Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance recommendations - DFW area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prospective MS buyer, first time poster.

I've been doing my homework and received a quote from my current insurance agent (Farmers) for ~$2300 / 6 months for 100/300/100 coverage on JUST the MS. This seems awfully high to me but I don't have any frame of reference.

Is this a reasonable quote? If not, can someone comment on what a reasonable price (range) should be? Also recommendations for a different insurance provider/agent are also appreciated.

Thank you.

I wouldn't call that reasonable. Unfortunately you are going to have to get quotes from everyone to find a decent rate. Tesla coverage pricing varies so much. Try Costco if their insurance dealer, Ameriprise, is available in your state. USAA if you are eligible.

Reactions: vrykolas
In my opinion, it is so hard to compare insurance rates between people. There are some many variables between individuals that it is really hard to get apple to apple comparison. Age, credit history, past driving record, married or single, any kids of driving age, etc all come into play.

Without knowing more specific details in your situation, that quote seems ridiculously high. Should be half that.

I live just south of downtown Fort Worth -- in a still-iffy, gentrifying neighborhood -- late 30's single male with excellent credit and no tickets or accidents on my record in the past decade or so. Progressive charges me $802 for six months for my 90D. 100/300/100 with $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive. Several other companies quoted me relatively obscene prices. Shop around.

I agree with Zaphod's assessment, though, hard to get apples-to-apples comparison on insurance.

I personally find it all but impossible comparing insurance between folks or even when comparison shopping for yourself. All the companies get the same history and credit scores from me. Still the cost varies by 30-40% and more. I don't think it is possible to figure out.

I am currently with Amica and I had relatively good rates (including the MS) with homeowners and autos... for now. I expect to be shopping around every couple years.

I didn't. I told them I was a prospective buyer of the MS and was looking for a quote. On their site I recall they didn't have 2017 as a model year, so I chose 2016 and opted for a $500 deductible. An agent reached out to me and said for the MS, $2000 was the lowest deductible they allowed.

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns
As a rule of thumb, you should plan on getting at least five quotes from different insurance companies. You can call agents in your area, contact the companies directly, or apply online. Mine is currently working on this coverage from the recommended site for you. They provided with a quiet decent and affordable coverage for my budget.

Bodily Injury $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident
Personal Injury Protection $2,500 per person
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists
Bodily Injury $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident
Property Damage $100,000 per accident- $250 deductible
Physical Damage Comprehensive - $50 deductible

Yeah. I got quotes from Progressive, AllState, AAA, USAA (didn't qualify), Farmers, Amica, State Farm, and Liberty Mutual. I'd love to know which company you're working with for that coverage.

I ended up with AAA given their reputation and cost albeit the deductible is rather high.

Thanks

We've had GEICO for a few years now, and recently have been getting quotes from Allstate, since that is who insured our home. Until recently, Allstate was always higher, even with the multi-policy discount. But just the other day I had them quote us again and now they came back about $200 cheaper per 6 months than GEICO. So I guess the moral of the story is even if you have gotten a quote once it may pay to circle back after a while.

I'm also looking at buying a 2015 Model S and got a quote from Farmers (who i currently have) and the quote was $2000 for six months! I live in DFW also. I compared that to buying a new BMW 5 series (about same value) and the BMW came in at half of that. It's discouraging to find out the gas savings from driving Tesla goes to higher insurance premium. I'll get quotes from all the insurance companies though to find out where I can get the best deal, like everyone is suggesting.

In terms of claims experience in the Flood, AMICA paid the purchase price for a 3 month old car (my parents car not mine - whew). The policy did not have anything special about paying for a newer car like the Liberty mutual ads do. They just did it on their regular policy. Plus AMICA in Houston has good prices on the Model S for me.

I'm also looking at buying a 2015 Model S and got a quote from Farmers (who i currently have) and the quote was $2000 for six months! I live in DFW also. I compared that to buying a new BMW 5 series (about same value) and the BMW came in at half of that. It's discouraging to find out the gas savings from driving Tesla goes to higher insurance premium. I'll get quotes from all the insurance companies though to find out where I can get the best deal, like everyone is suggesting.

Farmers is notoriously high for Teslas.

Shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I'll be happy to give you some quotes. I'm a fellow Tesla owner and Texan. I've written a few members of the boards here. I have access to Progressive, Safeco, Travelers, Nationwide, AIG, and Chubb (all of whom write Teslas).

Reactions: bollar

I ultimately went with AAA. ~$1500 for a YEAR!