Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation of radar detector, laser jammers, and electromagnetic parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This evening I tool the first steps to complete the installation in my Model S of the Passport 8500ci radar detector, Blinder HP-905 Quad Compact Laser Jammer, and the Parking Dynamics electromagnetic parking sensors. All will be installed in or behind the nose cone. My goal tonight was to get everything set up in the nose cone and complete the wiring tomorrow and final set-up and testing on Sunday. All of this will be controlled from a custom built control box mounted in the cubby. Several previous posts describe this [URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15266-Spare-nose-cone-arrived-today"]cubby control box, mounting of the Parking Dynamics foil [/URL]sensor tape on the back of the nose cone and installation of the Blinder transponders in the nose cone. Pete8314 also has an extensive post on removing the nosecone and taking apart the cubby so I'll not go through all of that.

I mounted the radar receiver on the metal cross bar behind the nose cone, along with the EZPass transponder (tilted at about a 60 degree angle), two RJ-45 dual jacks to connect the Blinder transponders from the nose cone leads. The coaxial cable for the Parking Dynamics foil sensor in the nose cone (which can't be seen in the photos below) runs behind the cross bar. I used heavy duty self-stick Velcro to attach the radar receiver to the cross bar and trusty Goop (great stuff for sticking just about anything) to hold the EZPass transponder and RJ-45 jacks in place.

Here are some photos of the various hardware behind the nose cone.

DSC_3314.JPG

DSC_3323.JPG

Once all of this hardware was installed I popped in the spare nose cone I had prepared about a month ago with the carbon fiber vinyl wrap and the Blinder 905 transponders already installed. Here are a few shots of the nose cone on the car and some details of the Blinder transponders.

DSC_3327.JPG

DSC_3331.JPG

DSC_3335.JPG

DSC_3337.JPG

DSC_3339.JPG

Tomorrow my goal is to run the wiring and power it all up for testing. So by the end of the weekend I should to be able to report on how well the Parking Dynamics system works.

Last edited:
I know this post is old but was looking for customers who installed countermeasures on the Model S and I must say this was an excellent install on the jammer heads.

If you're referring to mine, thanks! I did a lot of research on the various countermeasures sites and determined that this was the optimal placement of the heads. Not stealth but I learned that stealth also hides the heads from the incoming laser. Not good.

artsci,

I have the same Blinder kit (just arrived). Where did you opt to install the control box? I have a previous Blinder model on another vehicle of mine, and there is no such controller for that model (it's about 8 years old now and still works perfect--Blinder makes a good product!)...but that model only has the interior siren. Since I have the parking sensors on my MS, I don't anticipate using the Blinder's and may just hide the control box under the dash and leave it on the same settings all the time. But, I'd be interested to hear (or see) of your placement. Thanks.

artsci,

I have the same Blinder kit (just arrived). Where did you opt to install the control box? I have a previous Blinder model on another vehicle of mine, and there is no such controller for that model (it's about 8 years old now and still works perfect--Blinder makes a good product!)...but that model only has the interior siren. Since I have the parking sensors on my MS, I don't anticipate using the Blinder's and may just hide the control box under the dash and leave it on the same settings all the time. But, I'd be interested to hear (or see) of your placement. Thanks.

The control box is in the control panel I made that fits under the cubby.

DSC_3174.JPG

DSC_3185.JPG

DSC_3186.JPG

DSC_3392.JPG

Last edited:
Artsci was wondering if this box for the cubby is the actual cubby you converted vs a drop in box you prefabricated. The only thing I really need access to is the on/off Switch for the Laser inteceptor, on/off for the curb alert and the Bel Sti-r display and controls. The usb upgrade cables for the LI and Bel can lie anywhere easily accessable. My install is happening next tue at the stereo shop who have done my installs on al my cars. I'm thinking of doing the Lukas 7900 Cameras myself using the mic power tap.

The control box is in the control panel I made that fits under the cubby.

View attachment 36343

View attachment 36344

View attachment 36345

View attachment 36346

A note of caution, I installed a Valentine 1 on the bar where OP mounted the junction boxes and discovered that water does get to that bar. I ended up moving my other V-1 inside the frunk and it works quite well there and is not exposed to rain or car wash water.

Artsci was wondering if this box for the cubby is the actual cubby you converted vs a drop in box you prefabricated. The only thing I really need access to is the on/off Switch for the Laser inteceptor, on/off for the curb alert and the Bel Sti-r display and controls. The usb upgrade cables for the LI and Bel can lie anywhere easily accessable. My install is happening next tue at the stereo shop who have done my installs on al my cars. I'm thinking of doing the Lukas 7900 Cameras myself using the mic power tap.

I bought an extra cubby and fabricated a front for the devices and modified it a bit so everything would fit.

Nice install! A bit of a thread necro. My only comment is it may have been better to keep the regular gloss black nose cone, seeing as the sensors are gloss black. That would have made it a bit more stealthy. The matte CF makes the gloss black sensors stand out more.