Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the input. The temperature was 69 degrees after the overnight charge.
Dude in another thread just started got a refurb B pack (upgrade) from his blown 2012 original A pack, with 113k miles on the odo. No cost, under battery warranty.

So what's the issue here? Is there an issue.. ?

My worry factor is low.

My degradation with 150k km is less than 2% which has zero impact on my usage for the car.. pretty amazed with Tesla on these batteries.

Performance of the car is exactly the same as when I bought it. Not burning any extra oil, ha!
Please send more information on that thread. I would be very interested with chatting with him.

Reactions: Seven7
Everybody opposed to the OP seems to keep ignoring the fact that 16 miles range was indicated when the car actually had run out of juice and then Tesla suggests "well then just don't use that last 15% and you should be ok"

Reminds me of a story that was told to me by a very shady used car salesman

An angry customer comes into the used car lot (30 years ago when you had a payment book) and explains that his payment book has 60 pay stubs in it and you told me that my car would be payed off in 3 years, this looks like it will take five years! the used car salesman tells the customer that they must have made a mistake so he tore out the last 24 stubs and handed them back the pay book and said here you go, I asked if he really did that and he answered yeah, we were out of business before they came back at what they thought was the end of the loan!

I told him WTF! and he replied, well he couldn't have afforded the payment unless I put him in the 5 year loan but he only wanted a 3 year loan so I came up with a creative solution, I put him in a 5 year loan and told him it was a 3 year!

Everybody opposed to the OP seems to keep ignoring the fact that 16 miles range was indicated when the car actually had run out of juice and then Tesla suggests "well then just don't use that last 15% and you should be ok"

First off, not one person here is opposed to the OP. We just don't think he has provided any convincing evidence that contradicts Tesla's assertion that his problem is battery degradation.

Second, correct me if I got this wrong, but isn't the OP's oldest Tesla at the service center right now to try to recalibrate the old degraded battery so it will not report 16 miles range when it shuts down to protect the remaining battery life? In any case, battery degradation of this type can cause secondary issues, like inaccurate reporting of the remaining range which obviously wouldn't be covered under the "unlimited miles" battery warranty if the issue is a symptom of battery degradation.

This is a case of someone trying to get something they are not owed. We are not "opposed" to the person, we are only opposed to his belief that he is owed a new battery because he has provided no evidence of that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Seven7
Not literally the OP but his position obviously.

So you are the official spokesperson for all that do not agree with the OP?

I'm not the spokesperson, I'm simply stating my observation of the people who have posted here and no one has said anything that would lead me to think they are against him personally, as was your claim. Where did you get that idea?

I'm not the spokesperson, I'm simply stating my observation of the people who have posted here and no one has said anything that would lead me to think they are against him personally, as was your claim. Where did you get that idea?
You just quoted me where I corrected this with "Not literally the OP but his position obviously". but you still think that I mean that you oppose the actual OP and not the OP's position?

First off, not one person here is opposed to the OP. We just don't think he has provided any convincing evidence that contradicts Tesla's assertion that his problem is battery degradation.

Second, correct me if I got this wrong, but isn't the OP's oldest Tesla at the service center right now to try to recalibrate the old degraded battery so it will not report 16 miles range when it shuts down to protect the remaining battery life? In any case, battery degradation of this type can cause secondary issues, like inaccurate reporting of the remaining range which obviously wouldn't be covered under the "unlimited miles" battery warranty if the issue is a symptom of battery degradation.

This is a case of someone trying to get something they are not owed. We are not "opposed" to the person, we are only opposed to his belief that he is owed a new battery because he has provided no evidence of that.

Actually, Tesla has returned the car claiming to have fixed the problem by recalibrating. Up to that point they didn't have any sort of reasonable explanation as to what had happened. Now the OP has it back giving a rated range of 200 miles (it said 209 when he got it and quickly dropped to 200, but that seems within the realm of normalish unless it keeps dropping quickly). If it keeps working, then the problem is fixed. If it turns around and strands him again, it's not...at least that's how I see it.

