Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a good question. I don't know. I never asked since it was under warranty and Tesla has always made it right with the drive unit.
I have wondered the same thing about what Tesla's costs have been on the vehicle but the warranty is the main reason we continued to buy from Tesla. It makes owners feel more confident about their purchase when they see "8 year/infinite mile warranty for the battery and drive unit" I have actually defended Tesla to many people who were skeptical about the car and always tried to justify the purchase given the amount of miles I planned on using it for.

To me, the eight year, infinite mile warranty would cover me if my car won't run due to the battery going completely bad. It's my understanding that his car is still operable, but with reduced range caused by battery degradation over the last seven years.

Do you think that's what Elon meant when he said "unlimited miles"? Seems to me he would have said "degradation isn't covered but to set your mind at ease, if the battery just completely dies and won't drive the car a single mile, then we'll give you a new one free of charge.". But he didn't say anything like that.

Reactions: HMARTINPT
@HMARTINPT, I wanted to let you know that while I have made some comical posts in this thread relating to the ALL CAPS (could not help myself!) It was all in good fun and I made several posts here defending you as I personally believe you are right, you are owed based on the unlimited mile warranty and as others have said that you will almost definitely get a new battery before the 8 years is up as this one seems on its last leg for sure (of course I'm no battery expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!), GOOD LUCK CAP MAN AND SAFE TRAVELS!

Do you think that's what Elon meant when he said "unlimited miles"? Seems to me he would have said "degradation isn't covered but to set your mind at ease, if the battery just completely dies and won't drive the car a single mile, then we'll give you a new one free of charge.". But he didn't say anything like that.

According to his first post his battery has at least 139 miles of range, but he insists that he is owed a new battery. If his battery were down to something ridiculously low, then I would agree that he is due a new battery, but it's not.

According to his first post his battery has at least 139 miles of range, but he insists that he is owed a new battery. If his battery were down to something ridiculously low, then I would agree that he is due a new battery, but it's not.
That's pretty low. My 2013 60kWh S gets 185 miles of range. Granted he has more miles on his but still. He doesn't have to get a brand new battery, could receive a reconditioned pack with some miles on it.

That's pretty low. My 2013 60kWh S gets 185 miles of range. Granted he has more miles on his but still. He doesn't have to get a brand new battery, could receive a reconditioned pack with some miles on it.

I think that would be fair, but for him to come on here and post a one sided all caps rant that Tesla is screwing him and his family is BS. He makes the impression ( to me) that he is being unreasonable and threatening to trash Tesla on the internet unless they provide him with a new battery.

I think that would be fair, but for him to come on here and post a one sided all caps rant that Tesla is screwing him and his family is BS. He makes the impression ( to me) that he is being unreasonable and threatening to trash Tesla on the internet unless they provide him with a new battery.
Once again Tesla has replaced more high profile users batteries(ie Tesloop-please read previous published articles just last year about the battery being covered “under warranty”) for the same issues that I am having with my car. In regards to being one sided I have posted what Tesla was willing to do(15% discount on a $25000 battery) and have also given Tesla credit for doing right in multiple posts(ie replacing 3 drive trains). I am sorry if you were offended by the all CAPS but it definitely helped get the word out as seen by the number of views on this site In less than a week. Every time you complain about the all CAPS more people are viewing what happen to me and my family and what Tesla has done about it. So for that I thank you! CAP MAN OUT.

P.S. AT LEAST I CAN LAUGH AT MYSELF ABOUT IT!!!

Ok just got through this thread and I suggest OP try to get the Tesla spy tool and scan the battery modules. That is a small cost & hassle but would be helpful in pushing Tesla to replace the battery. On the other hand I agree with others that it is likely this pack will fail in the next six months and they will be forced to replace it.

I know most of the people on this thread do not live in Houston and don't understand the crazy distances and speeds of Texas highway travel. Having a car that originally had 260 miles of rated range down to 139 miles is not really useful in Houston. There are not many charging spots either which compounds the issues.

For my small Texas data point my S85 originally charged to 265 RM now around 255 RM which is still ok for my stretch trips for the most part especially driving from College Station to downtown Houston and back without charging. If I drop below 200 the car becomes much less usable for any day trip in Texas.

Ok just got through this thread and I suggest OP try to get the Tesla spy tool and scan the battery modules. That is a small cost & hassle but would be helpful in pushing Tesla to replace the battery. On the other hand I agree with others that it is likely this pack will fail in the next six months and they will be forced to replace it.

