Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inherited Tesla- need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Dad was very active on this forum, I know, and he greatly valued the advice of this community. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking your advice on how to go about selling his 2016 Tesla Model S 60. He kept it immaculate; it only has 6,185 miles on it, and taking it to CarMax seems like a bad idea. When I called them, they said most of the Teslas they buy go to wholesale, which is ridiculous.

I did call the nearest Tesla location, but they weren't interested either. The car is near San Diego. I'd appreciate any good suggestions- thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your dad, a tough situation to be in and then have to deal with a car too. I would say the best way to do it depends on how much effort you want to put in. If you want to make the most money you want to list it privately, best to put up a post in the for sale section of the forum and put it up on craigslist and autotrader outside the forum.

If you want to make it easy you could take it to carmax as well as seeing what online dealers (carvana, shift, probably a few others) will offer you. I personally had a great experience with carvana selling my leaf just before I bought my tesla. They have an online offer system that was easy and supposedly they don’t change the offer (they would just not buy the car if it was misrepresented). For me, they offered a higher price than I expected to get from selling the car private party and when they came to inspect it they spent maybe 5 minutes looking at it before handing over the check, so it was super easy. Both carvana and shift operate in San Diego.

Hope that helps some.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
Can't keep it- I'm on the other side of the country, plus I have to share the sale price with my sisters. The Carvana option sounds hopeful; I will check with them. I didn't realize there's a place to list Teslas for sale here on the Forum... um, where exactly is that?

Thanks for your replies.

Very sorry to hear about your father.

I would second vroom, carvana as an alternative to carmax.

The FS portion of the forum is here.
Tesla for Sale

Though a private sale when you are on the other side of the country and clearly have many other things to deal with will be a PITA.

Very sorry to hear about your father.

I would second vroom, carvana as an alternative to carmax.

The FS portion of the forum is here.
Tesla for Sale

Though a private sale when you are on the other side of the country and clearly have many other things to deal with will be a PITA.
You are so right. One sister and some other family do live there, but I got left in charge. I really do appreciate everyone's help- will check out the sale area and also Vroom. Carvana said $39,000 and I was looking for closer to $56,000 given the mileage and condition.

Reactions: scottf200
My Dad was very active on this forum, I know, and he greatly valued the advice of this community. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking your advice on how to go about selling his 2016 Tesla Model S 60. He kept it immaculate; it only has 6,185 miles on it, and taking it to CarMax seems like a bad idea. When I called them, they said most of the Teslas they buy go to wholesale, which is ridiculous.

I did call the nearest Tesla location, but they weren't interested either. The car is near San Diego. I'd appreciate any good suggestions- thanks in advance.
Can you post more about the options, color etc and you might find a buyer on this forum. I know a few people that are looking for the right car and deal. Sorry for your loss.

You are so right. One sister and some other family do live there, but I got left in charge. I really do appreciate everyone's help- will check out the sale area and also Vroom. Carvana said $39,000 and I was looking for closer to $56,000 given the mileage and condition.

While I really do hope it sells for that for your sake, I highly doubt it'll go for that much at that year and battery size. You'd be happy to walk with 48k-50k depending on if its a facelift/ap2/unlockable 60->75kwh

You might have really good luck shipping it to yourself for a couple grand and selling it there.

Good luck!

I recently sold my first Tesla on cars.com. There is reasonably high demand, and you will get $5K premium over dealer sale. Also, I totally agree with comment about upgrade to 75 battery. It will be worth it. Finally, if your father happened to not get the white EV carpool stickers, then the car is still eligible in California for someone to get new purple valid for 3+ years. That’s a big deal here, and you could certainly market as such.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and Canuck
OK there's plenty I don't know about this car. Understatement. I never heard of unlocking the battery, but I think I understand what you're saying. Makes good business sense, no doubt, but the logistics are more than I can take on right now. Don't know if it has the front fascia but perhaps you can tell from this picture of the car in lonely splendor, where Dad kept it in the basement garage of the retirement community where he lived. He was the only one with an electric car and so got to enjoy the spot by the outlet.
Tesla front.jpg

It's red (obviously) and has never had a carpool sticker of any color; Dad was retired before he bought this car and never took it very far from his home.

I have the manufacturer's sticker and can add that in the For Sale section later today with a couple other pictures.

Sorry about your dad.

The manufacturers sticker will list options that people are asking about.

I sold an 85D in September
- prices fell since then with the roll out of model 3.

Carmax offered something stupid like $39k. I walked out with saying a word... listed it on eBay with lots of pictures. Lots of pictures is the “secret” on eBay. Sold for $52k. My car was pre-facelift (older style nose). I wouldn’t do an eBay auction, but post it there with a buy it now price and allow offers. Specify buyer responsible for local pickup or shipping at their expense and risk...

As others have said... sincere condolences!
Decode the VIN yourself via @HankLloydRight ‘s site and you’ll be armed with all the info you need to get the max price, especially after unlocking the battery to make it a 75.

ev-cpo.com/lookup

Edit: oops, took too long to reply; you posted the Monroney label already