Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Costs & Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think things depend on whether you have a good or bad driving record. Allstate quoted my wife and me over $5,000/yr to insure two Teslas. Tesla quoted us $1250/yr, so we happily took it. My understanding is that Allstate has Teslas categorized as "sport" or "performance" cars, and base off of the driver rating of the bad driver. Tesla insurance told me they look at Tesla's low rate of accidents/miles driven, and average in the good driver rating to bring the rates down.

That is cheap, what are you bundling it with to get it that cheap? How many cars in the household?
I have 4 cars, they are all about 400-500$/year. I have a 1 MM umbrella policy that gives me liability protection across all cars and my home insurance. I think that is about 800/year. I suppose you could put 100$ of that on each car and the rest on the home and property. I have the umbrella mostly as I have a large property and I am concerned to have a snowmobile or motorcycle get hurt and claim it against me...
The car insurance has nice coverage with 200$ comp and 750$ collision deductibles. Hope this helps you...

I have 4 cars, they are all about 400-500$/year. I have a 1 MM umbrella policy that gives me liability protection across all cars and my home insurance. I think that is about 800/year. I suppose you could put 100$ of that on each car and the rest on the home and property. I have the umbrella mostly as I have a large property and I am concerned to have a snowmobile or motorcycle get hurt and claim it against me...
The car insurance has nice coverage with 200$ comp and 750$ collision deductibles. Hope this helps you...

I think Umbrella coverage on your cars and home is one of the best things you can do for a relatively low cost. Unfortunately, most people don’t think about it or consider it until after a major accident.

Reactions: Ericna
I think my last post got deleted because it had a referral link, but I had great success with jerry.ai to shop for insurance. This is NOT an ad, it's really a kind hearted recommendation for those who, like me, dread shopping for insurance because of endless calls and emails and texts.

So yeah, search on google for jerry.ai - it will give you dozens of quotes with ZERO spam.

I think my last post got deleted because it had a referral link, but I had great success with jerry.ai to shop for insurance. This is NOT an ad, it's really a kind hearted recommendation for those who, like me, dread shopping for insurance because of endless calls and emails and texts.

So yeah, search on google for jerry.ai - it will give you dozens of quotes with ZERO spam.
Hard to compare apples to oranges. The good job gerry is doing - giving you some oversight from different carriers without clikcking tons of forms.
However, I was not impressed by their buying process, and just got directly to Progressive which give a quote 25% LOWER than gerry shows me. Geico still do not know about Model Y :/ so could not compare with them, but on previous cars Progressive beat the Geico (this time, year ago I checked them and Progressive was much more expensive than Geico)

I could not believe how awesome Progressive’s price was, compared to GEICO. I’ve been with GEICO for 15 years, paying $1100/6mo. I just switched to Progressive at a mind blowing $417/6mo. 2 cars 250/500k coverage. I feel like crying.

We also switched from Geico to Progressive after getting quotes to add the MY and it was the same order of magnitude in savings (40-45%)

I have been shopping around for Car Insurance for my MY all week. My current insurance Allstate quoted me $1k for 6 months. State Farm was $1,300 for 6 months. All the other ones were between $600 and $800 for 6 months. Progressive was the best I got quoted $346 for 6 months and with more coverage and rental coverage. I have a perfect driving record but I am not going to get my head knocked off when another company can offer more coverage for less money.

We currently have State Farm for 2 vehicles and our house but when I got my State Farm quote it was $655 for 6 months so I looked at Progressive since I was with them for 10 years in the past and my total with all the same coverage was $330 for 6 months. Then I looked at my current cars and progressive could beat those rates as well. I went back to my State Farm agent and total them of the big difference and they put together a second quote and was sent to me a day later and was higher than the first quote. So progressive on the incoming Tesla and will move our vehicles over to Progressive and look back into the other insurance companies after a few years again. Gotta shop around and get as many quotes as needed

Sounds like insurance companies are having a hard time pricing the Y for insurance, probably because it’s so new. My guess is it’ll stabilize once the companies get more data.

Actually, it’s not the car as much as it is the client. Insurance companies run a consumer report on the client and factors such as credit, previous insurance tenure, product lines, and claims (yes, even not at fault) have more impact on the rate than the actually vehicle.

I imagine where you live plays a big factor in premium? I live in Los Angeles with a perfectly clean record the last 10+ years and Geico increased from $460/6-months for a CX-5 to about $830 for MY, Progressive came in at about $700, somehow All-State was almost $1600/6mo, I ended up going with Tesla Insurance for about $630. These were all for $50k/$100k/$50k with $500 deductibles.

Last edited: