Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL TESLA OWNER SINCE 2013. MY FAMILY CURRENTLY OWNS A 2012 TESLA MODEL S 85, 2016 TESLA MODEL X 90 AND JUST MOST RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2018 MODEL S 100. THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON WE CONTINUE TO PURCHASE FROM TESLA IS THE INFINITE MILE BATTERY AND POWER TRAIN WARRANTY. MY 2012 TESLA MODEL S WAS PURCHASED IN 2013 AND THEREFORE THE WARRANTY DOESN'T EXPIRE UNTIL 2021. TESLA HAS REPLACED THE POWER TRAIN 3 DIFFERENT TIMES SINCE 2013 FOR THE MODEL S WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS IN HONORING THE WARRANTY. IN JANUARY OF 2019 WE BROKE DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY WITH 16 MILES LEFT ON THE RANGE INDICATOR AND ONLY 139 MILES ON THE CURRENT TRIP BEING TAKING. THE ONLY WARNING THE CAR GAVE ME AT THAT TIME WAS "BATTERY VERY LOW, NEEDS CHARGING" ONCE WE HAD BROKE DOWN. I HAD BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS FOR YEARS WITH THE DECREASING BATTERY RANGE AND TESLA JUST SAYING IT IS DEGRADATION OR THE WAY I DRIVE IT. I DRIVE ALL OF THE VEHICLES THE SAME. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE AMOUNT OF MILES THE 2012 ACTUALLY GETS WHEN DRIVING. THE BATTERY CAPACITY WAS GETTING AROUND 175 MILES PER TRIP CHARGE BEFORE THE MOST RECENT BREAK DOWN. TESLA IS NOT WAVERING ON NOT REPLACING THE BATTERY. THE HOUSTON NORTH SERVICE CENTER ACTUALLY RESPONDED THAT THE WARRANTY CLEARLY STATES DEGRADATION ISN'T COVERED. MY ARGUMENT WAS THIS IS CLEARLY MORE THAN DEGRADATION BUT THEY SAID THIS IS WHAT UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS TOLD ME TO SAY. I TOLD THEM THAT I HAVE READ IN OTHER ARTICLES THAT BATTERIES HAVE BEEN REPLACED FOR THE SAME ISSUES THAT I AM HAVING BUT THE RESPONSE I GOT WAS STILL THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE THE BATTERY. I ASKED HOW LOW THE BATTERY HAS TO GET FOR THEM TO HONOR THE WARRANTY AND THE RESPONSE I GOT WAS IF IT ISN'T A HARDWARE ISSUE THAT THEY WOULDN'T REPLACE THE BATTERY. I RESPONDED BY SAYING SO THE CAR COULD GET DOWN TO 50 MILES OF BATTERY RANGE AND YOU COULD SAY IT IS JUST DEGRADATION. THE RESPONSE WAS YES. I DESPERATELY WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO GET TESLA TO HONOR THE WARRANTY AND TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT TESLA'S NEW POLICY ON BATTERY REPLACEMENT.

May be, I am getting old or my eyes are not calibrated to read all caps.

I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL TESLA OWNER SINCE 2013. MY FAMILY CURRENTLY OWNS A 2012 TESLA MODEL S 85, 2016 TESLA MODEL X 90 AND JUST MOST RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2018 MODEL S 100. THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON WE CONTINUE TO PURCHASE FROM TESLA IS THE INFINITE MILE BATTERY AND POWER TRAIN WARRANTY. MY 2012 TESLA MODEL S WAS PURCHASED IN 2013 AND THEREFORE THE WARRANTY DOESN'T EXPIRE UNTIL 2021. TESLA HAS REPLACED THE POWER TRAIN 3 DIFFERENT TIMES SINCE 2013 FOR THE MODEL S WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS IN HONORING THE WARRANTY. IN JANUARY OF 2019 WE BROKE DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY WITH 16 MILES LEFT ON THE RANGE INDICATOR AND ONLY 139 MILES ON THE CURRENT TRIP BEING TAKING. THE ONLY WARNING THE CAR GAVE ME AT THAT TIME WAS "BATTERY VERY LOW, NEEDS CHARGING" ONCE WE HAD BROKE DOWN. I HAD BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS FOR YEARS WITH THE DECREASING BATTERY RANGE AND TESLA JUST SAYING IT IS DEGRADATION OR THE WAY I DRIVE IT. I DRIVE ALL OF THE VEHICLES THE SAME. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE AMOUNT OF MILES THE 2012 ACTUALLY GETS WHEN DRIVING. THE BATTERY CAPACITY WAS GETTING AROUND 175 MILES PER TRIP CHARGE BEFORE THE MOST RECENT BREAK DOWN. TESLA IS NOT WAVERING ON NOT REPLACING THE BATTERY. THE HOUSTON NORTH SERVICE CENTER ACTUALLY RESPONDED THAT THE WARRANTY CLEARLY STATES DEGRADATION ISN'T COVERED. MY ARGUMENT WAS THIS IS CLEARLY MORE THAN DEGRADATION BUT THEY SAID THIS IS WHAT UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS TOLD ME TO SAY. I TOLD THEM THAT I HAVE READ IN OTHER ARTICLES THAT BATTERIES HAVE BEEN REPLACED FOR THE SAME ISSUES THAT I AM HAVING BUT THE RESPONSE I GOT WAS STILL THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE THE BATTERY. I ASKED HOW LOW THE BATTERY HAS TO GET FOR THEM TO HONOR THE WARRANTY AND THE RESPONSE I GOT WAS IF IT ISN'T A HARDWARE ISSUE THAT THEY WOULDN'T REPLACE THE BATTERY. I RESPONDED BY SAYING SO THE CAR COULD GET DOWN TO 50 MILES OF BATTERY RANGE AND YOU COULD SAY IT IS JUST DEGRADATION. THE RESPONSE WAS YES. I DESPERATELY WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO GET TESLA TO HONOR THE WARRANTY AND TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT TESLA'S NEW POLICY ON BATTERY REPLACEMENT.

