Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment center / apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd leave the halo lights on 'cuz they're so pretty! :smile: Does that count for DRL or do the actual HIDs need to be on, too?

Depends on local regulations. In Canada they have to be brighter than parking lights, but don't have to be full brightness. I believe the regulations require them to be within a certain brightness range (min and max).

Apparently the USA rules are similar to Canada, but they are allowed rather than mandated.

In the early days it was fairly common for the high beams to operate at lower voltage, by putting the bulbs in series. Some cars actually use the turn signals, except of course when you are signalling turns (I think that has largely fell out of favor). Some cars have a separate bulb for the purpose.

It looks like my Infiniti G37 turns on the low beam HIDs.

The Roadster uses the low beam headlights. Basically you can't turn them off without powering down the car.

I suspect the halo lights would qualify. Hopefully!

I didn't see this mentioned -- in my discussion with someone in the lounge, he said that Google Maps will be standard, but Tesla is creating their own app for Nav that will be on the dash and very easy to see and use. It will be an upgrade, but standard for Sigs. Also he said that they're creating an app in house to allow you to heat/cool the car from anywhere prior to getting in so it's temp controlled. Kind of like the VW Star Wars ad. Generally, he said that they're working on lots of customized in house apps for the car, and have plenty of time before production begins to come up with a bunch more.

... Also he said that they're creating an app in house to allow you to heat/cool the car from anywhere prior to getting in so it's temp controlled...

One of the guys I was talking to at the exploded cars whipped out his Iphone saying he could check on one of the cars doing drives. He did not bring the app up citing some excuse and I did not push it thinking it was on the no-show list. Later I heard (here?) that some saw it at the end of their tour.

Anyone get shots of it?

Last edited:
This seems like the right thread to ask this, as I remembered it on my way home and yelled at myself for not remembering to ask it at the event:

Did anyone find out if the car will have a Homelink/garage door opening system integrated into it? It might seem like a no-brainer, but I haven't seen or heard any mention of it...

One of the guys I was talking to at the exploded cars whipped out his Iphone saying he could check on one of the cars doing drives. He did not bring the app up citing some excuse and I did not push it thinking it was on the no-show list. Later I heard (here?) that some saw it at the end of their tour.

Anyone get shots of it?

I saw a short demo of it. I'm pretty sure Petefish saw a longer demo than I did. I was not allowed to take photos.
For a test app, it looked neat and was pretty functional. Very cool stuff in there -- including charge monitoring and notification, where the car is, temperatures, cabin control, etc.

I saw a short demo of it. I'm pretty sure Petefish saw a longer demo than I did. I was not allowed to take photos.
For a test app, it looked neat and was pretty functional. Very cool stuff in there -- including charge monitoring and notification, where the car is, temperatures, cabin control, etc.

i also saw a demo of that after my ride. The guy i was talking to had it on his iphone as well. He showed us one of the test drive cars as it was driving, and he could see the internal temperature, etc... with a way to set the temp, etc... we also saw a mockup of another capability that they were working on, but hadn't implemented yet. It was a view of what parts of the car were using how much power. ie, you're losing x amount from the HVAC, and so much from the motor, etc.. That was very interesting as well. That UI developer was just a mine of information. That mockup was a pic he pulled out of his email that they were working on internally.

This seems like the right thread to ask this, as I remembered it on my way home and yelled at myself for not remembering to ask it at the event:

Did anyone find out if the car will have a Homelink/garage door opening system integrated into it? It might seem like a no-brainer, but I haven't seen or heard any mention of it...

I didn't, but even if it isn't on the visor or mirror, that huge 17" screen could house a plethora of buttons, so we may end up with an extremely customizable and digital version

I didn't see this mentioned -- in my discussion with someone in the lounge, he said that Google Maps will be standard, but Tesla is creating their own app for Nav that will be on the dash and very easy to see and use. It will be an upgrade, but standard for Sigs. Also he said that they're creating an app in house to allow you to heat/cool the car from anywhere prior to getting in so it's temp controlled. Kind of like the VW Star Wars ad. Generally, he said that they're working on lots of customized in house apps for the car, and have plenty of time before production begins to come up with a bunch more.

I asked them about the concern that a Google Maps based nav might not work if you got out of 3G/4G wireless range.
He said for those that need nav outside of coverage areas they would likely need the add-on nav option which would be a car GPS nav instead of depending on Internet access.

By the way, someone said that they are using AT&T 3G for now, but the wireless device is modular so they can swap it out for something different later.

Anyone get shots of it?
I asked the person holding their phone if I could take pictures and if it was ok to post them and they said yes. Put them here
Model S iPhone/mobile phone app

I asked them about the concern that a Google Maps based nav might not work if you got out of 3G/4G wireless range.
He said for those that need nav outside of coverage areas they would likely need the add-on nav option which would be a car GPS nav instead of depending on Internet access.

By the way, someone said that they are using AT&T 3G for now, but the wireless device is modular so they can swap it out for something different later.

I spoke with one of the engineers in the VIP tent and he seemed to indicate that the navigation system would have map data also stored on internal memory as well.

I spoke with one of the engineers in the VIP tent and he seemed to indicate that the navigation system would have map data also stored on internal memory as well.

Yeah, I heard something similar from this 7-footer (!) employee in the tent but, he was unsure about their exact approach yet. Whether they'll have a true offline GPS nav system as a backup, or will go with some cached data approach... He said that the internal storage would be about 8GB on an SD card rather than an SSD as some folks on the web have been speculating but, 4GB of it will be taken up by the car's own internal software so, it's touch-and-go to use the rest of it for map data.