TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Instrument Cluster Always On

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jacobp, Jul 22, 2016.

1. jacobp

jacobp Member

Hello. I have a P85 on 2.24.102. I leave the car unlocked in the garage and plugged in. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks or so, that the Instrument Cluster (speedometer area, not the 17" screen) is always on. The car has been sitting for a couple of days and the IC is still on. I've rebooted both screens to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas or thoughts?

2. Stiction

Stiction Member

weird behavior -> reboot

3. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Um did you read the OP?

4. jacobp

jacobp Member

To make things even stranger, I've now discovered that when the charge port is closed, the IC turns off and then when i open the charge port, the IC comes back on. Very odd indeed. Any thoughts as to what this might be?

5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

This is also happening on my P85 when the car is unlocked, but the display turns off, when the car is locked.

6. simonog

simonog Member

Intended behaviour. Allows you to see the charging summary as you plug in.

Assumption is that you use walk away locking; car then goes dark.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

When you say "always on", does that include the scenario where the car has been plugged in for an extended period, is not actively charging, and you approach it without the fob in your possession and see the IC on?

That seems wrong to me. Talk to your Service Center about it.

8. jacobp

jacobp Member

I have a driver profile called "Home" which sets "walk away door lock" to off. I do this so i don't need the key fob if i need to get something out of the car when it is in the garage. So what i am seeing is that with the car set to the "home" driver profile and plugged in and not charging for an extended period, the IC is always on. As i reported above, when i disconnect the charging cable and close the charge port, the IC turns off. Then when i open the port and insert the cable, it turns on again, and stays on.

9. Stiction

Stiction Member

Ugh. Sorry. Brain fade..no excuse.

• Like x 1
  10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Where is your second key fob? In the car.?

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay. If, when the car is in your garage and unplugged, you select something other than the "Home" profile and then you plug in the car, does the IC stay on? Wondering if this glitch is tied to the "Home" profile in some way.

12. jacobp

jacobp Member

No, the second key fob is right where the first key is located: inside the house.

13. jacobp

jacobp Member

Here's what I've discovered. When the car is in "Home" mode (ie, the doors are not locked while in the garage) and plugged in, but not charging, the IC stays on. As soon as i unplug, the IC turns off. When i replug, the IC turns on. When i change the driver profile to "EXIT," which allows the doors to lock upon exit, the IC turns off whether the cable is plugged in or not. Seems to me that it should not operate that way, but that is what I've found.

14. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

I noticed that today. I always unlock my car via my phone and it stays unlocked while in my garage. With the old FW, after a while, the main screen goes off, now with .19 it does not.

15. jacobp

jacobp Member

Let me modify my findings. The key thing seems to be the status of the charge port door when the car is unlocked. When i have the car in "HOME" mode so that the doors are unlocked, and i open the charge port door, the IC turns on and stays on, even after i plug in the charger. When i unplug, the IC stays on. It is only when i close the charge port door that the IC turns off. When i reopen the charge port door, the IC turns back on and stays on. Is this what others are finding as well?

16. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

Yesterday I tested this again and on .19 it does turn off after an extended time.