what you'll see mounted on the Inductions.

Are you sure? There are two versions of the Goodyears:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 ("Max Performance Summer" at TireRack.com)
Model Y - 20 Induction - Tires - Goodyear (Non all-season, which is not the tire).png

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 All-Season ("Ultra High Performance All-Season" at TireRack.com)
Model Y - 20 Induction - Tires - Goodyear.png

Several people have taken pictures of the Induction stock tires and found them to be the All Season (M+S rated) variant. These are pretty damn decent all weather tires and way better in my opinion than the non-all-season variant of the same (way better than the Continental ProContact RX that come on the 19" Gemini wheels).

More details on the 19" vs 20" wheels and tires here: 19 vs 20 Decision Guide

Have you seen any reports that the Inductions came with Ealge F1s that were NOT the ultra high performance all-season variant?

Last edited:
After my test drive of a MY LR AWD with 19" wheels last week I was told by the SC that if I ordered the 20" Inductions they would come with summer tires. I've been reading the tire and wheel threads here with interest. I'm in Wisconsin and have always managed well in winter running good all-seasons on my AWD ICE cars and was really hoping the 20" would have the all-season F1s.

After my test drive of a MY LR AWD with 19" wheels last week I was told by the SC that if I ordered the 20" Inductions they would come with summer tires. I've been reading the tire and wheel threads here with interest. I'm in Wisconsin and have always managed well in winter running good all-seasons on my AWD ICE cars and was really hoping the 20" would have the all-season F1s.

Post above yours is yet another photo proving the Inductions come with the M+S rated All Season version.

And the Model Y manual even indicates the M+S stamp indicates All Season tires.

So far zero evidence any come with the summer tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mercedes fan
Hey everybody.

I think it is worth knowing depending on your location, that the Model Y 20 inch Induction wheels have summer tires on them.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is what you'll see mounted on the Inductions.

I too thought they were summer tires but after checking the sidewall and others here on the forum, they confirmed they are the All Season (M+S rated) variant. Just look for the "M+S" mud snow letters on the sidewall to check.

I get your concern too since you are in Chicago. It snowed on Halloween last year so we'll get to see how the MY performs in the snow in a few months.

This isn’t my car but seems strange that they wouldn’t use the same tire for all. View attachment 574906

Yeah, it's unfortunate that a lot of people have confused the two different versions of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. The myth is persistent.

It doesn't help that you can't actually buy a "Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 All-Season" aftermarket, but you *can* buy a "Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5" (non-all-season) aftermarket. You can of course buy the all-season version (without the labelled "5") aftermarket.

Post above yours is yet another photo proving the Inductions come with the M+S rated All Season version.

And the Model Y manual even indicates the M+S stamp indicates All Season tires.

So far zero evidence any come with the summer tire.
Thanks for the clarification. I was asking about the ride quality and that's when the rep offered that the 20's were summer tires - I was surprised by that and confirmed with him what he stated (3 times!). A bit disconcerting that the rep would get this wrong. Glad I found this thread before I ordered.

Reactions: MrTemple
Mine are also M+S. This is a big marketing fail on Goodyear's part. They should have different branding.

Don't really care though because I will throw these out in favor of much better tires before the first snowfall. My Model 3 currently has the Michelin Crossclimate+ and I have been very happy with them. They are 3 peak rated all season.

Mine are also M+S. This is a big marketing fail on Goodyear's part. They should have different branding.

Don't really care though because I will throw these out in favor of much better tires before the first snowfall. My Model 3 currently has the Michelin Crossclimate+ and I have been very happy with them. They are 3 peak rated all season.

Hmm those may finally unseat my beloved Continental DWSs as my favourite all-season.

The DWS is an all-season performance, while the Crossclimates are grand touring. From what I read that means you get a little more comfort with the grand touring at the cost of some handling. (Though that might mean more comfort if I can get them on the 20" inductions...)

My DWSs are so quiet and simply slice through puddles. I have put them on my vehicles for 10 years. They're not 3PMSF, though they are tested as very well performing in the snow. I can't seem to find a direct comparison between the two in snow.

If the Crossclimates can do as well as my dedicated snow tires in winter, I may finally forgo having two sets of wheels and tires...

More research to do...

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Hmm, reviews on tirerack saying the only downside is ride noise. Which in an ICE age car is saying something. My DWSs have always been whisper quiet.

Edit 2: Then again this review from a Tesla owner on TireRack, says they were concerned about the humm, but that it is quieter than the whir of the engine. They don't seem to have ever run a quiet tire (only OEMs), so I'm guessing that means they're pretty quiet, but not as quiet as a really quiet tire. Hmm.

Edit 3: Hmm, this post (WARNING against Michelin Cross Climate+ Tires) seems to indicate the wh/mi went up drastically when only adding two of the Crossclimates on the rear. Granted there are issues not running all 4 the same (he describes Autopilot issues which are certainly the cause of that), but efficiency shouldn't really be affected much by that.

Edit 4: This post (Michelin CrossClimate+) and the post below seems to say the efficiency took a 10% hit on these tires! Wow that's a lot. He also says noise is different but not really louder than the OEMs (which I imagine are not the quietest to begin with).

I think the efficiency hit is a dealbreaker for me. I'll stick to my Continental DWS 06 plus dedicated snow tires until something unseats them.

Edit 5: Ah heck. Now I watched this fantastic video (all charts in the first comment if you click show more), and it looks like the CrossClimates are just fantastic in dry and wet conditions here in the PNW, and not bad at all compared to dedicated snowies on (dry) snow.

Edit 6: The more I read, the more I think the reported CrossClimate worse efficiency is not quite true. Consumer Reports measured (paywalled but see pic below) on a dynamometer (speed unknown) and rated them Very Good. While the DWS were rated only Fair. And I found another test on TireRack measuring the fuel efficiency of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season (included on the 20" Inductions) against the Continental DWS and found the DWS were only 0.7% behind. To me that would indicate that the CrossClimates would be better than the stock tires on the 20" wheels I'm getting.

So... after reading so much more, people friggin love the CrossClimates. Finally a tire that can truly be used in winter for the PNW. And all that with great treadwear!

Now the only problem is that they're not available anywhere in the 255/40R20 that I need!!!

Continental DWS vs Michelin CrossClimate Plus.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
Hey everyone!

I was reading on tire rack that the M+S rating may apply to some summer tires. The tires on the inductions don't appear to have the siping that most A/S tires do. They look like a summer tire, but this may seem a silly way to make a call.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 5.52.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 5.52.14 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 342
Hey everyone!

I was reading on tire rack that the M+S rating may apply to some summer tires. The tires on the inductions don't appear to have the siping that most A/S tires do. They look like a summer tire, but this may seem a silly way to make a call.

Ive only heard of dodgy knockoffs that were Summer tires stamped with M+S.

The Model Y manual says M+S indicates All-Season.

Goodyear says the same.

The tread on the Induction wheel tires matches the Eagle F1 etc All-Season, but not the Eagle F1 etc Summer.

The Inductions have all-season tires.

Reactions: decrypt
M+S means "Mud & Snow".... The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) sets the guidelines for determining which tires can be properly designated mud & snow tires and display the marking. These guidelines specify certain requirements regarding treads. For better or worse they don't specify characteristics of the rubber itself.

Last edited: