Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Dual Charger my self?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do plan to obtain a second slave charger? Doubt Tesla will just ship all the necessary equipment to you. If they agree to that, then they'd probably have no problem configuring your car remotely.

Great. So basically most of the service docs are useless unless you have access to Tesla proprietary software.

Yep. I kind of wish I lived in MA so I could make a fuss about it.

IMG_4044.JPG

Found my spare charger Unfortunately need to have the tech to check if it works
i had it installed at my office but took it off 3 years ago

- - - Updated - - -

Is it out of the question to pay a Tesla ranger handsomely to fly out to Dubai and help a brotha out?

i could do that if they choose to come
ticket with 5 star hotel eavin

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you have regular 3-phase EU service at 32A per phase you'd be able to charge at 6-7kW, which would be somewhere around 20 MPH/32 KPH. If you actually have the HPC maxed with 70A single phase input (not sure I've heard of that in EU without a transformer) then you could charge up to ~28MPH with single chargers and ~50 MPH with dual chargers.

single PHASE 70A charger THAT I HAVE i will check all electric tomorrow if the work fine
i wish i still have the instruction for it as reference

you are right
well my driving is about 60 miles a day i guess i dont need a duel charger

If you don't go back and forth between Dubai and the other Emirates at high speeds and things like that you'll likely never need it. In time there will be a Tesla Service Center either in UAE (most likely) or Saudi Arabia. Then you can add the second charger.

There is one Chademo in Masdar City, Abu Dhabi.

If you don't go back and forth between Dubai and the other Emirates at high speeds and things like that you'll likely never need it.

Have you driven between the Emirates? There is no such thing as low speeds... :). Dubai to Abu Dhabi one way at 100mph can drain the battery almost completely.

Fares, did you get a bell installed to make a "beep beep beep" noise at 120km/h? Is this still a requirement for registering a car in the UAE? (It was when I lived there).

single PHASE 70A charger THAT I HAVE i will check all electric tomorrow if the work fine
i wish i still have the instruction for it as reference

Fares, here's the manual for your Roadster HPC.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3580547/home_connector_installation.pdf?dl
There are people that have removed the TSL01 connector and replaced it with a J1772 plug. That would be able to provide 70A to your Model S. You'll get 40A until you can install/activate the second charger.

Chademo is clearly the path of least resistance to get faster charging at home.

It will also be faster than HPWC and Dual chargers.

In the USA it would obviously cost much less to do HPWC/Dual Chargers ... but in UAE and the costs you would pay to fly someone out from Tesla USA, it would probably be cheaper to do Chademo anyway.

Have you driven between the Emirates? There is no such thing as low speeds... :). Dubai to Abu Dhabi one way at 100mph can drain the battery almost completely.

Fares, did you get a bell installed to make a "beep beep beep" noise at 120km/h? Is this still a requirement for registering a car in the UAE? (It was when I lived there).

Max speed limit in the UAE is 120kmph, with 20kmph tolerance above that. So, maximum speed one can drive here is 140kmph (subject to traffic, of course, Abu Dhabi - Dubai is often packed). With cameras installed every 5-7km, you're looking at many tickets if driving above this limit. I think even at speed of 130-140kmph, there's no significant penalty on the battery. Now doing all that in +50°C is another thing.

On the beep beep beep sound, it's still a requirement, however the beeping sound doesn't have to be consistent. But the blinking amber light on the dashboard is compulsory when driving above 120kmph:smile:

Last edited:
Hope the ranger isn't Caucasian for that part of the world.....
Dubai is an extremely safe place for Caucasian foreigners as long as you take the time to learn the local laws & customs and abide by them. Most people get into trouble there because they do not do this. And it's not like it's a problem unique to the UAE.

In some areas of the world it's acceptable to go fully nude at beaches. And while some US beaches may be designated as nudist, a foreign tourist shouldn't make the assumption that they can go all Adam & Eve in the bible belt.