Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade and AP3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get the same clueless goon on the phone you might just get the wrong answer again.

The only right answer is it’s included. It’s right there in the part description:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE

Hundreds of people on this site have had the upgrade performed on their AP2/2.5 cars, including me. Every one of them got the HW3 computer.
You are correct sir.

Update:

Got the car back. The upgrade includes HW3 computer. I think there is confusion about the cameras and that might be what the agent was trying to say. But yeah, with AP2.0 cameras, I am able to see all the rendering of FSD dash, and the car information also states clearly it is a FSD computer and a FSD capable car after the infotainment upgrade.

Tesla really need better training for their staff.

You are correct sir.

Update:

Got the car back. The upgrade includes HW3 computer. I think there is confusion about the cameras and that might be what the agent was trying to say. But yeah, with AP2.0 cameras, I am able to see all the rendering of FSD dash, and the car information also states clearly it is a FSD computer and a FSD capable car after the infotainment upgrade.

Could you please post some pictures? Just to confirm, you had EAP purchased originally, not FSD ?

You are correct sir.

Update:

EAP, no FSD. What picture?
I mean visualisations you mentioned, can you take a picture to see how different are they? Also is there a way to confirm HW3 is being installed or not? They’re upgrading mcu tomorrow, so we’ll see soon.

Infotainment upgrader here...Went thru the same drama as the OP. My former car was MCU1, AP2.5. No FSD purchase or subscription active. Only Autopilot.

Paid the $2250 and definitively have AP3.0 with MCU2. Didn't have to pay anything more or do subscribe to FSD to get it. It's simply included with the upgrade. If you call and ask Tesla, your chance of getting the correct answer on this is pretty low. Most will say no you have to pay extra. Most of those people do not own Teslas and can't keep the version of AP and MCU straight in regard to feature upgrades. But you will get AP3 with Infotainment upgrade and you do NOT have to subscribe.

Again, my car was AP2.5. If you have AP1.x your mileage may vary. I have no idea what would happen in that situation.

But how do you check it? What is the part number for it in invoice? Is there. a way to check it on a car itself without disassembly ?
Oh I see; you’re a “trust but verify” sort of guy.

It’s included in the part number you already received with your estimate. Look for “hw3” in the part description.

Once it’s done look at “additional vehicle info” under controls and you’ll see “full self driving computer” listed.

Oh I see; you’re a “trust but verify” sort of guy.

It’s included in the part number you already received with your estimate. Look for “hw3” in the part description.

Once it’s done look at “additional vehicle info” under controls and you’ll see “full self driving computer” listed.
Yeah, unfortunately you can't really trust tesla SC, they're clueless most of the time. There is HW3 in my estimate, but i had another one for the same car it it didn't have HW3, it even had a different PN and different price for the same "Infotainment upgrade" i've requested. So you can see where my trust if going from :)
Thanks for that, I will have a look tomorrow.

At the risk of resurrecting this thread from the dead, I find myself in a similar position.

We just picked up a 2017 Model X with AP2.5 and an EAP license already included. We’re inquiring of Tesla on how we get to HW3. We’ve got a service appointment setup for tomorrow, and the list of items on the estimate include the MCU2 (infotainment) upgrade for $2,250, the Anti-Theft / Tilt Sensor upgrade for $350, and the FSD Computer upgrade for $1,000.

I’ve been back and forth with Tesla Service via the app messaging, and no one can give me a straight answer on whether or not the infotainment upgrade always gives me the FSD computer upgrade (making the direct purchase of that item redundant). I stopped at the dealer/service center yesterday to speak with someone face to face, and their shop foreman is supposed to get back with me this morning.

As for the anti-theft upgrade, I was under the impression this was required to enable cabin overheat protection, so that’s why it’s on my list. Beyond that, I’m not sure it has any bearing on bringing the Autopilot system up to HW3 (or it that upgrade would otherwise be included in anothe upgrade package like the MCU2).

This thread gave me a little more affirmation that all I need is the Infotainment Upgrade, but I’m curious if more have had the same experience with their path from HW2.5 to HW3.0.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve been back and forth with Tesla Service via the app messaging, and no one can give me a straight answer on whether or not the infotainment upgrade always gives me the FSD computer upgrade (making the direct purchase of that item redundant).
The answer is, always has been, and remains, “it does”. Purchasing it separately is redundant.
As for the anti-theft upgrade, I was under the impression this was required to enable cabin overheat protection, so that’s why it’s on my list.
My late 2016 has had no such anti-theft upgrade and cabin overheat protection is available and works fine.

The answer is, always has been, and remains, “it does”. Purchasing it separately is redundant.

