Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Model 3 announcement, Elon said that about 50% of the people want a sedan and the other 50% want an SUV. The last I heard there were 400,000 reservations. Unless Tesla ships the M3 sedan and SUV at the same time, Elon needs to adjust the reservations to 200,000. Yes, I know he still has the other 200,000 $1,000 reservations.

My wife wants an M3 SUV and said she will not wait 2 to 3 years to get one. If Tesla did not do the Falcon doors on the M3 SUV, there should be minimum body changes other than making it taller and squaring off the back.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
In the Model 3 announcement, Elon said that about 50% of the people want a sedan and the other 50% want an SUV. The last I heard there were 400,000 reservations. Unless Tesla ships the M3 sedan and SUV at the same time, Elon needs to adjust the reservations to 200,000.

100% of this reservations is for the sedan Model 3. Theoretically they would have ~800k reservations if they had announced the Model Y (the Gen-III CUV) at the same time.

• Disagree
Reactions: JSBulmer
100% of this reservations is for the sedan Model 3. Theoretically they would have ~800k reservations if they had announced the Model Y (the Gen-III CUV) at the same time.
I don't know.. if a CUV version of the Model 3 (a model Y, basically) was announced before the Model 3 goes into production, and reservation holders were permitted to transfer their reservation to the Model Y... I think there would be significant takeup.

I don't know.. if a CUV version of the Model 3 (a model Y, basically) was announced before the Model 3 goes into production, and reservation holders were permitted to transfer their reservation to the Model Y... I think there would be significant takeup.

Yes, I'm sure your right at this, but I do not think that half of the reservation holders would expect to get a "Model 3 CUV", and cancel the reservation when they do find out that it's not. But yes, there is surly some that want a SUV/CUV, but can do with a sedan and do not want to wait for the Model Y that has reserved the Model 3. But probably not half of the reservation holders (and that is what I was answering to).

Why would someone wish for a car other than the one they just ordered? The M3 is a sedan, not a pickup or SUV or hatchback. When those cars are offered, wish for them, not for a change in what IS offered.

Reactions: JSBulmer
Why would someone wish for a car other than the one they just ordered?

If they DO want an BEV with good range, there is not a lot of models to select... "I want a SUV, but if a sedan is the only choice... I may replace it with Model Y when that one arrive in a few years."

... and I want a wagon, or at least a liftback, but if a sedan is the only choice.... :p

Why would tens of thousands place a $1,000 deposit for a car that they've never seen? :D

I just want a Tesla - ANY TESLA - that I can afford and get my hands on it ASAP. Model 3 sedan is great, but if I like the Model Y better and it won't be a much longer wait I might just go for the Y instead (and get me some falcon wings, too). With 19 months left to Dec 2017, which to me is like forever, I might just have to "settle" :p for the 3.

Plus, I will need to factor in the cost savings from the $7,500 US federal tax credit as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weezer Fan

Plenty of people changed their Model S reservation to a Model X. Why not ask them?

At the moment I have a Mazda6 station wagon. A car with similar space and access would be ideal, but it is something I would willing to forgo in order to get the other benefits of the Model 3. If the option became available, I would very likely consider changing.

25% of those people didn't know it was a sedan when they ordered it. Many more would do anything for a compelling electric car, even put up with a small trunk sedan. No car is perfect for all one's requirements, so there is always compromises made. Offer a Model 3 in liftback, hatchback, etc and see what happens.

Thank you kindly.

Why would tens of thousands place a $1,000 deposit for a car that they've never seen? :D

I just want a Tesla - ANY TESLA - that I can afford and get my hands on it ASAP. Model 3 sedan is great, but if I like the Model Y better and it won't be a much longer wait I might just go for the Y instead (and get me some falcon wings, too). With 19 months left to Dec 2017, which to me is like forever, I might just have to "settle" :p for the 3.

Plus, I will need to factor in the cost savings from the $7,500 US federal tax credit as well.

I can virtually guarantee you that no future Tesla that is in the price range of a Model 3 will ever come with Falcon Wing doors.

Reactions: melindav
As usual, Tesla will deliver all the Model 3 vehicles they can possibly produce. When supply reaches demand, the will announce another model that again will drive up demand.

They have mentioned convertibles, trucks, new roadsters, smaller SUV, and maybe a hatchback, but all will be years away.

They have listened to people wanting a hatchback, but wisely they will go first with the much more popular 4 door sedan. They have mentioned that they intend to enlarge the rear trunk opening to allow larger items to be placed inside. Other Tesla's (except original roadster) have rear fold down seats to enable carrying bulky items, skiis or snowboards.

I can virtually guarantee you that no future Tesla that is in the price range of a Model 3 will ever come with Falcon Wing doors.
I think at various times over the last 6 months, Tesla engineers have put some thought into a flux capacitor in order to go back and stuff the guy in a broom closet that said "you know what would be really cool?! falcon wing doors!" and stick with standard doors on the X.

Impressing given that Elon has said that Model Y will get the falcon wing doors ;) But of course he may change his mind...

25% of those people didn't know it was a sedan when they ordered it.

How could they not know that? It was announced as the "Model 3 sedan" all along. But they may have thought it would be a "liftback sedan" like the Model S sedan.