Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla - 06.26.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be wise for me to set a speed limit for myself! I say this in praise of the car, not an excuse: it doesn't "feel" fast even at 80+, it is so quiet, stable, and smooth. And it gets there so quickly! Still it is both understandable and regrettable that George had to set limits on the upcoming drives, and I sure hope I (or my family) didn't contribute to the decision. I apologize to Tesla if we did.

If it was anything like the Edmunds reviewer (which otherwise was a really good review I thought), I can understand GeorgeB 100%. Did you see this: 2012 Tesla Model S First Drive and Video
Pay notice at around the 2:35 mark, remember that he is driving in a 40mph speed zone, and listen to him call out the speeds.

As for kids... yeah, I think it was a combination of TM not being prepared for people wanting to bring kids and parents being a little giddy after the test drive. I feel sorry for the <8 year-olds down the line, but like I stated earlier... "me not guilty". :)

I had slightly, uh, nervous passengers for my ride (see doug's video). The other Roadster owner in the car was nice and quiet, but as I was approaching the big sweeper at 80 mph the other two screamed. Ignoring the distraction, I braked as planned and smoothly entered the corner at about 65 mph.

I thought it was hilarious at the time, and at no time was it anywhere near unsafe - the car could have easily handled that corner at 100 mph. Sorry if that contributed in any way to the speed-limiting. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pfft, you were perfectly safe Doug.

I went around the first couple corners trying to make it slide... with minor success on the sharp right at the top of the hill and some slide on the highway on-ramp.

The thing that wasn't going through my brain is what would happen if I did manage to make it break loose; that would've been pretty bad.

With no private roads on the upcoming test drives, I think the 75mph limiter is perfectly fine. Oh, and I still would've managed to make it slide with a 75mph limit. ;-)

Pfft, you were perfectly safe Doug.

I went around the first couple corners trying to make it slide... with minor success on the sharp right at the top of the hill and some slide on the highway on-ramp.

The thing that wasn't going through my brain is what would happen if I did manage to make it break loose; that would've been pretty bad.

With no private roads on the upcoming test drives, I think the 75mph limiter is perfectly fine. Oh, and I still would've managed to make it slide with a 75mph limit. ;-)

I think I was doing the same thing.. on the onramp I was almost worried I was going to slide into the wooden merge sign on the left since I was rocketing passed a car around the first turn and picking up some speed through the second.

My co-pilot said the car could do more than I would be comfortable to give it - so I gave it a shot :wink:

he didn't flinch - the young kid w/ the white hat :biggrin:

One of the comments in Doug_G's video regarding not knowing the speed your going reminded me...

Has anybody tested out the cruise control? For example, I'd like to see someone set it to 75 and see how much acceleration it chooses to reach that from, say, 30.

It sounds to me from George B's message that the issue wasn't people like Doug who basically did what the Tesla rep said (get it up to 80+, then take the curve at around 65 mph), but people who essentially ignored what they were being told. I imagine there were a small percentage of drivers who gunned it to 100 or more and then took the turn at a much higher speed than 65 mph, and did who-knows-what else during the drive in contravention of the instructions from the Tesla rep in the vehicle, probably when they hit the highway.

No question, with idiots like that Tesla is better off being safe than sorry for future events, especially without a "private" road.

I am pretty sure the little accident that happened got lawyers involved, and insurance agents. And they tightened up the reigns. I have a feeling the 'speed limit' (maybe the 'no kids') rules are to keep Tesla's insurance rates in the non stratospheric range.

It would be nice if you (*and others!*) self-identified yourself in the video! :) Take a screen capture, or note a time marker! :)

Here I am in the video:
Francis_Tesla_Interview.png
It is always funny to see and hear myself talk in a video. Now I know what others have to deal with :smile:

So for those of you inclined to let other people test drive your Model S when you get it, take heed what happened at the Tesla event. You might think you know a person, but if you let them get behind the wheel anything can happen. If you are planning to let other people test drive your new car, I would put limits on them just as George B did.

So for those of you inclined to let other people test drive your Model S when you get it, take heed what happened at the Tesla event. You might think you know a person, but if you let them get behind the wheel anything can happen. If you are planning to let other people test drive your new car, I would put limits on them just as George B did.

Makes me wonder if we'll have the ability to impose those limits ourselves from the touch screen. Assuming the car has a "valet mode", it probably also needs "teenager mode" :).

Roadsters have "normal" and "sport" modes, right?

/Mitch.

Besides the issue of letting other people test drive my new Model S, I'm having serious apprehension how good this car is going to be for my pocket book. I haven't had a moving violation in over 7 years, but I can foresee myself getting some speeding tickets in the near future.