Thank you for the confirmation. Now, I need to go back to my local shop and let them know the facts. 😉

My late 2016 has had no such anti-theft upgrade and cabin overheat protection is available and works fine.

I’m running v11 of the software, and Cabin Overheat shows on the list. However, the toggle button is grayed out and will not allow me to activate.

That’s why I thought I’d ask if that’s a part of the MCU2 package as well.

Here's my 2015 S with MCU 1

Climate section in the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719_213326_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_213326_Tesla.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 70
Okay… here’s what I figured out with Service last week.

Apparently, my car already had the Enhanced Anti-Theft Upgrade upgrade. This makes a lot of sense as the features this upgrade enables (Tilt / Intrusion) were showing as an option on my Safety settings, but the Cabin Overheat Protection (also displaying on bottom of the Safety settings page) was grayed out and not able to activate.

It turns out that enabling the Tilt/Intrusion feature disables the Cabin Overheat Protection. The only way to use this feature is to disable Tilt/Intrusion. I learned this from the Service Foreman at the shop. Notably, the documentation (linked above) mentions nothing about this. However, this requisite is documented in the Operating Climate Controls write up.

I have not upgraded the MCU yet (focusing on addressing other open issues with service), but that is forthcoming. I thought I would update this notable upgrade item.

• Informative
Reactions: djlott
Just closing the loop on my experience. We did upgrade to the MCU2 last week after a few weeks with the MCU1. Our cost was just over $2,400 with tax ($2,250 before tax). To confirm again (as others in this thread had already), this upgrade does include the latest FSD computer, so no need to request that as a separate service request.

In my week-plus of experience, I believe we're going to be far happier for far longer with the MCU2 upgrade than we would have with the MCU1. In my opinion, it puts our 2017 on par with the current models. While I spent more than the cost of a good MacBook Pro to buy what is, essentially, a couple of computers, Tesla did build a ruggedized system that's designed to operate more like an appliance. I can appreciate the difference, and I feel like it upgraded not just the components but the entire experience (driving, parking, traveling, etc.).

Putting aside the additional Infotainment features, the interface at the dash and on the touchscreen is far more capable with respect to the tracking of the road, traffic, signs and signals, etc. While the horizontal screens in the current models show a wider area on the traffic around the vehicle, the core data around the immediate area surrounding the vehicle (showing in my dash directly in front of my line of sight) is much more desirable. Obviously, this is the same on the Model X and the Model S, and a big reason why I chose to purchase the Model X over the Model Y (although there are aftermarket mods to give you a similar dash experience on the Y and 3).

As I do have Enhanced Autopilot, this system seems far more responsive as well. Not that you really noticed the delays in the ride experience if you didn't have the upgrade, but, comparatively, the current system is a little more on the ball. I'd have a hard time going back. Ultimately, that improved responsiveness means additional safety in addition to a better experience.

I think someone said it earlier: the upgrade improves the entire car. While it's not quite replacing the "brain" of the vehicle, it's pretty close. This upgrade path is another way Tesla differentiates itself in the marketplace. There's no way I could do anything close to this with a Toyota, Ford, or other traditional manufacturer, and I've yet to see another EV maker offer similar (although I'm really not looking).

After taking our first plunge into Tesla with our used Model X, I wouldn't have a problem taking the used path again if we get more car for the dollar. If you just factor in the MCU2 upgrade to your purchase decision, you won't go wrong.

- Dave

Reviving again because I am in a slightly similar, but not exactly similar situation with a 2017 MX 100D I just purchased from a private party.

Previous owner paid in full for FSD (back in 2019 it was $9000 he said) and immediately had hardware updated to 3.0 (cameras and FSD computer). When explaining the process, however, he went on rambling about how Tesla "promised" him (verbally) that if he did request FSD beta they would finish the rest of the hardware upgrade. He stated something about having an ECM replaced, but still didn't know the answer to whether he had the infotainment upgraded to MCU2. He again rambled something about them not having something in stock at the time he had it in for the FSD hardware and computer updates, but couldn't recall if it was the infotainment/MCU unit. I took this as hope that he meant the MCU2 infotainment upgrade, given he kept pointing at the screen in the car when he was fumbling around describing the FSD upgrades he bought.

The car clearly has MCU1, as is indicated with the NVIDIA call out on the Additional Information screen. But it also has HW3.0 and FSD computer, with the FSD service fully paid and ready to go, as confirmed by the invoices he provided from his service history dump. I even have the "Full Self Driving Beta" request available, have tapped and am in the queue.

So to my question: Does the fact that the previous owner purchased FSD and got the camera and FSD hardware required mean that Tesla should also install the MCU2 infotainment system for free, or will this be the $1750 + tax charge everyone talks about on these forums?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if there is an answer buried in the 100s of other posts on this topic!