Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla - 06.26.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the issue of letting other people test drive my new Model S, I'm having serious apprehension how good this car is going to be for my pocket book. I haven't had a moving violation in over 7 years, but I can foresee myself getting some speeding tickets in the near future.

This worries me a little too - I tend to drive the limit (+/-), but even on the short test drive I glanced down at the speedo on I-880 and noticed I was going 75mph. It's so easy to touch the accelerator and take off that I almost(*) want a way to set an upper bound. It's so smooth it's easy to lose track of how fast you're going.

'course choosing red also makes me more attractive. (I haven't even had a parking ticket... ever). The CHP never pulls over dusty gray minivans no matter how fast they go... it's like I'm invisible!

/Mitch.
(*) Um, not really.

This worries me a little too - I tend to drive the limit (+/-), but even on the short test drive I glanced down at the speedo on I-880 and noticed I was going 75mph. It's so easy to touch the accelerator and take off that I almost(*) want a way to set an upper bound. It's so smooth it's easy to lose track of how fast you're going.

'course choosing red also makes me more attractive. (I haven't even had a parking ticket... ever). The CHP never pulls over dusty gray minivans no matter how fast they go... it's like I'm invisible!

/Mitch.
(*) Um, not really.

My BMW has a Speed Limit Warning. You set what you want and it notifies you if you go over that limit. I find it helpful for this very reason which I am sure will be exagerated in a car with no ICE noise :)

How slow can it be? They still want to deliver 5000 cars by year-end. If they're doing 80/day in November/December, that's around 41 days x 80 cars = 3280 cars in those two months (I'm not even including getting the car from the factory to the owner). That would mean they need to produce around 1800 cars in July/August/Sept/Oct, which averages to 450 cars/month, or around 22 cars/day.

I know others have done more detailed analyses on the possible ramp-up schedule, but even on this simple math the projections Tesla is offering don't make sense. Someone on another thread (Sig 900+) said their expected due date from Tesla was October. If that were actually true, I don't see any way Tesla gets anything close to 5000 cars done this year. If they're not going to get 5000 cars done this year, they'd better let everyone know sooner rather than later, because the stock will take a hit when that is announced. :eek:

I, of course, prefer to believe that they are under-promising by a month on the expected delivery date and that almost all Sigs will be delivered by the end of September, which comports to a schedule to get 5000 cars done by year-end. (fingers crossed)

I am upgrading from P5277 to Sig Performance off the "waitlist". I was told I'd receive the car around Aug/Sept

So for those of you inclined to let other people test drive your Model S when you get it, take heed what happened at the Tesla event. You might think you know a person, but if you let them get behind the wheel anything can happen. If you are planning to let other people test drive your new car, I would put limits on them just as George B did.
Well, I would expect that people would treat "your" car different from a "company demo" car. People assume there's no downside to abusing a "demo car" while there would be to a personally-owned one.

I have given probably 50 test drives of my Roadster (friends, coworkers, one guy from a Ford dealer I met at an Earth Day event) and have never had a problem. Well, the Ford guy kept "missing" the turn back into the parking lot so had to do another lap around the block but neither I nor the car were ever in danger :p

The aftermarket Pioneer nav system I had in my F150 had a feature that was supposed to be able to warn you if you went a certain percentage (user set) over the posted speed limit. I don't remember it working particularly well. If Google maps and/or the turn-by-turn nav maps have accurate speed limit info I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to set relative warnings and limits with an appropriate app or two.

Because of the new rule about no kids under 8 going for test drives, I'll probably leave my youngest home with my wife, so I'll need to hustle home right after my test drive. So annoying that people couldn't watch their kids in Fremont and now I can't take my young one on my test drive, which I know he would have loved. Plus, my wife doesn't get to ride in the car now either! :cursing:
You could bring the whole family to the event and leave your little one with the child care staff that Tesla is providing. That way your wife can join you on the drive, and your son can do fun things with other kids. Sounds like a much lower-stress day to me.

You could bring the whole family to the event and leave your little one with the child care staff that Tesla is providing. That way your wife can join you on the drive, and your son can do fun things with other kids. Sounds like a much lower-stress day to me.

I appreciate the thought, but there is no way that I'm bringing a five year old, who LOVES Tesla and can't wait for me to get my Model S, to the test drive event and leaving him behind with a bunch of strangers while Mommy, Daddy and older brother (10) and sister (8) go off in a brand new Model S for a test drive. Maybe other people's five year olds would be fine with this, but I'm fairly confident my youngest would be livid if I did that, and it would be hard to blame him under the circumstances. This isn't like an infant or toddler who doesn't know what's going on. A 5, 6 or 7 year old is very well aware of things and won't necessarily just willingly go for babysitting while the entire rest of his family gets to go do something fun. I can only compare this to when we go to an amusement park, and he's pissed when he can't go on a ride his older siblings are on, but at least Mom stays behind with him and does something fun with him in the meantime. This would just be cruel to bring him to the event.

