Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing HVAC Knobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like it should be really easy to install new knobs for the fan speed and air path (i.e. HVAC controls) on the center console but my initial attempts have not been successful. I have pushed pretty hard and wiggled the knob back and forth with no success. My next steps would be to either push harder or tap it with a mallet, which I don’t want to attempt unless absolutely necessary. Is there a trick to installing these knobs?

Is the knob you are installing an original equipment knob or some other kind of knob. If the latter, perhaps it fits a shaft with a different shape.

I never had a problem getting the knobs on or off, but I did break one because the plastic cylinder that accepts the shaft is too weak. I repaired the broken one and assured no future breaks by filling the space between that cylinder and the outer shell with epoxy.

Is the knob you are installing an original equipment knob or some other kind of knob. If the latter, perhaps it fits a shaft with a different shape.

I never had a problem getting the knobs on or off, but I did break one because the plastic cylinder that accepts the shaft is too weak. I repaired the broken one and assured no future breaks by filling the space between that cylinder and the outer shell with epoxy.
The spares were provided when I bought the car. I think they were sourced from a Lotus supplier. They appear to be correct but could be just a bit too small. I also have the broken ones that were original equipment.

I replaced mine with these aluminum knobs I got at Radio Shack. I had to drive to multiple stores to acquire 4. I always thought they looked better than the originals, even if they were just a touch too large.
IMG_2193.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses and Zak