TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Installation: Model X Enhanced Anti-Theft

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ski_, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

#1 Ski_, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Quick rundown on the Tesla Service installation of the Enhanced Anti-Theft "accessory" for my Model X.

Here is the new replacement dome-light assembly with holes for the new sensors which can be seen on the sides:
    9E80F0B5-9607-4584-BAE2-1378353B8C3F.jpeg

Sensor controller assembly with left and right sensor probes:
    2C255A94-DA0F-46B7-9E1A-EC573B6700EB.jpeg

Two window cling decals— one for each side on the front doors:
    A8AB8C1F-AF2E-4E95-A2D9-995B2718B51F.jpeg

Final dome-light installation in the headliner (you can choose the appropriate color to match your headliner at time of purchase)
    0DE379A2-2853-4440-B3EE-27D017DC27C1.jpeg

Window decals installation location:
    D05128AF-2510-4118-B59E-A84DCC4DF4B5.jpeg

Final software update with new options:
    2AB410DA-F8DD-4156-96E5-BC689FC5F052.jpeg

The strange thing is I seem unable to have the "Security Alarm" toggle enabled while also having the Cabin Overheat Protection toggle enabled... (note: Sentry Mode also has this issue and may not be toggled while Cabin Overheat Protection is enabled).
    CE13F90F-7372-40F6-82D5-123B2BDDE913.jpeg

Conclusion: It works. :) I tested it by lowering a windows, putting the key fob elsewhere, and reaching into the vehicle and the alarm activated correctly. Same day install. I don't see why a ranger would not be able to install this-- I used a Tesla Service location as I was having other work completed also.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. McManX

McManX Member

Do you have the option of not putting the decals/stickers on?

3. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

Yes. They are just static cling stickers— you can take them off and put them on again.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. mainecoon

mainecoon Member

How long from the time you ordered online to the time they called to schedule your appt?

5. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

5 days if you include the weekend. You select the install location of your choice at time of order. I got a text when the parts arrived and I scheduled an appointment via the app.

— Order online date: Thursday, March 14th (evening)
    — Parts arrived text message notice: Tuesday, March 19th (morning).

6. stevemc

stevemc Member

I order this when it first came out. The Burbank, CA SC never called to say it was in stock so after I saw that others received it, I inquired about it and was told that they did receive it. I asked to have a Ranger to install it I was told that I was the first and they wanted me to bring my X in for the install. It was installed overnight, seems they have a night shift and I assume it's working.

7. dyyuan

dyyuan New Member

I bought mine online on 3/8/19, got a message from the SC saying they will contact me when it's in, been almost two months and I've heard nothing. Emailed them back 3 times, no reply, called left voice messages and no one calls back...

• Funny x 1
  8. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

That's odd. My install was mid April, and ordered about the same time as you.
    The part should be in stock... at your SC. That's my opinion.
    Worth a visit if its not too far away.
    -TechVP

9. dyyuan

dyyuan New Member

someone finally called back and told me the parts are out of stock and none of the warehouse has it...sigh...
    and there is no way for me to cancel my order online either....now I hope for a short hold time calling customer support....

10. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Ranger did my install. They have to drop the headliner for the install and that means removing the pillar trim working from the bottom up. As an extra bonus I asked the tech if he could move the always-on 12V for my dash cam behind the A pillar (instead of under the door seal) when he reassembled and it turns out he'd already moved the power and rear camera feed cables into the existing cable channels.

It was 4 months from order to install, so that could have been improved, but the install was great and it functions as advertised.

11. Doutt

Doutt Member

They put mine on the far rear windows. You cannot even see them from the outside. Basically useless.

12. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

Given the tint on the rear windows— i’d agree that their placement choice is poorly chosen for your vehicle. They are also quite small. Personally, I’d ask them to give you another set of decals if you are unable to move them.

13. mbp11

mbp11 Member

I had the Dublin, California service center do my installation, they thought it might take several days. I did not have the option of mobile service, but they had it done by the next day. Sadly, did not come with decals. I am thinking of getting some aftermarket decals from eBay. I did get a solar powered flashing red dummy light from Amazon that I installed on my dashboard, so it charges during the day and then flashes red at night, so it looks like an alarm is finctioning in there.

14. Sgadhia

Sgadhia Member

@mbp11 is that a 58 impala convertible you have sitting?

15. mbp11

mbp11 Member

Yes, It was my Dad's car, he bought brand new and it has been in the family ever since. I had it restored and I take it out now and then. You have good eyes

16. mbp11

mbp11 Member

Not the best photo

17. mbp11

mbp11 Member

upload_2019-5-17_9-9-5.png

• Love x 2
  18. Sgadhia

Sgadhia Member

She's beautiful.... The 58 is my dream car.... 348 Tri power convertible.... Rio Red with a continental kit....

19. mbp11

mbp11 Member

Ahh, well, this is a sheep in wolf's clothing. 283 4 barrel, power windows and top, 2 speed automatic transmission, AM radio, Agean blue paint color, the rest is stock. Drives like the Queen Mary. It is fun letting my kids drive the car to see what a sports car was in the 1950s. Driving takes a lot more care and attention and speeding is 45 miles an hour!

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1