I suspect TesLoop got special treatment because they wanted to study the battery. I think it's been explicity reported that Tesla wanted to do a post-mortem on it. They were to first to rack up so many miles so quickly.
That does not make it right, they should extend the same courtesy to all, it looks bad for Tesla to only cater to high profile customers.

Because they wanted to exam one pack early the life span from a high mileage vehicle they now have to do it for everyone for ever? Umm. No, that isn't reasonable.
This does not appear to be the only instance, just the highest profile one that is easiest to quote.

If you believe this is a "one off" then why would you think that they would not be interested in a pack from a car with normal usage that falls so far out of the norm with at least 21% degradation?

IMO Tesla have been kind to high profile users such as Tesloop and youtubers so that they receive less negative press as we ALL know Tesla receives the second most negative press around (Next to our President) and most of this negative Tesla press is unfounded so they went out of their way to take better care of the people who were in a position to spread bad news.

What sounds better, Tesloop extolling the virtues of a car with over 400,000 miles while any problems that arose were covered under warranty or...?

I LOVE my car and am an EV convert for life because of Tesla but I also sympathize with the OP and do not think that he is out of line, unlimited mile battery warranty means unlimited, they obviously were rethinking this with the model 3 battery warranty as well they should.

Last edited:
Because they wanted to exam one pack early the life span from a high mileage vehicle they now have to do it for everyone for ever? Umm. No, that isn't reasonable.

If that was the case, they probably should have had Tesloop sign an NDA. Making it clear this is NOT a warranty replacement, this is us wanting to examine a high mileage pack, and we do not want you spreading the word around and setting a precedent.

Just from the top of my head I know of 4 cases with high profile users who got a battery replacement or some other special treatment to keep them happy knowing they have large social media following or publicity. Nothing wrong with that. That's fair. What isn't fair is to deny legit warranty claims to 'non name' people that have the exact same issues as the famous ones.

It's not just the caps. It's the lack of formatting of text. It makes you look mental, and destroys credibility.

Seriously this does not sound very credible ... and it is a rant ... if you want to be heard than don’t post a stream of conciseness and expect people to get behind you ... facts facts facts and laynit out

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Just from the top of my head I know of 4 cases with high profile users who got a battery replacement or some other special treatment to keep them happy knowing they have large social media following or publicity. Nothing wrong with that. That's fair. What isn't fair is to deny legit warranty claims to 'non name' people that have the exact same issues as the famous ones.

And their batteries didn't fail? (We know Tesloop was special.)

I think of this like with hard drives in my servers. They come with a standard warranty that replaces them once they fail. I pay extra to get coverage to replace them once it is predicted that they will fail.

I think everyone knows that the OPs battery is likely to actually fail fairly soon. It just isn't to that point yet, and the Tesla warranty doesn't cover predicted failures.

Seriously this does not sound very credible ... and it is a rant ... if you want to be heard than don’t post a stream of conciseness and expect people to get behind you ... facts facts facts and laynit out
Honestly, guys, this was addressed in pages 1 and 2, and the OP has mended their ways. No sense beating a dead horse.