Frankly, the real shame is that my wife won't be able to come for the test drive because it would really be worthwhile for her to be able to ride along in the car. I don't blame Tesla at all for this -- this is a direct result of what I consider to be irresponsible parents creating dangerous situations in Fremont that necessitated Tesla's actions, including setting the age limit.

I'm having the same issue. My six year-old might be more excited about this car than I am. To bring him and then leave him with the Tesla sitters would be cruel and likely result in a total meltdown at the event.

I'm hoping to leave the kids with my parents for the afternoon of the NY event.

I'm having the same issue. My six year-old might be more excited about this car than I am. To bring him and then leave him with the Tesla sitters would be cruel and likely result in a total meltdown at the event.

I'm hoping to leave the kids with my parents for the afternoon of the NY event.

yeah - same issue here. My 6 year old is DYING to see the car, as is my 9 year old. If she gets to ride, and he doesn't, that might even be worse. I'd hate to have my wife sit out, as i really want her to be fully on board with the purchase, but I don't think i'm comfortable leaving the little one with Tesla sitters, considering how excited he is by the Model S.

yeah - same issue here. My 6 year old is DYING to see the car, as is my 9 year old. If she gets to ride, and he doesn't, that might even be worse. I'd hate to have my wife sit out, as i really want her to be fully on board with the purchase, but I don't think i'm comfortable leaving the little one with Tesla sitters, considering how excited he is by the Model S.

There is some small comfort in knowing I'm not the only one with this dilemma. I'm not sure how Tesla came up with age 8 as the acceptable age for test drives. Babysitting for a toddler is a much different challenge than a 5/6/7 year old kid. They're not just going to sit there and color quietly for fifteen minutes. I also expect that other events (like Miami) will be much less hectic with three cars than with ten, and I know I'd never let any of my kids wander around in a place with moving cars, regardless of age.

My kids will hopefully get over it once we have the car in hand. The real shame is my wife, who is über-skeptical about spending so much on a car, EVs in general etc., and I'd love for her to be able to attend the event and the test drive, but I don't see how it will be possible now.

8+ must have been mostly motivated by no-more-boosters-required-after atleast in California.

I feel for you guys. I have a different situation on my hands; my son (a couple of months shy of 6) is *not* into the car at all and practically teases me for my addiction to all things Tesla! :(

I've got to get him out of his world of dinosaurs and sabertooth cats - can you believe that he'd rather go to the La Brea tar pits than Disneyland in LA?!! - and into cars and gadgets!

Okay, way OT now. Anyone thinks the post-June 22 freeze on orders will thaw this week?!

There is some small comfort in knowing I'm not the only one with this dilemma. I'm not sure how Tesla came up with age 8 as the acceptable age for test drives. Babysitting for a toddler is a much different challenge than a 5/6/7 year old kid. They're not just going to sit there and color quietly for fifteen minutes. I also expect that other events (like Miami) will be much less hectic with three cars than with ten, and I know I'd never let any of my kids wander around in a place with moving cars, regardless of age.

My kids will hopefully get over it once we have the car in hand. The real shame is my wife, who is über-skeptical about spending so much on a car, EVs in general etc., and I'd love for her to be able to attend the event and the test drive, but I don't see how it will be possible now.

Go, take your kids, leave your wife with your child. When you're done, stay with your child and see if your wife can ride with someone else?

Go, take your kids, leave your wife with your child. When you're done, stay with your child and see if your wife can ride with someone else?

AO, it's a nice idea, but no chance. Come back to me in five years and whatever your kid is obsessed with at the time, tell him he can get near it, but only you (and not he) can actually go see the thing that he's wanted to see for a year. It would be like torture to him. I promise you, in a few years you will understand!

[Mods -- sorry to have taken this OT. This all started with a kind invitation from Larry to attend a meet-up, and my explanation that a parent with young kids has no free time to attend such things! My bad]

Ugh, don't ruin it for me!

I don't mean to make it sound bad! That 3-6 year range when kids get waaaay obsessed with stuff is awesome, even if it's something that annoys you. Watching them become masters of something is incredible, especially when just a couple of years ago they were flesh blobs that ate, pooped and slept (sometimes all at once!). My five year old obsessed over the Beatles for a year, then the NBA, and now Tesla (all three mostly as a result of his older brother). He now knows the words to every Beatles song, the team and uniform # of every NBA player, and can configure a Model S into an infinite number of variations, and has seen every YouTube video approximately 1000 times, especially since the test drives started last weekend.