Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inherited Tesla- need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, nice job. You are now an expert!

The steps you outlined look complete, but sequencing may change. For example, when I sold my first Tesla, #7 occurred up front because buyer needed me to sign over title at their bank. So I guess it depends on whether you find all cash buyer who can wire money. $52K is enough that some may involve credit union or bank for loan. They want title signed over to them directly.

The only other things missing relate to transfer with Tesla. The buyer might ask for service records, and of course will need advice on Tesla account (including mobile access) transfer after the fact.

This may not be what you want to hear right now, but I’d reconsider taking that Vroom offer. Tesla made a bunch of changes to their lineup and option packages today, with the end result being that most new cars are substantially cheaper than they were yesterday. That’s going to create some fairly immediate downward pressure on resale values for used cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitaman and IdaX
That’s a fair point @ucmndd. But a new, bare bones S is $80K, a whole different league from loan / cost perspective. I directly experienced a buyer that wanted my 2013 S over a new Model 3. I think $52K for a practically new S will be very attractive to the right buyer.

If you need the room for passengers (Model S is still more comfortable for rear passengers, we have both models) and/or cargo space and don't mind the larger footprint of the Model S, there really is no comparison to the Model S in my mind, especially at that price. The main thing I think people would weigh would be range. If a lot of long-distance driving needed, more frequent charges required and time involved. The free supercharging might off set some of that when trying to balance things.

In case anyone asks if this car is "uncorked", they mean upgraded to the higher power and torque settings which give faster 0-60 results and some high speed passing benefit. The car is likely eligible, and the service center would likely tell you, but you have to unlock the battery in order to have it done

Thanks, Krash. I got the email from Tesla this morning that I'm sure all of you did. It is making me give a second look to the Vroom offer; I will be talking with my sisters today to get their input.

@GordonsGirl, If you and your family aren't in a hurry to sell, quite honestly I think your dad's car is worth much more than the Vroom offer. KBB values for 2016 Model S for private sale with similar specs as the car have it in the range that you posted it for sale. And the info I saw said that it was typical to see the car with about 27,000 miles. In fact in northern Calif there's a white 2016 Model S with 26,606 miles newly listed for $53,530. It has the 75 battery btw. Report says there were multiple owners and title check reported problems. And guess who that's listed through? Vroom! Does that change your mind?

Used 2016 Tesla Model S for sale in San Francisco, CA 94107 | Kelley Blue Book

There's a 2016 S70 RWD, not refreshed, being sold in San Jose from a company with 14,541 miles. Red with black interior. Listed for $47,500. Used 2016 Tesla Model S 70 for sale in SAN JOSE, CA 95129 | Kelley Blue Book

Given the really low mileage, excellent condition, supercharging, no stickers, and ability to go to a 75, I think you guys will be selling yourself short. Vroom will relist it for more obviously and make the $s off of it, just like the dealership did in my dad's case when we sold his car to them. I'd say sit tight and give it a few weeks at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetstreamsky
I agree with @SMAlset. If you check out Tesla's own inventory cars, there are 4 available 2016, RWD, 75s, new front fascia, hard tops with AP. They are only black or white and average ~28 K miles. Price range is $51-55 K, excluding $2 K delivery. So if you consider the roughly $4 K cost to upgrade your multi-coat red to both 75 and AP1, I personally would not sell it for less than $49 K if you are willing to wait for the right buyer.

I agree with @SMAlset. If you check out Tesla's own inventory cars, there are 4 available 2016, RWD, 75s, new front fascia, hard tops with AP. They are only black or white and average ~28 K miles. Price range is $51-55 K, excluding $2 K delivery. So if you consider the roughly $4 K cost to upgrade your multi-coat red to both 75 and AP1, I personally would not sell it for less than $49 K if you are willing to wait for the right buyer.

I think you'd be waiting for a long time for a buyer in that range.

I've seen 75Ds with AP2 sell in that price range.

Just wanted to update you all and ask a couple more questions.

Still working on selling Dad's car; a buyer asked if there's a third row seats option with this car and I'm thinking no. Is that right?
Will be posting on onlyusedTesla.com and a number of other sites and wanted to change the price here to match the new price (reducing asking price to $47,000). I'm not seeing an edit button and I'm still awkward with the Forum software. Could someone please tell me how to change the title of my thread? Everything else will stay the same.

Thanks, and I hope you are all doing well. I haven't forgotten how generous everyone here has been with their advice.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I may not be able to post here much longer, but I wanted to let you all know I sold the car today, private party, for $45k. Not as much as I had hoped to get, but more than Carmax, that's for sure. The input and suggestions of everyone here were invaluable as I went from clueless to semi-knowledgeable on the features of my dad's car. I can't thank you enough.

Best wishes to all of you here- may your Teslas run smoothly and bring you joy for many years to come!