Now the OP has it back giving a rated range of 200 miles. If it keeps working, then the problem is fixed. If it turns around and strands him again, it's not...at least that's how I see it.

It would be unusual if a battery in this condition didn't continue to slowly degrade. I wonder how much Tesla charged him for the fix of a non-warranty item? My guess is zero, just like the amount he paid for Super-charging during those 239,000 miles.

And his Super-charging is still free. So I can see why he would like to keep this car on the road for another 240-250,000 miles without forking out for a new battery, that would be sweet. But wanting something does not mean that it's owed to you.

Actually, Tesla has returned the car claiming to have fixed the problem by recalibrating. Up to that point they didn't have any sort of reasonable explanation as to what had happened. Now the OP has it back giving a rated range of 200 miles (it said 209 when he got it and quickly dropped to 200, but that seems within the realm of normalish unless it keeps dropping quickly). If it keeps working, then the problem is fixed. If it turns around and strands him again, it's not...at least that's how I see it.

You really need to read this entire thread if you feel that no one opposes me. You have also stated multiple inaccuracies during your posts. If you try reading the entire thread it might help before you keep on posting.

I am waiting on Tesla to define degradation in writing. I was told in the past verbally by a Tesla representative that degradation is “the slow deterioration of the battery over time”. Please read your own thread #454 in which you even state the battery will continue to degrade slowly. At least we can agree on that. So I will reiterate how that definition of degradation includes range indicator malfuntion staying that 16 miles are on the car. By the way Tesla has already replaced for that same problem and sited being “under warranty”(please refer to the article with Tesloop). They have also replaced batteries for have a sudden loss of battery capacity. I know those of you have stated that Tesla can apply the warranty as they please and were just being generous. If that is the case they need to site they were just being generous and not it was replaced because of being “under warranty”. But back to my point that it seems you and Tesla want to refer back to the word of degradation because that is the saving grace since it is what we all know that the battery can’t be replaced for degradation. Please show me Tesla’s definition of degradation. I am positive that I am not the only one that doesn’t know all the different factors or problems that Tesla considers degradation. I can say this for sure it is a lot more than the slow deterioration of the battery from my experiences(range indicator malfunction, sudden loss of battery capacity). Both were sited as degradation by Tesla. So where does it end.

I would like to quote Electricfan from his thread. “Do you think that's what Elon meant when he said "unlimited miles"? Seems to me he would have said "degradation isn't covered but to set your mind at ease, if the battery just completely dies and won't drive the car a single mile, then we'll give you a new one free of charge.". But he didn't say anything like that.

You keep referring that I should be happy about the “free supercharging” and the amount of miles on my car. Referring that I should just be content of what I have gotten. When I purchased the car I was told like many others that I would receive free supercharging for life and an 8 year/infinite mile warranty. I still don’t feel that I am owed anything else so
I strongly disagree with your comments about me trying to get something that is not owed. Thanks again for letting me get the word out about what has been going on with my car and what they have done about it. I appreciate your help!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Hmart, my personnal opinion is that you have a cell pack that is going out and it's bleeding the other cells packs down trying to balance it. It's not showing up until you use the pack down then the weak pack shows it's ugly head and then recalulates the SOC. Since you were pulling 360 that might have affected the weak cell pack more than normal. Have you driving your car down below 20% SOC since all the started because it would be interesting to see how many kw's you get out of it. You know that last time you pulled about 50kw out it.

Hmart, my personnal opinion is that you have a cell pack that is going out and it's bleeding the other cells packs down trying to balance it. It's not showing up until you use the pack down then the weak pack shows it's ugly head and then recalulates the SOC. Since you were pulling 360 that might have affected the weak cell pack more than normal. Have you driving your car down below 20% SOC since all the started because it would be interesting to see how many kw's you get out of it. You know that last time you pulled about 50kw out it.
I will let you know. Thanks for your input.