Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla - 06.26.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No surprises except limiting top speed to 75 mph. Probably smart since no other test drives will have part of the drive take place on a private race track.

And no kids under 8 can go for a test drive. A sad but predictable result of people either not listening to the Tesla person in the car with them, or not watching their kids around a very active loading/unloading area with 10 cars being shuttled in and out. I can't disagree with Tesla's decision on either of these, but it's really a shame that others' negligence forces Tesla to implement rules like this when they'd clearly rather not have to do so.

The new blog is up. TM is implementing a couple of changes for the test drives. No more driving over 75 MPH and no children under 8 years old. Thanks to you Fremonters for ruining it for us in L.A.! :wink:

I think GeorgeB's reasons are very well-expressed. I'm disappointed about the speed limit, but it won't affect the acceleration. And since the other events will not be on closed roads, it's good enough for me.

If that were actually true, I don't see any way Tesla gets anything close to 5000 cars done this year. If they're not going to get 5000 cars done this year, they'd better let everyone know sooner rather than later, because the stock will take a hit when that is announced.
Stock is down considerably while rest of market is even-to-up today. All the gains related to the event last week have been given back. Wonder if this is already being corrected for now. Or is it the the last couple of less-than-stellar pseudo-reviews? Or did Lyon let a cat out of the bag :eek:

Stock is down considerably while rest of market is even-to-up today. All the gains related to the event last week have been given back. Wonder if this is already being corrected for now. Or is it the the last couple of less-than-stellar pseudo-reviews? Or did Lyon let a cat out of the bag :eek:

Nope. It's because of Daimler and it's being discussed on the Investor thread.

As for the Inside Tesla article, it was very well done. Some people had a little too much fun and so some boundries needed to be set. Though to be fair to those in Fremont I watched a lot of those youtube test drives and the Tesla employees were clearly telling people to push the boundries. That said, we've heard and commented about the rear ending incident and that might have had a response from George as well. I enjoyed the big grins video. Anyone from the forum in the video? At least willing to say that it was them?

A moment too late...which were you Beaker?

Yes, a bit disappointing, but as I've seen firsthand: in general, people don't use common sense (then whine about the nanny state our gov't is in), so I think it's all fair. Sucks we can't get the cars up to speed on private roads in LA (Space X facility is huge), but it is what it is. That they were able to do this so quickly leaves me hope that the cars can be easily "tweaked" (including possibly removing the 130MPH governor?).

Excited that the X will be in Santa Monica this weekend. I may take a trip there to get some more time inside one since it's been a while ;)

My response was tongue in cheek. 75 MPH is fine for me and my kids are staying home!

have you driven it yet?
75 comes and goes so quickly as does 100mph
braking from 110 can't be tested at 75 either .....just trust me it works very well

me waiting.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLXsPRzx6hk&feature=related

me, in red w/ T hat waiting for the dolphin with my wife + 2 friends (only one seen, the other is taller - 6-2" the one you can see is 250? maybe)

and here in beginninghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwZUtZm-Iohttp:// with the color card

the second vid is better

Last edited:
Hmm... limiting top end speed... can you say "parental controls?"

I'm not too disappointed by the speed limit, in fact, I'm not even all that surprised by it. I'm sure that there were a few people who REALLY wanted to push it and, one could make the argument, that Tesla was encouraging that to a certain extent. The idea, however, that a few people simply disregarded the instructions of the copilot is pretty frightening. I was surprised on our test drive just how much our copilot wanted the driver to push it, if someone went beyond that, he or she was being quite reckless.

Hmm... limiting top end speed... can you say "parental controls?"

I'm not too disappointed by the speed limit, in fact, I'm not even all that surprised by it. I'm sure that there were a few people who REALLY wanted to push it and, one could make the argument, that Tesla was encouraging that to a certain extent. The idea, however, that a few people simply disregarded the instructions of the copilot is pretty frightening. I was surprised on our test drive just how much our copilot wanted the driver to push it, if someone went beyond that, he or she was being quite reckless.

I imagine the minor paint-trading incident was a key motivator, even though high speed was not the culprit. I also imagine some carefully-observant insurance underwriters had GeorgeB's ear. I think GeorgeB's reaction was well balanced and transparent.

yeah, no issues really with the restrictions. They make sense from Tesla's perspective for sure, and frankly, a single accident with a small child isn't worth any amount of little ones getting to test ride. (and i know my 5 year old will be really disappointed that he can't ride, but i can't complain).

I imagine the minor paint-trading incident was a key motivator, even though high speed was not the culprit. I also imagine some carefully-observant insurance underwriters had GeorgeB's ear. I think GeorgeB's reaction was well balanced and transparent.

Bingo. And with the number of Youtube videos out there showing Tesla employees saying it's okay to break the speed limit. If an accident actually happened? Very understandable move on Tesla's part.

And no kids under 8 can go for a test drive. A sad but predictable result of people either not listening to the Tesla person in the car with them, or not watching their kids around a very active loading/unloading area with 10 cars being shuttled in and out. I can't disagree with Tesla's decision on either of these, but it's really a shame that others' negligence forces Tesla to implement rules like this when they'd clearly rather not have to do so.

I plead "not guilty". My kid knows he has to hold at least one hand as soon as there are cars around. :)

While at the event, I did think TM could have avoided dangers by restricting kids to only ride in whatever car was in "pole position" closest to the line and enter from the left side, and always "land" that car in the same lane, that way avoiding ever having to cross cars' paths. But yes, George expressed the limitation really well and understandably, and at least now it is clearly expressed in advance and not left to speculation.

And yes, driving faster than passengers are comfortable with (this includes the TM co-pilot) is just rude. I think I saw one of the journalist video reviews punching it up to 100+ in the industrial area stretch by Solyndra. Come on... seriously? One rotten apple...

All being said, I am glad that some brought their kids to check out the car, and it's exciting to see how much fun they had. It's proof positive that kids will give this ride an enthusiastic thumbs up. My kids are pretty obedient but I know I will be distracted so I don't think it will be fair for my kids. My kids will enjoy the video over and over again. They won't be in it however...