Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane Mode- All the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I was lucky enough to take delivery of my model 3 performance yesterday and have loved every second of it. My question is should I leave it in insane mode all the time vs normal? I’d like to leave it in insane mode but don’t want to do any long term damage. I’ve searched the forum but can’t seem to find a concrete answer.

Any insight would be great, thanks!

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
There is a discussion on that topic in the waiting room threa. . Just search the following thread for "insane mode"

I've wondered the same and I don't think that there is enough data to know. The manual says that battery temp management is one thing that occurs when in INSANE mode. I wonder what the long-term difference is with leaving it in the INSANE mode vs switching out.

I have done controlled testing between Insane and Chill. Insane was 228 wh/mi for my 25 mile loop test and Chill was 230 wh/mi.

I was able to monitor temps in all modes while at the track last weekend. Insane mode does heat the battery. However, it doesn’t heat it that much and in some cases it isn’t really heating the battery at all.

I am never going to take it out of Insane Mode. I just don’t see a reason in my climate to take it out of Insane mode.

Maybe if you live in a really cold area then Insane mode will heat the battery enough to drop range significantly. However, I don’t live in that cold of a climate so I won’t take it out of insane mode.

IMG_7224.jpeg
IMG_7223.jpeg

I have done controlled testing between Insane and Chill. Insane was 228 wh/mi for my 25 mile loop test and Chill was 230 wh/mi.

I was able to monitor temps in all modes while at the track last weekend. Insane mode does heat the battery. However, it doesn’t heat it that much and in some cases it isn’t really heating the battery at all.

I am never going to take it out of Insane Mode. I just don’t see a reason in my climate to take it out of Insane mode.

Maybe if you live in a really cold area then Insane mode will heat the battery enough to drop range significantly. However, I don’t live in that cold of a climate so I won’t take it out of insane mode.

View attachment 1058037View attachment 1058038
Very helpful. Thank you.

View attachment 1058037View attachment 1058038
thanks for following up!!!

What's the full/formal statement?

"Acceleration Modes​

Touch Controls > Dynamics > Acceleration to adjust the amount of acceleration you experience when driving Model 3:
  • Chill: Limits acceleration for a smooth and gentle ride.
    Note
    When Chill is selected, Chill displays on the touchscreen above the driving speed.
  • Standard: Provides the normal level of acceleration.
  • Insane: (Performance vehicles)Provides the maximum level of acceleration immediately available.
    Note
    Using the increased torque and power available in Insane can reduce range and efficiency.
    Note
    Insane strives to keep the Battery within an optimal temperature range. In addition to heating the Battery, these settings also cool the Battery when necessary (for example, while driving at high speeds, during rapid acceleration, driving for long periods, etc.).
You can improve the efficiency of the cabin heating by reducing your selected acceleration mode. This allows the heat pump system to take more heat from the Battery to efficiently heat the cabin, instead of maintaining the Battery's ability to provide peak acceleration performance. This helps to maximize driving efficiency in colder weather. Note that when subsequently increasing the acceleration mode, the Battery requires time to warm up before the increased level of acceleration is available."

No mention of saying anything about not leaving it in insane mode I can find.