I know most of the people on this thread do not live in Houston and don't understand the crazy distances and speeds of Texas highway travel. Having a car that originally had 260 miles of rated range down to 139 miles is not really useful in Houston. There are not many charging spots either which compounds the issues.

For my small Texas data point my S85 originally charged to 265 RM now around 255 RM which is still ok for my stretch trips for the most part especially driving from College Station to downtown Houston and back without charging. If I drop below 200 the car becomes much less usable for any day trip in Texas.
GO AGS!!!! I use to make that College Station trip a lot. Unable to do so now obviously with my car’s battery capacity without charging. Tesla has been telling me for years that a SC was going in College Station. The last I heard from them was the end of 2017. Have you heard anything else on the College Station SC?

That is the exactly kind of attitude that turns people away. If you had written all caps, unintentionally or just as an expression of anger, that is perhaps understandable. But you made a calculated ploy by doing something that is frowned upon just to get attention and eyeballs. Some people behave like dicks - like the buffoon in the white house - to get attention. Are you one of them?
I will take the high road again and just ignore your rude comments like many other TMC members have advised me to do.

A 25% capacity loss falls under the category of "failed" by normal industry standards. Typical degradation for Tesla packs should be, on average, more like 10% loss after 500k miles, statistically speaking. A 25% theoretical range loss after half as many miles is about 5 times the average rate of degradation. That does not sound normal to me.

Also, if the "10 miles remaining" estimate was accurate on the previous trip, then the vehicle lost about 25 miles of range in three months. At that rate of decline, the pack probably won't last much longer no matter what you do, and it's only a matter of time before it starts shutting down at a higher and higher SoC.

If you want to maximize the chances of getting a free replacement (albeit at some personal risk), your best bet would be to charge to 100% every time, drive as aggressively as possible, and run the battery down as low as you can every time, making Tesla tow you every time it runs out before it hits zero. I'd say you have a high probability of the pack completely failing to take a charge long before the warranty runs out if you do that. Even better, at up to $250 per tow, if you can manage to reproduce the failure once per week, it will cost Tesla more in towing than it would have cost them to replace the battery. :)

That said, I would worry about whether the pack is even safe to use at this point. After all, a vehicle experiencing a sudden shutdown 10+ miles before it was expected to run out of battery strongly implies a sudden voltage drop under load, and in Lithium ion cells, sudden voltage sags frequently indicates dendrite growth, which can cause localized overheating and venting with flame. So when I say "albeit at some personal risk", I'm not kidding. If this were my car, I would refuse to take possession of any vehicle that experienced any sort of sudden shutdown above zero miles of reported range unless the manufacturer provided certification in writing that the pack did not pose an elevated risk of fire.

Please explain to everyone how the battery hasn't "failed" when you take a trip with SOC at 209 and the car stops at 139 with the range indicator stating that you have 16 miles of range left. You can also check the Tesloop site where Tesla has replaced the battery for failure for those two reasons.

If you haven't already, please file a NHTSA complaint and report the problem in detail. Vehicles shutting down in the middle of the highway are potentially very dangerous in and of themselves. And if the battery later fails catastrophically, then a NHTSA complaint will make it obvious that Tesla was aware of the problem and behaved negligently, which will substantially increase the resulting damage award.

A 25% capacity loss (after 240k miles) falls under the category of "failed" by normal industry standards

said who?

couple of things:

- You are extrapolating the low capacity loss for a small number of known 100k to 150k mile cars

- There have been very few known Teslas that have this much mileage, and sure they did not have 25% range loss. But those datapoints are so small to make any conclusion.

- But even assuming that most of the Teslas with 200k+ miles have low range loss, so what? OP was unlucky, in the same way that my Honda van transmission broke at 90k miles, which is super rare for a Honda. Can I go demand that Honda fix it for free because it is super rare?

Note: I added the bold &italics words in your quote to give the full context for that sentence.

• Informative
Reactions: Seven7 and MP3Mike
A 25% capacity loss falls under the category of "failed" by normal industry standards

Really? GM only covers after a 40% loss on the Bolt, Tesla covers after a 30% loss on the Model 3, and Nissan covers after a ~34% loss on the Leaf, BMW i3 30%, Kia Soul EV 30%, Mercedes B250e 30%, VW eGolf 30%, Model S&X not covered, Fiat 500e not covered, Ford Focuse Electric not covered, Mitsubishi I-MiEV not covered.

So where are you getting that a 25% loss is "failed" by "normal industry standards"? It doesn't seem like there is currently a standard. And if there is it is either no coverage or 30%.