Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance price for 23 years old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Due to the recent price cuts, I am thinking of placing an order for a model 3 but before doing so I got a few insurance quotes.

I have 3 years NCB(older than 2 years now, so not valid anymore most likely) and 5 years of my license. Full-time student, living at home and the price does not change even if I put my mother as a second driver(gets more expensive if she is set as the main driver). I get between 3-4K quotes. Is this normal? Would it not drop until I become 25? I thought 23 would be a solid drop in price, but it looks like it might be 25.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hi guys,

Due to the recent price cuts, I am thinking of placing an order for a model 3 but before doing so I got a few insurance quotes.

I have 3 years NCB(older than 2 years now, so not valid anymore most likely) and 5 years of my license. Full-time student, living at home and the price does not change even if I put my mother as a second driver(gets more expensive if she is set as the main driver). I get between 3-4K quotes. Is this normal? Would it not drop until I become 25? I thought 23 would be a solid drop in price, but it looks like it might be 25.

Normal for your age and location

Hi guys,

Old guys living in the country who've been driving forever will be on a tenth of your quotes (or less) ... but your big problems are location, age, occupation, marital status (I'm guessing) and not having 9+ years no claims. If/when you can acquire some more of those features the price will drop significantly.

Edit: "''twas always such" When I was a student I looked at a completely knackered Alfa Romeo being offered for £25 ... didn't go ahead when I was offered 6 months insurance for £300. I just did the "adjusted for inflation" number for the annual premium today: £6,439.55! This was for car that had no hope of passing another MOT not a brand new car with supercar acceleration!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a 20 year old son, soon to be 21. For him we've worked out that insurance can be reasonable (For someone of his age) generally as long as the car is below 250bhp mark, if you go over that it starts to get stupid. So for instance a BMW 428i is fine and below £1k, a BMW 430i is thousands more per year. Even the slowest Tesla is going to have too much power.

Probably do need to wait for the magic 25 if you want to avoid the massive bill. I think when test driving Tesla's they also specify you need to be 25+ if I remember right, maybe as they don't want to pay to insure people younger either.

Reactions: Js1977
I am 25 and was looking at quotes for over 2 - 3 years before I got my 3LR. Up until about a year ago I was getting good quotes through Direct Line of about £800. When I then came to look for insurance all the comparison sites, and Direct Line were quoting ~£1400.

I did a quote through Churchill directly and it came down to £900. After a few adjustments to the quote, including adding 4 holder named drivers, it came down to £700. I then called Churchill and added on AutoPilot which bought the premium down by another £50.

One thing to note is that Churchill wouldn't insure me at all until my 25th birthday, so it might be worth waiting a bit.

Also, I don't know anything about your financial position but I was looking at a 3SR about 2 years ago and was close to putting a deposit down but ended up waiting. I am so glad I did as in that time I bought a flat and was able to then afford a LR.

Reactions: ringi
Old guys living in the country who've been driving forever will be on a tenth of your quotes (or less) ... but your big problems are location, age, occupation, marital status (I'm guessing) and not having 9+ years no claims. If/when you can acquire some more of those features the price will drop significantly.

Edit: "''twas always such" When I was a student I looked at a completely knackered Alfa Romeo being offered for £25 ... didn't go ahead when I was offered 6 months insurance for £300. I just did the "adjusted for inflation" number for the annual premium today: £6,439.55! This was for car that had no hope of passing another MOT not a brand new car with supercar acceleration!
funny fact - there is no requirement for car to have a valid MOT| or to be able to pass one in order to BUY the Insurance ;)

funny fact - there is no requirement for car to have a valid MOT| or to be able to pass one in order to BUY the Insurance ;)

Why would you need a valid MOT or car tax for that matter to insure a car.

You need valid insurance (and MOT status) to buy tax, but you can insure any car irrespective of the status of the others.

How would you get a car to an MOT station if it didn’t have insurance? So if you needed to MOT a car, it would be impossible to drive to if you couldn’t insure it. The other two circumstances are covered by registering the car for that MOT.

You need valid insurance (and MOT status) to buy tax, but you can insure any car irrespective of the status of the others.

How would you get a car to an MOT station if it didn’t have insurance? So if you needed to MOT a car, it would be impossible to drive to if you couldn’t insure it. The other two circumstances are covered by registering the car for that MOT.
You don't need insurance to buy car tax either ( unless you live in Northern Ireland) that requirement was dropped years ago when they brought in continuous insurance checking.

this was just a comment / fun fact in response to @Adopado message that his insurance was more expensive than car and car would not even pass MOT :)

p.s. you can take car on the trailer to MOT station (if that was question "how if"