Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Young Elon getting a phone call from the future perhaps? :rolleyes:

If I were to guess it's that he feels as excited as that little kid right now. His company is poised to take EV to an all new level and he's in the driver's seat while it happens. Very few CEOs actually have the exciting ride he has right now between this and SpaceX. They are actually making the future, not just spectating.

• Love
Reactions: bxr140
The only thing I worry about with fabric seats vs faux leather is the ease of cleaning, especially with kids or dog hair that likes to penetrate through and stick to cloth.

Can't speak for dog hair but I have 3 kids ages 14, 11, and 6. Most of our vehicles have had cloth seats but I've never had to worry about it. No food/drink in the car except for water... On long trips I just tell them to be careful and make sure the snacks aren't messy. If they're getting dirty shoes anywhere but on the floormats then the problem is not with the car or materials.

I'd say just get a Dyson vacuum and you're set. Better than the cost of the leather plus keeping it properly cleaned and treated.

Can't speak for dog hair but I have 3 kids ages 14, 11, and 6. Most of our vehicles have had cloth seats but I've never had to worry about it. No food/drink in the car except for water... On long trips I just tell them to be careful and make sure the snacks aren't messy. If they're getting dirty shoes anywhere but on the floormats then the problem is not with the car or materials.

I'd say just get a Dyson vacuum and you're set. Better than the cost of the leather plus keeping it properly cleaned and treated.
I think we have the same idea on the actual material performance. Leather is not as durable as a high-quality cloth seat, and leather requires the most upkeep. I think faux leather is just as durable as cloth, but at the same time it's more resilient to abuse. Short wiry dog hair is like velcro. It pokes its way into a soft material and doesn't want to let go. It would depend how tight the weave of the fabric is I suppose. One performance benefit of cloth seats is that they really hold you in place a lot better than leather or faux leather.

I think we have the same idea on the actual material performance. Leather is not as durable as a high-quality cloth seat, and leather requires the most upkeep. I think faux leather is just as durable as cloth, but at the same time it's more resilient to abuse. Short wiry dog hair is like velcro. It pokes its way into a soft material and doesn't want to let go. It would depend how tight the weave of the fabric is I suppose. One performance benefit of cloth seats is that they really hold you in place a lot better than leather or faux leather.
In my last ICE (A Jetta, I had cloth seats. People were shocked to realize that I didn't have a dog, but it was cat hair transfer. Once I month I would try and hand pick every barbed hair out of the seats. What a pain. One of the reasons I love non-cloth. I'd be good with synthetic leathers.

Reactions: Jaff
In my last ICE (A Jetta, I had cloth seats. People were shocked to realize that I didn't have a dog, but it was cat hair transfer. Once I month I would try and hand pick every barbed hair out of the seats. What a pain. One of the reasons I love non-cloth. I'd be good with synthetic leathers.
I used to go out to lunch with a few coworkers and being the shortest, I would often sit in the back. I noticed all of the white fur on the black back seats and was going to ask the driver about his dog/cat until I realized it wasn't fur...but the driver's hair. :(

Last edited:
I am really thrilled that Elon was posting on Twitter yesterday! I was discouraged by the initial launch. A little by the front end of the car and more majorly by the dash/steering wheel design.

The front has been slowly growing on me and I kind of like it now. Part of the reason I feel it was so in my face is because at the events the cars were up high and the nose was pretty much at eye level. I think it is more important to look at the car where the nose is more at knee level. In those photos the car looks sharp. I don't plan on laying on the ground to evaluate most cars front ends. In fact I think if you look at the 3 series BMW from that angle it has similar bluntiness. Plus if you look at the X and ignore the small grill opening the lines are similar. Perhaps Tesla is trying to keep the blunt nose as a new design language that will appear in all its upcoming models to identify the brand from a distance. Some cars this helps and others it really doesn't (like Acura I used to love Acuras but I really dislike their nose design language now and unfortunately it is on every car they make).

Second about the dash it is slightly growing on me too but I still have major concerns. It was nice that Elon addressed it and I do feel that now whatever I get (I still plan on buying) it will be the future. I do have some concerns about the vents. I really love having air blowing on my face on hot days and I hope I can achieve that with their new system.

