Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed a Screen Swivel Mount on the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a Tesla Touch Screen Swivel Mount on my Model Y today. I was bit concerned about taking the screen apart but the install was actually quite easy. The kit came with all the tools needed to do the install. The finished result looks like it could have came from the factory. Here's a video and some photos of the install.

Attachments

• DSC01756.jpg
    DSC01756.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 986
  • DSC01754.jpg
    DSC01754.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC01753.jpg
    DSC01753.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC01751.jpg
    DSC01751.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 528
  • DSC01750.jpg
    DSC01750.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC01749.jpg
    DSC01749.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 521
I installed a Tesla Touch Screen Swivel Mount on my Model Y today. I was bit concerned about taking the screen apart but the install was actually quite easy. The kit came with all the tools needed to do the install. The finished result looks like it could have came from the factory. Here's a video and some photos of the install.

Nice, but not liking the CF seam on the dash trim...

Not to detract from John's affiliate business, but I was able to buy this exact same kit for $100 shipped from Aliexpress. The herringbone active rear reflectors / tail lights were $75 shipped from there as well. Shop around....

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Love the look! Question…looks like the screen is now slightly lower than stock. Doesn’t this make it a bit harder to place your cell phone on the wireless charger? Oem the screen is literally right abuve and just allows the space to place a phone without having to hit the button or place awkwardly.

Maybe just the angles but someone had told me some months back that it does obscure some of the charging pad?

Love the look! Question…looks like the screen is now slightly lower than stock. Doesn’t this make it a bit harder to place your cell phone on the wireless charger? Oem the screen is literally right abuve and just allows the space to place a phone without having to hit the button or place awkwardly.

Maybe just the angles but someone had told me some months back that it does obscure some of the charging pad?
yeah it does a little, it cuts off the top quarter of my iphone 12 but in all honesty, i hardly ever use the charging pad. For longer trips, I just run a dash mount in front of the steering wheel with the lightning cable for Waze. Of all the mod's Ive done, this and the power frunk are probably the most functional. Its hard to describe why, but the screen just seems to easier to see/read when angled towards you and even though I have a matte screen protector, I used to get a lot of glare before adding the swivel. Now, its hardly noticeable. Love it.

I bet that cable or connector will go bad from constant Rotation bc it wasn’t designed to do so. Definitely will void warranty unless you scam the SC like OP suggested.
I'd wager far fewer people will subject this to "constant rotation" than simply swiveling left to better interact with the screen, and keep it there. Given the geometry, which is rotating left / right off a fixed axis, and the long, wrapped, plastic armored harness, would take your bet that thoughtfully installed, this should not pose a problem under normal usage for the warranty span of the vehicle. The harness is quite long, and there should be very little rub. Even still, now that you've pointed it out, I'll be adding another layer of spiral plastic cable armor around that pass-through from the dash interior to the swivel area.

Also you're projecting quite a bit with that last statement - go watch and hear what John said again and explain where you heard "scam the SC like OP suggested" anywhere in why he stated you should keep the parts. It's one of those "DUH" observations anyhow IMO, you should always keep the OEM parts. You may love your mods, but a lot of buyers are wary of someone that does anything to bring a car out of factory spec, and you'll generally have an easier time selling without them and can capture some of that money back, if you're so inclined.

I'd wager far fewer people will subject this to "constant rotation" than simply swiveling left to better interact with the screen, and keep it there. Given the geometry, which is rotating left / right off a fixed axis, and the long, wrapped, plastic armored harness, would take your bet that thoughtfully installed, this should not pose a problem under normal usage for the warranty span of the vehicle. The harness is quite long, and there should be very little rub. Even still, now that you've pointed it out, I'll be adding another layer of spiral plastic cable armor around that pass-through from the dash interior to the swivel area.

Also you're projecting quite a bit with that last statement - go watch and hear what John said again and explain where you heard "scam the SC like OP suggested" anywhere in why he stated you should keep the parts. It's one of those "DUH" observations anyhow IMO, you should always keep the OEM parts. You may love your mods, but a lot of buyers are wary of someone that does anything to bring a car out of factory spec, and you'll generally have an easier time selling without them and can capture some of that money back, if you're so inclined.
if your screen went bad bc of your modifications then putting oem bracket back to hide what could have been the cause of the problem is scamming SC. Too bad you don’t see it.