Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the SR+ RWD and I'm at BCAA right now and they're saying BCAA system isn't allowing the car to have the fuel efficient vehicle discount...o_O

She said she's gonna call the underwriter on Monday to check.

Also is replacement cost plus actually worth it? Am I gonna jinx myself if I don't get it? It's like$483 more a year

Let us know what you hear back. I'm told it's already bundled in the premium given that it's a BEV.

Does anyone have suggestions for New Car Replacement Insurance? (Unable to go with BCAA).

At Tesla, the ICBC Agent has Colwood Insurance for Private New Car Replacement but was very reluctant to explain to me the details of it.

I've also heard of Optiom. And having trouble getting details from the Broker I visited yesterday.

Will be trying out a few other Insurance places to see what NVR is available. Not a fan of ICBC's NVR cost. They charge an arm and a leg.

BCAA go no?

You can try Aviva or Coast Capital ( I think the underwriter is the same as BCAA)

Unable go with BCAA. We HAD a clean record until last winter. Hubby barely rear ended another driver. We both reported to ICBC, but no Claim on either side. And still another 1.5yrs to wait out if the other party will put in a claim despite no damage.

Aviva I believe no longer offers insurance in British Columbia.

Looks like I may be going with Optiom or Colwood since they are comparable.

FYI

IMG_6068.JPG

My ICBC was
$1100 basic (43% discount)
$1100 optional (3m 3rd party, no replacement)

I swapped out the ICBC optional (because I detest ICBC) with BCAA optional at $900 and got the replacement plus, a better $3M 3rd party, 300 deductible and preferred driver pkg.

So reading this thread made me wanna go with BCAA. However, my pickup time is 6pm on Saturday. Which I don’t think any bcaa will be open by then.

Does anyone know how I’d go to get the insurance in this case?

The only alternative seems to be getting icbc insurance first and then cancel it when I can drop by a bcaa location next Monday. But I believe there will be some cancellations fee involved and doesn’t really make any sense.

So reading this thread made me wanna go with BCAA. However, my pickup time is 6pm on Saturday. Which I don’t think any bcaa will be open by then.

The only alternative seems to be getting icbc insurance first and then cancel it when I can drop by a bcaa location next Monday. But I believe there will be some cancellations fee involved and doesn’t really make any sense.
There's no fee to cancel and they'll even refund you the difference. If you have a BCAA membership the membership fees paid for itself. I got a ~$180 discount and membership fee is only $50 a year.

Buy ICBC then BCAA online to get extra coverage. Visit a BCAA store to adjust discounts and such the next day.

I don’t share others’ hatred of ICBC

I agree, the corporation needs a shake up, but it’s in the position it finds itself because its coffers were raided by the BC Liberals

Premiums could be lowered by a significant amount if modern technology was adopted - online renewals for example would remove the enormous commissions paid to Autoplan agents (really wish I could find the TV report where it was found they make up to $600 on a simple renewal)

The whole car insurance industry here in BC is unnecessarily bloated - but you get what you pay for. Do other provinces have agents that travel to meet you where you buy your car?

My biggest bugbear here is the taxation of used vehicle sales. If I sell my vehicle privately, why the hell should the government get another slice? If bought and sold a few times, the revenue cost is outrageous!

There's no fee to cancel and they'll even refund you the difference. If you have a BCAA membership the membership fees paid for itself. I got a ~$180 discount and membership fee is only $50 a year.

So, just to double check on how I’d go with this.

I buy the full coverage with icbc during delivery, go home and get the insurance from bcaa after. Icbc will then refund the comprehensive portion of it (minus any pro-rated days) once bcaa takes over.

Did I get that process right?

So, just to double check on how I’d go with this.

I buy the full coverage with icbc during delivery, go home and get the insurance from bcaa after. Icbc will then refund the comprehensive portion of it (minus any pro-rated days) once bcaa takes over.

Did I get that process right?
Don't get the road Star coz $30 from that can't be refunded. Road Star costs $48, you'll only get $18 refunded.