With the possibility, or probability, of some autonomous features, the risk of falling asleep increases. As a professional truck driver with 33 years of experience, I can say with certainty, the most beneficial (and legal) aids to keeping awake, were the fear of imminent death (if you fell asleep), a cool environment, (with a controlled flow of air on your face), a live conversation to stimulate your brain, and some hot coffee, (I did not smoke). So be careful what you wish for. I slept well in a Hyatt Hotel, with tricked out AC that had no fan, hence no fan noise. But the key word there is SLEPT.

Scannerman

I am really thrilled that Elon was posting on Twitter yesterday! I was discouraged by the initial launch. A little by the front end of the car and more majorly by the dash/steering wheel design.

The front has been slowly growing on me and I kind of like it now. Part of the reason I feel it was so in my face is because at the events the cars were up high and the nose was pretty much at eye level. I think it is more important to look at the car where the nose is more at knee level. In those photos the car looks sharp. I don't plan on laying on the ground to evaluate most cars front ends. In fact I think if you look at the 3 series BMW from that angle it has similar bluntiness. Plus if you look at the X and ignore the small grill opening the lines are similar. Perhaps Tesla is trying to keep the blunt nose as a new design language that will appear in all its upcoming models to identify the brand from a distance. Some cars this helps and others it really doesn't (like Acura I used to love Acuras but I really dislike their nose design language now and unfortunately it is on every car they make).

Second about the dash it is slightly growing on me too but I still have major concerns. It was nice that Elon addressed it and I do feel that now whatever I get (I still plan on buying) it will be the future. I do have some concerns about the vents. I really love having air blowing on my face on hot days and I hope I can achieve that with their new system.

With the possibility, or probability, of some autonomous features, the risk of falling asleep increases. As a professional truck driver with 33 years of experience, I can say with certainty, the most beneficial (and legal) aids to keeping awake, were the fear of imminent death (if you fell asleep), a cool environment, (with a controlled flow of air on your face), a live conversation to stimulate your brain, and some hot coffee, (I did not smoke). So be careful what you wish for. I slept well in a Hyatt Hotel, with tricked out AC that had no fan, hence no fan noise. But the key word there is SLEPT.

Scannerman
I'm a bit concerned about this space ship / U shaped steering wheel. It's going to be realy funky driving with a u shaped wheel. I"m not the type of driver that keeps both hands at 9 and 3'oclock all the time.

Have you considered the endless hours that Airline Pilots, and other pilots, for that matter, spend controlling an Aircraft, holding onto what is called a 'Yoke' (Excepting some newer aircraft with fly by wire controls similar to many military aircraft)? I have about 300 hours of flight time in General Aviation Aircraft, which had a yoke, and it is quite comfortable. Plus the opening at the top would provide an enhanced view of the lower portion of the windshield, which might be well suited for a HUD (Heads up display of certain data, on the inside of the windshield).

Scannerman

Figured it might be best to have a consolidated thread for all of the information and hints that Elon is dropping on Twitter right now around the Model 3, since every time he tweets another thread is made just for that one instance.

Is there a way to make a wiki page that is editable by everyone? If not I can try and keep up with updating ad he posts:

• RWD will be Standard, AWD upgrade (tweet)
    • AWD upgrade will be less than 5k (tweet)
    • AWD adjusts every ~.01 sec (tweet)
    • Production AWD will be faster than AWD cars used for reveal test drives (tweet)
  • There will be an optional Tow Hitch (tweet)
  • Dashboard will make more sense after part 2 reveal (tweet)
  • Steering controls on prototype shown are not the final iteration (tweet)(tweet 2)
  • Some tweaks being made to front of car (tweet)
  • Aerodynamic coefficient goal is 0.21 (tweet)

• The Model3 won't be a hatchback, but he believes they can increase the opening size (tweet)
    • Q: "The trunk opening on the model 3 now is rather very small, any chance of increasing its size?"
    • EM: "won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height"
  • Vegan Interior will be an option for Model3 (tweet)
  • He is serious about cowbells (tweet)
    • EM: "Signing off from impromptu Twitter AMA. Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, we really will have more cow bells."
  • Tall people can fit ( tweet)
Thanks for this recap. I am glad to hear the that he trunk opening will be bigger (family car #fit stroller) . This will be a dream come true for our family to become Tesla owners !

