Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed my Gen3 HPWC lastnight, notice anything missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed my new HPWC lastnight, one of the new Wifi Gen3 ones, got everything wired up, everything mounted, went to put on the faceplate, and for the life of me I could not get the top screws started, pulled the faceplate off and I'll be damned if the press fit nuts aren't missing from the both of the holes in the top of the back plate. :(

Emailed Tesla online order support, I'm assuming they're going to need to ship me another full unit which means having the electrician come back out. Fun times!

20200329_124143.jpg

I don't know what they are supposed to look like, but it'll probably be cheaper if you just get the press in nuts and install them yourself...

Check www.mcmaster.com, my go-to for many somewhat unusual hardware items, and since you already have the screws, either check the thread/size yourself(it might be in the manual) or run down to home depot/lowes/ACE for a thread-check.

Even if they ship a new unit, you could steal the parts from the new unit and make the one on the wall work. Then send back the new unit.

I did hear back from Tesla a few times, first guy sent a picture showing where the screws were (derp), then I responded with another picture, then another tech sent me a Fedex shipping label and said he's cross shipping a new unit out.

That was my plan brkaus, I already had the unit mounted, drilled out, gland installed, etc so would be way easier if I could manage that. I wonder how hard it'll be to pull those press fit nuts out without breaking anything.

Even if they ship a new unit, you could steal the parts from the new unit and make the one on the wall work. Then send back the new unit.

Ya, I thought of that too. Looks like those nuts wouldn't be THAT hard to remove.

I'd probably get an appropriate length screw to match them, and use a socket(preferably 12 point) and a washer to supply a lifted surface. The socket should match as close as possible(but larger) the metal of the insert. Then stick the washer on top of the socket and screw the screw in until the insert pops out. The screw length would need to be the height of your socket plus washer, plus at least a couple threads of the insert.

In theory you could just screw a screw into the insert and have the back of the hole push the insert out, but you are VERY likely to just make a hole behind the insert.

Update!: Ended up going back and forth with some emails over a day, first they thought I was missing the screws, sent me a picture of the bag, I sent back a picture of screws + the missing nuts, Manager replied with a tracking number for a new HPWC and a return label to send back the old one. Was pretty painless once he got involved, new unit is up and cranking out 12kw at 48a! :)

Update!: Ended up going back and forth with some emails over a day, first they thought I was missing the screws, sent me a picture of the bag, I sent back a picture of screws + the missing nuts, Manager replied with a tracking number for a new HPWC and a return label to send back the old one. Was pretty painless once he got involved, new unit is up and cranking out 12kw at 48a! :)
So you had to swap the whole unit? I would do it myself as it should be pretty easy to swap once all the wiring is in place, but I totally think if you were not comfortable doing that, that Tesla should cover the cost of having the new unit installed in place of the old one.