Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Informal Warranty Rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
I've realized Tesla has many informal warranty rules that they may share with you when you go in for service but are largely unknown to many owners until it impacts them. Thought I'd start a list of a few I've learned that will hopefully help new owners:
  • Rattles, squeaks, vibrations are only covered for first 12k miles or 1 year ownership
    • Tesla requires that the sound can be replicated (often during ride along pre-covid) before addressing
  • Paint issues/imperfections must be noted at delivery (or within 7 day period?)
  • Panel gaps/adjustments should be noted at delivery and/or in first 1k miles
  • Citing Service Bulletins often allows Tesla to comp service for issues they may not have otherwise (check NHSTA)
  • Tesla will send you an estimate for most "diagnostic fees" before service, you do not have to approve these beforehand and they will only be charged if the issue is clearly not covered under warranty
  • 12v battery failure is covered under warranty
  • Other "wear" or maintenance items are NOT covered such as:
    • wiper blades
    • tire rotations
    • Smelly AC/cabin filter clean and replacements
Let me know if there are any others that you've learned as some of these tend to change over time (for example, Tesla no longer cleans car after service visits due to people complaining about swirl marks, etc.)

These aren't rules- they're excuses lazy service centers might give until you ask for it in writing then suddenly they'll fix it.

FWIW I had a mobile tech fix a rattle just a month or two ago, long after I'd had the car 12 months for example.
I agree when it comes to rattles for sure - I've had many issues on that front myself ... but they will cite these rules every time and when you push it, they will often say "we comped it this time because, blah blah blah..."

These aren't rules- they're excuses lazy service centers might give until you ask for it in writing then suddenly they'll fix it.

FWIW I had a mobile tech fix a rattle just a month or two ago, long after I'd had the car 12 months for example.

same for me for Smelly AC/cabin filter clean and replacements, but I was told about 12k/1 yr "rule" Unfortunately the smell has returned in month 13. I might just submit a request to see what happens .

Why? Do they say you need to take personal responsibility and fix your own car instead of wanting a handout from Tesla?

this is regarding warranty issues that OP mentioned. If you're unaware of these please look at numerous threads.

With Tesla you don't negotiate prices, but you do negotiate warranty service fees based on SC whims

this is regarding warranty issues that OP mentioned. If you're unaware of these please look at numerous threads.

With Tesla you don't negotiate prices, but you do negotiate warranty service fees based on SC whims
Instead of disagreeing with me why not explain why you are on your own in AZ vs CA and NY?
I like how people disagree with a question. “Hey is it cold outside?” “I disagree” ?????

Here’s what tesla service told me about rattles last week:

“Please advise rattles, creaks, and general noises are not covered under warranty and there is an applicable $97.50 diagnosis fee for your visit. If the cause of the noise is due to a defective part that requires replacement, we will waive the diagnosis fee.”

They couldn’t replicate the rattle, so they didn’t fix it nor charge me

It all depends on the severity/cause.

I just had a squeak repaired at 2 years & 21k miles under warranty.

Time to replace upper-control arm ball joints
I think this is a little different. This a suspension issue and it will definitely be covered. It also seems to be a very common issue unfortunately.
I was informed that paint issues must be noted before 50 miles of driving. No mention was made of days after delivery.

Good and useful list!
Good to know! I actually bought slightly used so didn’t have the option. I’ve recently noticed a handful of paint issues but nothing can be done about it. Doesn’t really bother me personally but I know it matters to lots of people.

RUST! our model 3 rocker panels rusted all to hell the first winter in 2018. Tesla claimed it was "outside in" rust, due to... wait for it... road salt !!! total crap. No response from the dispute resolution process. Meanwhile, Canada pursues a class action suit. Our resolution was to trade it in on a Y. They paid us more than we owed... so kind of worked out.

RUST! our model 3 rocker panels rusted all to hell the first winter in 2018. Tesla claimed it was "outside in" rust, due to... wait for it... road salt !!! total crap. No response from the dispute resolution process. Meanwhile, Canada pursues a class action suit. Our resolution was to trade it in on a Y. They paid us more than we owed... so kind of worked out.
Interesting, I haven't seen much about rust issues besides the where the issue where some cars had a fender that was making contact with the A pillar on some cars and causing a bit of rust there. I believe those owners were able to have that repaired by Tesla under warranty.

Technically, the rust warranty is 12 years/ unlimited miles so I'm not sure what their argument must've been.

@PNWLeccy thanks for starting this thread. I'm sure there were will be some variation from SC to SC (or perhaps service advisor to service advisor) but it's good to see the sorts of things that are pushed back on.

The paint issues needing to be within a short timeframe (whether it's a few days or a few miles) after delivery makes a lot of sense, as even driving a short while you could acquire new chips and dings that aren't build issues.

strange you rewarded them by buying a Y instead. Curious how they paid more for a trade though... did you put down a huge downpayment?

I've realized Tesla has many informal warranty rules that they may share with you when you go in for service but are largely unknown to many owners until it impacts them. Thought I'd start a list of a few I've learned that will hopefully help new owners:
  • Rattles, squeaks, vibrations are only covered for first 12k miles or 1 year ownership
    • Tesla requires that the sound can be replicated (often during ride along pre-covid) before addressing
  • Paint issues/imperfections must be noted at delivery (or within 7 day period?)
  • Panel gaps/adjustments should be noted at delivery and/or in first 1k miles
  • Citing Service Bulletins often allows Tesla to comp service for issues they may not have otherwise (check NHSTA)
  • Tesla will send you an estimate for most "diagnostic fees" before service, you do not have to approve these beforehand and they will only be charged if the issue is clearly not covered under warranty
  • 12v battery failure is covered under warranty
  • Other "wear" or maintenance items are NOT covered such as:
    • wiper blades
    • tire rotations
    • Smelly AC/cabin filter clean and replacements
Let me know if there are any others that you've learned as some of these tend to change over time (for example, Tesla no longer cleans car after service visits due to people complaining about swirl marks, etc.)

My 17'MS has had only one mechanical issue requiring service. The glove box door facia fell off. Using the app, a mobile tech was dispatched and it was reattached free of charge. At that time I also thought my tire pressure indicators has gone berserk, showing low pressure in alternating tires on any given day. When I requested repair, by SMS, the SC recommended increasing tire pressures to 45 lbs and that fixed it. I thought that strange since I had been running 40 lbs since I bought the car and the SC had even replaced a tire ruined by road hazard ($350-ouch) and that was the pressure they used. No problems at that time, but 6 months later the low pressure light...go figure.