Reactions: tdelta1000
Have you considered the endless hours that Airline Pilots, and other pilots, for that matter, spend controlling an Aircraft, holding onto what is called a 'Yoke' (Excepting some newer aircraft with fly by wire controls similar to many military aircraft)? I have about 300 hours of flight time in General Aviation Aircraft, which had a yoke, and it is quite comfortable. Plus the opening at the top would provide an enhanced view of the lower portion of the windshield, which might be well suited for a HUD (Heads up display of certain data, on the inside of the windshield).

Scannerman

I would doubt that an open yoke arrangement would work where it would be turned through more than 60 or 90 degrees. From my time in Civil Aviation craft, ISTR it never goes anywhere near the 'all the way round' as a steering wheel normally does.

Dunno if an open top format with the 'hooks' of the sides would work in that situation.

Figured it might be best to have a consolidated thread for all of the information and hints that Elon is dropping on Twitter right now around the Model 3, since every time he tweets another thread is made just for that one instance.

Is there a way to make a wiki page that is editable by everyone? If not I can try and keep up with updating ad he posts:

• RWD will be Standard, AWD upgrade (tweet)
    • AWD upgrade will be less than 5k (tweet)
    • AWD adjusts every ~.01 sec (tweet)
    • Production AWD will be faster than AWD cars used for reveal test drives (tweet)
  • There will be an optional Tow Hitch (tweet)
  • Dashboard will make more sense after part 2 reveal (tweet)
  • Steering controls on prototype shown are not the final iteration (tweet)(tweet 2)
  • Some tweaks being made to front of car (tweet)
  • Aerodynamic coefficient goal is 0.21 (tweet)

• The Model3 won't be a hatchback, but he believes they can increase the opening size (tweet)
    • Q: "The trunk opening on the model 3 now is rather very small, any chance of increasing its size?"
    • EM: "won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height"
  • Vegan Interior will be an option for Model3 (tweet)
  • He is serious about cowbells (tweet)
    • EM: "Signing off from impromptu Twitter AMA. Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, we really will have more cow bells."
  • Tall people can fit ( tweet)
Without the "moon" roof on the "S", my hair would be touching the ceiling. Is there any tweet that addresses headroom and not legroom?

Without the "moon" roof on the "S", my hair would be touching the ceiling. Is there any tweet that addresses headroom and not legroom?

How tall are you? and are you talking about hitting the ceiling in the drivers seat or rear in the S?

Just worried about the future of me getting an S. I'm 6,3.

P.S Welcome to the forum. :)

I wouldn't bet on that. We have a Corgi (shedding machine) and it's impossible to keep the cloth seats fur free. Even the most advanced Dyson, which we have, cannot remove hairs that are literally embedded in the weave of the cloth - no matter how tight a weave. It can only remove surface hairs. To remove the embedded hairs, you gotta pluck them out by hand, one by one. We know the pain.

When we know we are going to have a co-worker or guest ride with us, we make sure to take our second car with the leather seats. That one only needs a simple wipe down with a lint roller. Waiting for the day we have both cars with leather seats and we don't get to fight over which one gets to drive that car! :D

Entering a car with cloth seats, can be somewhat difficult, for a person of advanced age, or one with certain physical limitations. Sliding across a leather surface can be much easier.

Scannerman

Entering a car with cloth seats, can be somewhat difficult, for a person of advanced age, or one with certain physical limitations. Sliding across a leather surface can be much easier.

Scannerman
Excellent point! While I am not old, I do suffer from limitations due to suffering 2 knee blowouts when I was a kid. Getting into cars with leather and cloth seats can be a world of difference. The width of the door sill also makes a big difference in whether I can easily get in or whether it will be a struggle. So long as entry and exit is well designed, cloth is not much of an issue for me. If entry and exit are poorly designed, then I would prefer synthetic leather or real leather to slide in and out.