Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane Mode- All the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry but Insane mode won't overclock the compressor nor turn off the intrusive nannies for track use. Sounds like you've never used Track Mode. On a hot day, even Track Mode will overheat the car and you'll go into thermal limits even on a canyon road...but at least you get some fun before that happens. Insane / Sport has no chance on track. Insane is for sport fun on streets...not suitable for track.
Like Apprunner said. Insane mode is only meant for single 1/4 mile runs at a time. If I hot lapped in insane mode at the Dragstrip I would melt the car after a few consecutive passes. Track Mode could probably keep it going though.

I have to be careful when I'm passing on two-lane roads.

That I don't fly past 90mph. (When I have the accelerator pressed only an inch)
It's way too easy to pass 100 mph in very few seconds. I've done it too many times!

Throttle response? Again, I have to be really careful that I don't pass the FSD 85 mph limit.
Mapping? My brain can do that. But still, in only an inch of accelerator?

Temp manage ONLY kicks in when the battery gets too hot or cold. And it just doesn't need to do that on the road. And temp management costs battery range.

Next attempt?
Okay, so you aren’t able to control a fast car, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t. Personally if I’m driving triple digits, it’s because I fully intend to.

Reactions: Jangy
Okay, so you aren’t able to control a fast car, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t. Personally if I’m driving triple digits, it’s because I fully intend to.

Perfect answer, and AFAIK, that is illegal on every public road in the United States. It is NOT legal to pass someone above the posted limit. That's just the way it is and guess how I know that!

I've have experimented a bit more with the different driving modes. We all know chill is mostly unusable and that remains the case. Standard is ok but not nearly as responsive as insane for either local or highway driving no matter how much pedal depression. I think sport mode on my 2021 LR with AB was better than standard mode on this car. Insane is clearly preferable really for all driving, local or highway. The downside is that that it definitely is less efficient I'm presuming due to the battery temp management. And that is during summer so presumably worse in the winter. I really wish there was a sport mode that was not power restricted and mapped the same as insane but did not manage battery temps so efficiency would just be dependent on how you drive. For longer road trips you probably want to leave it in standard and only use insane as needed which is a bit annoying. For local driving/daily commutes no question insane all the time.

Last edited:
Perfect answer, and AFAIK, that is illegal on every public road in the United States. It is NOT legal to pass someone above the posted limit. That's just the way it is and guess how I know that!

Yet you've not actually demonstrated any argument why insane mode should be not used on the street? Nothing illegal about accelerating extremely quickly to posted speed limit. Any car can break the speed limit so passing above posted speed limit can be achieved in the weakest cars so no valid argument against using Insane vs. Standard vs. Chill. Can I get to the grocery store in Standard or Chill...yes I can and I can also get there in Insane without breaking any laws and can argue that Insane is MUCH MORE FUN. All Insane provides is optimal battery temp for optimal performance for my performance car.

Sorry but nothing you've said or argued is a credible argument against using Insane on the street.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
And your point is? Those speeds are illegal whether or not you gimp the throttle response and power output. I can control my car to stay within legal limits. If I exceed those limits it’s because I choose to, not because I find it difficult to maintain control.

If you have a hard time keeping it under 100 without resorting to a limiter, that’s on you, not the car.

I've have experimented a bit more with the different driving modes. We all know chill is mostly unusable and that remains the case. Standard is ok but not nearly as responsive as insane for either local or highway driving no matter how much pedal depression. I think sport mode on my 2021 LR with AB was better than standard mode on this car. Insane is clearly preferable really for all driving, local or highway. The downside is that that it definitely is less efficient I'm presuming due to the battery temp management. And that is during summer so presumably worse in the winter. I really wish there was a sport mode that was not power restricted and mapped the same as insane but did not manage battery temps so efficiency would just be dependent on how you drive. For longer road trips you probably want to leave it in standard and only use insane as needed which is a bit annoying. For local driving/daily commutes no question insane all the time.

So that tends to prove that you are indeed one of "those people!" Obnoxious drivers, right up there with coal rollers.

Why? LOTS of people drive with chill on, very happily. It is extremely usable.

You indeed are an insane driver. And that's not a compliment.

• Funny
Reactions: Mash
And your point is? Those speeds are illegal whether or not you gimp the throttle response and power output. I can control my car to stay within legal limits. If I exceed those limits it’s because I choose to, not because I find it difficult to maintain control.

If you have a hard time keeping it under 100 without resorting to a limiter, that’s on you, not the car.
Wow, yall are indeed, well.......

The simple fact that you can't read and understand what I wrote is amazing.
I absolutely can control my car. My point only being that a basic Tesla AWD has got enough acceleration that we are talking about significantly less than a second in all of the differences here.

Yet you've not actually demonstrated any argument why insane mode should be not used on the street? Nothing illegal about accelerating extremely quickly to posted speed limit. Any car can break the speed limit so passing above posted speed limit can be achieved in the weakest cars so no valid argument against using Insane vs. Standard vs. Chill. Can I get to the grocery store in Standard or Chill...yes I can and I can also get there in Insane without breaking any laws and can argue that Insane is MUCH MORE FUN. All Insane provides is optimal battery temp for optimal performance for my performance car.

Sorry but nothing you've said or argued is a credible argument against using Insane on the street.

Yes, accelerating extremely quickly to posted speed limit is called reckless driving.

No, you cannot break the speed limit when passing. I found it out the hard way.

It's much more fun to do donuts in the street while on the way to the grocery isn't it? That doesn't mean that it is legal or safe to do so.

