Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard that they will bring back this hatchback design
model-3-stumpf-studio-750x437.jpg

This is fugly, I sure hope it doesn't turn into this

This is fugly, I sure hope it doesn't turn into this
Don't worry, that was never ever a design that came out of Tesla. It was just one of many design exercises proffered by various individuals who speculated on what the Model 3 may look like. This particular rendering proves that, just because someone knows how to use design tools, that they know how to design.

Reactions: metier
Making the opening a little larger is not going to be too easy either without modifying the exterior shape of the rear of the car.

Not necessarily. Incorporate the tail lights into the "upper"/hinged portion of the trunk. the only issue at that point with regards to exterior shape is ensuring this new panel gap doesn't change the drag coefficient.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
half of the tail light is already incorporated into the upper portion. They may tighten up the opening a few cm here, and adjust the split in the taillight a few cm there, but im not so sure they'd run the opening from edge to edge. with the shape of the car, it don't think it'll look appealing where the gap between panels would need to be.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/image-jpeg-jpg.170823/

Not necessarily. Incorporate the tail lights into the "upper"/hinged portion of the trunk. the only issue at that point with regards to exterior shape is ensuring this new panel gap doesn't change the drag coefficient.

Seems like Tesla is working on advancing the use of the current hardware vs adding more hardware.

''Working on using existing Tesla radar by itself (decoupled from camera) w temporal smoothing to create a coarse point cloud, like lidar"

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Good thing about radar is that, unlike lidar (which is visible wavelength), it can see through rain, snow, fog and dust"

Elon Musk on Twitter

Seems like Tesla is working on advancing the use of the current hardware vs adding more hardware.

''Working on using existing Tesla radar by itself (decoupled from camera) w temporal smoothing to create a coarse point cloud, like lidar"

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Good thing about radar is that, unlike lidar (which is visible wavelength), it can see through rain, snow, fog and dust"

Elon Musk on Twitter

Considering all the chatter about Mobileye, I think it's twofold. I think they're working on a software solution for APv1, and obviously APv2.0 is on its way later this year.

All in all, you have to commend Tesla for continuing to improve version 1, instead of just labeling it as "legacy" and walking away.

Considering all the chatter about Mobileye, I think it's twofold. I think they're working on a software solution for APv1, and obviously APv2.0 is on its way later this year.

All in all, you have to commend Tesla for continuing to improve version 1, instead of just labeling it as "legacy" and walking away.
That's why its good having Elon in the drivers seat. He does not walk away.