Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance rejecting rates for Tesla approved body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While that is true in CA, it may not be true in the OP's state of residence.
OP absolutely has the right to have things fixed wherever he wants. That shop has the right to charge whatever it wants. The insurance company has the right to pay reasonable rates. If the shop is charging unreasonable rates, someone needs to make up the difference, and it likely won’t be the insurance company.

A tip for future insurance shoppers:

Instead of starting out by picking a company by premium, go visit or call the Tesla-approved body shop you're most likely to go to in an event of an accident. Ask them which insurance companies in their experience are the easiest to work with. Might as well get the list of hardest to work with as well. Then with that list of best companies, get quotes and pick the best.

You'll never deal with this kind of sh*t again.

I’m in WA, which allows owners to choose any shop they want...mileage may vary I suppose.

Did some research and found a Tesla approved body shop that’s in network for my insurer. Plan is to see what the response from my insurance is on Monday, and if that doesn’t get resolved, get an estimate at the “in network” shop.

Thanks for all the feedback

Reactions: SageBrush
A tip for future insurance shoppers:

Instead of starting out by picking a company by premium, go visit or call the Tesla-approved body shop you're most likely to go to in an event of an accident. Ask them which insurance companies in their experience are the easiest to work with. Might as well get the list of hardest to work with as well. Then with that list of best companies, get quotes and pick the best.

You'll never deal with this kind of sh*t again.

start with the end in mind. This is why i have USAA (premiums and CS are competitive )

OP absolutely has the right to have things fixed wherever he wants. That shop has the right to charge whatever it wants. The insurance company has the right to pay reasonable rates. If the shop is charging unreasonable rates, someone needs to make up the difference, and it likely won’t be the insurance company.

not if OP's not at fault. His agreement about in-network rates etc is with his own ins. company.

not if OP's not at fault. His agreement about in-network rates etc is with his own ins. company.
No, that is in every case. (I am referring to the United States, it has been a couple of decades since I studied other markets.) You can always choose where to have it fixed. An insurance company cannot force you to go to any shop. They cannot even make you get your car fixed at all except in limited situations, e.g. you are at fault AND have a lienholder.

Insurance doesn’t have an “agreement about in-network rates.” An insurance company has a network of body shops that they find easier to work with and have good relationships with. There are two benefits to using one of the “network shops” of an insurance company. It can be easier to work with them and the insurance company will warranty the repairs. If you use another shop, it is the shop that may or may not offer a warranty.

I use a shop that isn’t in my own company’s network. When people I know ask, I tell them 1) you can go to any shop you want. 2) (insert body shop name here) is where I go because they do great work. Yes, even though I’m not in claims, I still make sure I get the “going to any shop you want” in there.

As @SageBrush states, an insurance company will only pay reasonable rates.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and MikeInFL
Can confirm. Insurance will only pay reasonable market rates to the shop of choice.

I’ve seen many people have to come out of pocket because their shop of choice charges above market rates.

The worst charge *by far* that I hate to see is when a body shop marks up a tow bill by 25-30%

So a $500 bill is now $650 and guess who ends up paying the markup... The owner of the vehicle even if not at fault. (obviously it may vary, but in the vast majority of cases the shop will try to squeeze every dollar out for literally doing nothing if the vehicle is totaled)

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
OP absolutely has the right to have things fixed wherever he wants. That shop has the right to charge whatever it wants. The insurance company has the right to pay reasonable rates. If the shop is charging unreasonable rates, someone needs to make up the difference, and it likely won’t be the insurance company.[/QUOTE]
Pithy !
And spot on.

In the spirit of excessive verbiage ...
It won't be the shop, either.
Who is left ?

I used to only go to closest OEM dealers to make it easy and they're usually in-network with all carriers. But after one here put the wrong size bumper on my Highlander and then said I hit it again, I am going to shop around in the future. I wish Tesla did timely bodywork to truly make OP whole

OT In some AZ shops routinely advertise we'll waive your copay for at fault.. I know that's illegal in other states. I wonder how they do that with in-network or ucr rates?

Last edited:
Can confirm. Insurance will only pay reasonable market rates to the shop of choice.

I’ve seen many people have to come out of pocket because their shop of choice charges above market rates.

The worst charge *by far* that I hate to see is when a body shop marks up a tow bill by 25-30%

So a $500 bill is now $650 and guess who ends up paying the markup... The owner of the vehicle even if not at fault. (obviously it may vary, but in the vast majority of cases the shop will try to squeeze every dollar out for literally doing nothing if the vehicle is totaled)

Yes, they tend to take advantage of the emergency, like ambulances.

Nasty.

Can a customer avoid this by making sure the body shop is not in the towing loop ? I'm wondering whether paying for the towing out of pocket and then being reimbursed by the insurance company, or requiring the towing company to seek reimbursement directly from the insurance company would prevent this sort of bill padding.

Just to clarify, first shop I got an estimate was Tesla approved body shop (not in network) (which the appraiser rejected the rates quoted)

If the appraiser doesn’t budge on Monday, plan is to visit a insurance carrier “in network” Tesla approved body shop to get an estimate.

Nasty.

Can a customer avoid this by making sure the body shop is not in the towing loop ? I'm wondering whether paying for the towing out of pocket and then being reimbursed by the insurance company, or requiring the towing company to seek reimbursement directly from the insurance company would prevent this sort of bill padding.

Always pay the tow driver directly if possible.

This shop (and many for that matter) use a 3rd party tow provider and try to mark up tow bills. It’s sick especially since the customer is getting bent over in the process and the shop KNOWS it.

When the Insurance company offers a settlement excessive fees are deducted from the settlement offer from these shops with excessive fees ultimately pissing off the customer who was 0% percent at fault.

If your insurance company is not giving you the service you need, then switch over your claim directly to the at fault insurer.

What is the use of having an insurance company that will not pay the cost of fixing your car.

Of course your adjuster will want to get it done as cheaply as possible, but you have your rights as per your policy as well.

What is the use of having an insurance company that will not pay the cost of fixing your car.
Of course your adjuster will want to get it done as cheaply as possible, but you have your rights as per your policy as well.

I don't think that this case of OP going through his own insurance company applies to your comments. His insurance company will not pay for repairs, and they do not have any vested interest in the repair cost.