Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have a P85 on 2.24.102. I leave the car unlocked in the garage and plugged in. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks or so, that the Instrument Cluster (speedometer area, not the 17" screen) is always on. The car has been sitting for a couple of days and the IC is still on. I've rebooted both screens to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas or thoughts?

Hello. I have a P85 on 2.24.102. I leave the car unlocked in the garage and plugged in. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks or so, that the Instrument Cluster (speedometer area, not the 17" screen) is always on. The car has been sitting for a couple of days and the IC is still on. I've rebooted both screens to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas or thoughts?
This is also happening on my P85 when the car is unlocked, but the display turns off, when the car is locked.

When you say "always on", does that include the scenario where the car has been plugged in for an extended period, is not actively charging, and you approach it without the fob in your possession and see the IC on?

That seems wrong to me. Talk to your Service Center about it.

I have a driver profile called "Home" which sets "walk away door lock" to off. I do this so i don't need the key fob if i need to get something out of the car when it is in the garage. So what i am seeing is that with the car set to the "home" driver profile and plugged in and not charging for an extended period, the IC is always on. As i reported above, when i disconnect the charging cable and close the charge port, the IC turns off. Then when i open the port and insert the cable, it turns on again, and stays on.

I have a driver profile called "Home" which sets "walk away door lock" to off. I do this so i don't need the key fob if i need to get something out of the car when it is in the garage. So what i am seeing is that with the car set to the "home" driver profile and plugged in and not charging for an extended period, the IC is always on. As i reported above, when i disconnect the charging cable and close the charge port, the IC turns off. Then when i open the port and insert the cable, it turns on again, and stays on.
Okay. If, when the car is in your garage and unplugged, you select something other than the "Home" profile and then you plug in the car, does the IC stay on? Wondering if this glitch is tied to the "Home" profile in some way.

Okay. If, when the car is in your garage and unplugged, you select something other than the "Home" profile and then you plug in the car, does the IC stay on? Wondering if this glitch is tied to the "Home" profile in some way.

Here's what I've discovered. When the car is in "Home" mode (ie, the doors are not locked while in the garage) and plugged in, but not charging, the IC stays on. As soon as i unplug, the IC turns off. When i replug, the IC turns on. When i change the driver profile to "EXIT," which allows the doors to lock upon exit, the IC turns off whether the cable is plugged in or not. Seems to me that it should not operate that way, but that is what I've found.

Let me modify my findings. The key thing seems to be the status of the charge port door when the car is unlocked. When i have the car in "HOME" mode so that the doors are unlocked, and i open the charge port door, the IC turns on and stays on, even after i plug in the charger. When i unplug, the IC stays on. It is only when i close the charge port door that the IC turns off. When i reopen the charge port door, the IC turns back on and stays on. Is this what others are finding as well?