Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instructional chrome handle covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

flar

Apr 20, 2013
I've seen others do "chrome deletion" wraps on their chrome handles, and sometimes less cosmetic decals just intended to mitigate fingerprints.

But, I have a different problem and a related solution may provide some answers...

Most of the following is based on my experience during a single 24-hour test drive I took this past December in which I provided driving services for a group lunch at work and "rides home" from a rehearsal that I attended - both involving a half dozen or so people who've never seen a Tesla or a Model X before. These activities are something that I do fairly often, being "the car guy" amongst most of my coworkers and friends and also being involved in activities in a major city where most of the other participants don't even own cars while I drive in from outside the city for every activity.

Since it takes some familiarity to get used to the door handles (not a lot, but a bit of poking at it when you haven't used it before is standard, perhaps exacerbating the fingerprint issue) it would be nice if they were more self-explanatory and providing rides didn't have to start out with a 5 minute instructional seminar in how to be a passenger in the fancy new car.

Combining the two, it would be nice to see decal/wraps designed for the door handles with a subtle indication of where to press to operate the door. Either a circle over the active part of the handle or a small hand/finger graphic to indicate "press or click here".

Similarly, covering the arrows on the second row seat backs with an indication to click instead of hold - most people hold the buttons down the entire time which is unnecessary and possibly defeats the car's concept of "adjustment vs. entry/exit facilitation".

Lastly, I see people also holding down the FWD buttons instead of clicking and releasing. I'm not sure if that can cause a problem, but holding it down is one of the steps in resetting the doors so it would be nice if they didn't invoke some software reset when all they're trying to do is close the door.

I also don't like treating people like children so "just let me deal with the doors" is not an acceptable solution. Sure, I can open them remotely from the fob, but then I'm playing with the key as we approach the ride rather than participating in whatever discussion is going on. Also, closing them from the main display involves a lot of "are your feet in yet" mother henning that I find cumbersome.

How do others feel about "new passenger" usability issues and could some better graphics or overlays/decals/wraps be used to minimize the confusion?

Holding the button down closes the FWD. To force it open fully you have to pull on the switch, not hold it down.

Resetting the FWD involves opening it all the way by pulling and holding and then closing it all the way by pressing and holding.

So, holding the switch down has nothing to do with opening it fully and is one of the steps of resetting the calibration.