Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How could they not know that? It was announced as the "Model 3 sedan" all along. But they may have thought it would be a "liftback sedan" like the Model S sedan.

Fine. The use of the words is not consistent here, and people get bent out of shape if others use different uses than they want. Whatever.

I trust my point is clear. 115,000 people pre-ordered sight unseen.

Thank you kindly.

25% of those people didn't know it was a sedan when they ordered it. Many more would do anything for a compelling electric car, even put up with a small trunk sedan. No car is perfect for all one's requirements, so there is always compromises made. Offer a Model 3 in liftback, hatchback, etc and see what happens.
Thank you kindly.

And I was one of many that was surprised and disappointed when the Model 3 was a sedan after I put down a reservation sight unseen. I was expecting a lift back like the Model S. Not sure whether I will pull the trigger on the sedan. Will be interested to see what the final version looks like since Elon tweeted the opening would be larger. Obviously there is only so much they can do with the opening, I also suspect the number was actually higher than 25% based on everyone's feedback who were in line with me at the store.

Reactions: Lukas99
And I was one of many that was surprised and disappointed when the Model 3 was a sedan after I put down a reservation sight unseen. I was expecting a lift back like the Model S. Not sure whether I will pull the trigger on the sedan. Will be interested to see what the final version looks like since Elon tweeted the opening would be larger. Obviously there is only so much they can do with the opening, I also suspect the number was actually higher than 25% based on everyone's feedback who were in line with me at the store.

That's cool, the more people drop out of line, the faster I get my model 3

This is exactly why I waited for the reveal before ordering. I didn't really think it would be a weirdmobile, but what if it was? And now we know it's pretty stunning. The 3 will be replacing a sedan, and we have another real wagon, so it's a good match for us.
Robin

Reactions: jkk_
This is exactly why I waited for the reveal before ordering. I didn't really think it would be a weirdmobile, but what if it was? And now we know it's pretty stunning. The 3 will be replacing a sedan, and we have another real wagon, so it's a good match for us.
Robin
Not to argue... but if it was weird, you could just get a refund. It's not a payment - just a refundable deposit.

Why would someone wish for a car other than the one they just ordered? The M3 is a sedan, not a pickup or SUV or hatchback. When those cars are offered, wish for them, not for a change in what IS offered.
There are just not many Teslas around and all are very expensive. Of course people will have wishes. I too am one of the few who were expecting a trunk like the S. The sedan look and hatchback functionality is just awesome. For that matter, I am not just disappointed by the closed trunk of the M3, I am also disappointed by the HB look. Ironically it does look like a hatchback.. Hatchbacks are not particularly popular for their look especially in the US.

I personally am considering purchasing a model s for that particular reason (that and the fact that I dont want to wait for 2 years or more)

An observation - when the M3 was revealed, there was a lot of gnashing of teeth about the Tesla Smile, funky trunk and other style comments. That seems to have calmed down - not because the design has changed, but because the Newness has worn off. Now that the front/back are familiar, the reaction is more muted. I thought folks liked "new" things. The reaction to "new" in this case says there are more of those resistant to change than I anticipated. But that in only two months, that resistance diminishes. Perhaps the wierd-ness of M3 is not so weird aftererall

Reactions: WarpedOne
An observation - when the M3 was revealed, there was a lot of gnashing of teeth about the Tesla Smile, funky trunk and other style comments. That seems to have calmed down - not because the design has changed, but because the Newness has worn off. Now that the front/back are familiar, the reaction is more muted. I thought folks liked "new" things. The reaction to "new" in this case says there are more of those resistant to change than I anticipated. But that in only two months, that resistance diminishes. Perhaps the wierd-ness of M3 is not so weird aftererall

That is one explanation for this, the other is that the people have now told the forum about what they think, and there is no reason to repeat it any more until we can see the finale design and see if Tesla has listened to their customers. Or an combination of the two :)