TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance for delivery day

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by mwu, May 14, 2018.

1. mwu

mwu Member

I did a search here and wasn't able to find a specific answer, so I wanted to find out what others' experiences were.

I am picking up my Model 3 in a week. I called up my insurance company today and they said that the dealer will call up and confirm with the insurance company at which point they will add the car to my policy. I know that Tesla won't let me leave with the car without insurance and that Tesla isn't like other dealers, so I want to confirm that my insurance provider is correct (I'd hate to show up for delivery and find out I need something I don't have).

What are your experiences with Model 3 delivery in regards to insurance? Does what my insurance agent told me align with your experience?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My insurance lets me add a car with just a VIN and the date I want coverage to start. So for my 3, I just added the car to start on delivery day. If I had refused delivery, I would have had to unwind the insurance. No proof of insurance that included the 3 was required at delivery, only proof that I had auto insurance.

When I bought my S, I did not add the car before pickup, and that was not a problem. Depending on your state, most insurance policies have a grace period to add new cars during which coverage is bridged.

• Informative x 2
  3. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

you just need the VIN to add to the insurance.

4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

If you currently have auto insurance, your existing company usually covers any new purchases for 10 days or so.

Check your policy.

5. vijay0129

vijay0129 New Member

Depends on your state laws - for example, FL requires you to have VIN specific insurance when taking delivery, you can't use your existing insurance. I'm not sure why the dealer and insurance company need to talk, if you have the VIN you should be able to add the vehicle to the policy effective the delivery date

6. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Usaa asked for vin number, got it, printed out insurance cards the say before pickup.
    Most police require a hard paper copy with registration if you are stopped.

7. WhiteMountains

Just got off the phone with my insurance company. They didn't even have Tesla in their system and asked me how to spell it. Later, Tesla showed up, but only for Models S and X. They could apparently type in the names of unknown models, so she added Model 3 and only asked what kind of car it was (sedan), the base price, and my VIN number. All set. It does make me a bit nervous that she only asked about base price and not "as configured", which I specifically asked about.