Wow, yall are indeed, well.......

The simple fact that you can't read and understand what I wrote is amazing.
I absolutely can control my car. My point only being that a basic Tesla AWD has got enough acceleration that we are talking about significantly less than a second in all of the differences here.
To quote your previous words:
“I have to be careful when I'm passing on two-lane roads.

It's way too easy to pass 100 mph in very few seconds. I've done it too many times”

Sure sounds like you don’t know how to control your car.

Even on a Plaid, 60-100 is going to take longer than a second. In an LR it’s a relative eternity. If you can’t manage to keep your speed under control, you’re just a *sugar* driver.

Yes, accelerating extremely quickly to posted speed limit is called reckless driving.

No, you cannot break the speed limit when passing. I found it out the hard way.

It's much more fun to do donuts in the street while on the way to the grocery isn't it? That doesn't mean that it is legal or safe to do so.

Sorry but i've never been ticketed ever for accelerating quickly to posted speed limit. In fact, never heard of it or seen it so please show me the regulation regarding that one.

I never mentioned once breaking the speed limit passing and yes, you can do that in any car so again, no credible argument on why I can't be in Insane passing legally and quickly within the speed limit.

Also, you can't do donuts in Insane because the electronics won't let you ....same as Standard and Chill. You can do donuts with Track Mode but you are calling out Insane and again, no credible argument on why Insane isn't meant for street.

You really haven't provided an iota of evidence on Insane being meant for track use instead of street.

To quote your previous words:
“I have to be careful when I'm passing on two-lane roads.

It's way too easy to pass 100 mph in very few seconds. I've done it too many times”

Sure sounds like you don’t know how to control your car.

Even on a Plaid, 60-100 is going to take longer than a second. In an LR it’s a relative eternity. If you can’t manage to keep your speed under control, you’re just a *sugar* driver.
Oh, so on Insane mode you don't have to be careful? Is that what you are saying.

Because most English reader would assume that "being careful" IS controlling the vehicle.

Sorry but i've never been ticketed ever for accelerating quickly to posted speed limit. In fact, never heard of it or seen it so please show me the regulation regarding that one.

I never mentioned once breaking the speed limit passing and yes, you can do that in any car so again, no credible argument on why I can't be in Insane passing legally and quickly within the speed limit.

Also, you can't do donuts in Insane because the electronics won't let you ....same as Standard and Chill. You can do donuts with Track Mode but you are calling out Insane and again, no credible argument on why Insane isn't meant for street.

You really haven't provided an iota of evidence on Insane being meant for track use instead of street.

It's a pretty easy concept. It's called the Speed Limit. I've never seen a Speed Limit (Except when passing) sign or a law or anything.

The Super Speeder Law in Georgia became effective in 2010 and it defines a Super Speeder as any driver who is convicted of traveling 75 mph or more on a two-lane road or 85 mph or more on any road or state highway.

Do you see anything in that which suggest "except when passing"

And you freaking idiot. I didn't say that you could do donuts in Insane mode. All I said is that it is more fun to do donuts on the way to the store, in response to what I believe was your "Insane makes it fun to go to the store" statement. That still doesn't make it legal.

It's a pretty easy concept. It's called the Speed Limit. I've never seen a Speed Limit (Except when passing) sign or a law or anything.

Do you see anything in that which suggest "except when passing"

And you freaking idiot. I didn't say that you could do donuts in Insane mode. All I said is that it is more fun to do donuts on the way to the store, in response to what I believe was your "Insane makes it fun to go to the store" statement. That still doesn't make it legal.

Reading is not your strong suit. You literally said "Yes, accelerating extremely quickly to posted speed limit is called reckless driving."

I then asked you "Sorry but i've never been ticketed ever for accelerating quickly to posted speed limit. In fact, never heard of it or seen it so please show me the regulation regarding that one."

Then you responded by saying that its called the speed limit. I keep asking you what is illegal about accelerating to the speed limit yet you can't seem to comprehend what i'm asking.

Then you call me an idiot because you once again fail to distinguish why Insane mode is meant for track and all other modes are not yet Insane has the same parameters (and limitations) as Standard and Chill. You can't do donuts, you can break the speed limit, and you can accelerate as fast as you want to the speed limit without breaking the law in any of the modes including Insane. :rolleyes:

Reading is not your strong suit. You literally said "Yes, accelerating extremely quickly to posted speed limit is called reckless driving."

I then asked you "Sorry but i've never been ticketed ever for accelerating quickly to posted speed limit. In fact, never heard of it or seen it so please show me the regulation regarding that one."

I did show you the regulation. There is no regulation that allows it.

And yes, I have gotten a ticket for it.

Accelerating too quickly is a reckless driving charge. It may also be included in Street Racing laws.

Next time you and an office pull up next to each other at a light, try it out!

I did show you the regulation. There is no regulation that allows it.

And yes, I have gotten a ticket for it.

Accelerating too quickly is a reckless driving charge. It may also be included in Street Racing laws.

Next time you and an office pull up next to each other at a light, try it out!

Please. Your personal experience doesn't reflect "regulation" as its different in each region. California states that the only time you can be ticketed for acceleration (within speed limit) is if it was determined as an "exhibition of speed" and the burden of proof is on the officer to prove that the driver accelerated with the intent of impressing someone.

Again, your strawman argument that Insane mode is only for track is ridiculous and stupid. Standard mode is faster than 95% of cars out there and yet its not made for track? Insane mode is the same damn thing with more power and has the same nannies and restrictions.

You've proven absolutely nothing about Insane mode not suitable for streets.