Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Claim: Rear Ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Last month, I was rear ended in los angeles and filed a claim through the other party's insurance. I went to a Tesla approved body shop and sent the estimate they gave me to the assigned claims adjuster. After three weeks, the estimate got approved however the amount they gave me is 750$ less than the estimate given by the body shop.

Here's the breakdown:
Body shop estimate: ~$1500
Other party's insurance payment: ~$750

The claims adjuster told me that if supplemental payment was required, the body shop would have to contact their appraiser.

I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences or if I should keep contact the insurance company for full payment before I send my car in.

Hey guys,

Last month, I was rear ended in los angeles and filed a claim through the other party's insurance. I went to a Tesla approved body shop and sent the estimate they gave me to the assigned claims adjuster. After three weeks, the estimate got approved however the amount they gave me is 750$ less than the estimate given by the body shop.

Here's the breakdown:
Body shop estimate: ~$1500
Other party's insurance payment: ~$750

The claims adjuster told me that if supplemental payment was required, the body shop would have to contact their appraiser.

I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences or if I should keep contact the insurance company for full payment before I send my car in.
I would have the body shop contact the appraiser or my own insurance company contact the appraiser before work starts.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
@msnow Yeah that's what I was thinking. I contact the body shop and they told me they can only contact the other party's insurance after the work has started. But this does not guarantee that I will be reimbursed, which is why I'm worried.

Should I reach out to another tesla approved body shop?

@msnow Yeah that's what I was thinking. I contact the body shop and they told me they can only contact the other party's insurance after the work has started. But this does not guarantee that I will be reimbursed, which is why I'm worried.

Should I reach out to another tesla approved body shop?
Might be worth a try and I assume you have your reasons why you're not going through your own insurance company such as deductible and rate increases. I have a feeling there will be some negotiation between the body shop and claims adjuster which is probably why they are trying to lock you in.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Seems like the insurance company's estimate is either omitting things that was in the body shop's or they have low balled the price of parts or labor. You could ask the insurance company why its estimate is 1/2 of the body shop's estimate, or, if you have them both, you can compare them to see what the difference is.

If it is a matter of the ins. co. having not included X or Y part that the body shop thinks will need to be replaced I would be less worried than if the ins. adjuster just decided everything costs 1/2 of what it actually costs.

In all likelihood, since it's only a difference of $750 you will be able to work it out. The alternative is that you sue their insured for the difference in what you spent and what the ins. co. paid. The ins. co. will have to defend their insured, which will cost more than $750 just to have an attorney review the case. They don't want that.

I had to deal with vandalism insurance clam. Model S 85 was keyed, from front to back on driver side. The body shop said 3.8k and the insurance company paid me 2.5k then paid the rest with the supplemental payment directly to the body shop. You always have the option of consulting an attorney.

Eh, I've been in an accident like that. In short: The body shop is correct.

I was rear ended (not Tesla) years ago. I got a check for about 1/2 what the body shop said it would cost to fix it. They told me to bring them the check, they'll start work, and then send the insurance an update to the cost of the repairs, and insurance will just send the body shop the additional check for the parts/labor.

Part of it was that the insurance company wanted to just patch up the bumper, the body shop said they wont stand behind the work on a patch job, and ended up replacing it. The other part of it was the cost of labor, they low balled it, but I get to chose which body shop to take my car, and I took it to one that did a good job, and thus cost more per hour. Insurance paid everything in full.

When my Tesla was hit a few months ago, the insurance company issued a check for what the body shop estimated. Once they started working on the car, they needed a few more odds and ends, the body shop contacted the insurance company, and got them to issue another small check.

In short, take the $750 check, go to the body shop and let them deal with it. This is standard insurance MO.

They also try to get you to use their body shops (which with a Tesla obviously isn't possible), but you have the right to use any body shop you want.

Looks like the insurance company is trying to deduct its insured's deductible. Unless your body shop's estimate can be proven to be unreasonable, the insurance company owes you the full amount of the cost of repairs.

Is there another Tesla certified body shop from which you can obtain an estimate to prove the reasonableness of the cost of repair?

If the insurance company refuses to pay 100%, consult an attorney (initial consultation should be free). Many states have "Wrongful Failure to Pay" statutes where the insurance company has to pay attorneys fees and treble or punitive damages if it fails to pay your claim in good faith.

Oh I see. Thanks for the responses. I was just worried because the body shop said they cannot guarantee that the insurance company will pay them the extra, meaning I will have to pay out of my own pocket.

And then you'd consult a lawyer and get the insured's insurance company to pay. And if they won't pay you'll directly sue the person who hit you.

The insured's insurance company doesn't get to set the rules. They have merely made an offer.