Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for delivery day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search here and wasn't able to find a specific answer, so I wanted to find out what others' experiences were.

I am picking up my Model 3 in a week. I called up my insurance company today and they said that the dealer will call up and confirm with the insurance company at which point they will add the car to my policy. I know that Tesla won't let me leave with the car without insurance and that Tesla isn't like other dealers, so I want to confirm that my insurance provider is correct (I'd hate to show up for delivery and find out I need something I don't have).

What are your experiences with Model 3 delivery in regards to insurance? Does what my insurance agent told me align with your experience?

My insurance lets me add a car with just a VIN and the date I want coverage to start. So for my 3, I just added the car to start on delivery day. If I had refused delivery, I would have had to unwind the insurance. No proof of insurance that included the 3 was required at delivery, only proof that I had auto insurance.

When I bought my S, I did not add the car before pickup, and that was not a problem. Depending on your state, most insurance policies have a grace period to add new cars during which coverage is bridged.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and mwu
Depends on your state laws - for example, FL requires you to have VIN specific insurance when taking delivery, you can't use your existing insurance. I'm not sure why the dealer and insurance company need to talk, if you have the VIN you should be able to add the vehicle to the policy effective the delivery date

Just got off the phone with my insurance company. They didn't even have Tesla in their system and asked me how to spell it. Later, Tesla showed up, but only for Models S and X. They could apparently type in the names of unknown models, so she added Model 3 and only asked what kind of car it was (sedan), the base price, and my VIN number. All set. It does make me a bit nervous that she only asked about base price and not "as configured", which I specifically asked about.