Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Total Loss P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I checked Geicos website for any status on my claim and now they are going to fix my car.
It's going to cost them $44k and 33 days to fix.

All while I never received any notification from my adjustor.

Now I need to learn how to make a DV claim.
How could they possibly know it is going to take 33 days? I would plan for at least two months without your car. And Geico should brace for shelling out considerably more than $44k.

Wow, did the shop tell you what the insurance repair threshold is to total? I wonder how close 44k is.

I don't know what the threshold is. I’ve had no discussions with them after dropping off the car with them 2 months ago.

I'm sure it's dependent on the valuation. Initially Geico valued it at $58,350 but after 3 weeks of back and forth discussions(primarily me pointing out the fact they did not credit me for my car’s options) I got it up to $69,603.

Yesterday I left a message with the adjustor and told him I preferred to have the car totaled because the accident will diminish its value. I also asked if I agreed to $65,000 would they approve it and total the car.

Well, an hour ago I got a call from IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions) wanting to get a release from me to take the car.
I guess they agreed to my offer, but they have yet to communicate it to me.

Does anybody know if it's a bad idea to let IAA take the car without having the adjustor tell me the settlement amount?

I don't know what the threshold is. I’ve had no discussions with them after dropping off the car with them 2 months ago.

I'm sure it's dependent on the valuation. Initially Geico valued it at $58,350 but after 3 weeks of back and forth discussions(primarily me pointing out the fact they did not credit me for my car’s options) I got it up to $69,603.

Yesterday I left a message with the adjustor and told him I preferred to have the car totaled because the accident will diminish its value. I also asked if I agreed to $65,000 would they approve it and total the car.

Well, an hour ago I got a call from IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions) wanting to get a release from me to take the car.

Does anybody know if it's a bad idea to let IAA take the car without having the adjustor tell me the settlement amount?

Yes, go through the proper channels, as with anything in life related to massive dollar amounts and complex processes.

Ironic. It seems by raising the value of your car you raised the threshold and managed to move it above the repair estimate. So now you fight to lower the valuation. As annoying as it it, it makes sense from the insurance company point of view - their goal is to take the path which will cost less.

I would feel slightly uncomfortable releasing the car without having a total loss declaration, even at least a screen shot of some online portal (if you have one). Or maybe at least have IAA show you the order from your insurance company to take the car.

My adjustor left me a voice message Thursday afternoon. He confirmed they are totaling my car and the payout is now $70,100! Why it's more? He did not say and I don't care at this point. I'll see it later when I sign the paperwork.

He did tell me that IAA needs to take it and then Geico will write the check. So I gave IAA the ok to pick it up.

Picked up the check today! This whole accident ordeal took 2.5 months!!
The reason the payout jumped to $70,100 is they reimbursed me for last years DMV registration fee, prorated of course.

Did I get a fair valuation for my car? I think I did.
I found a P85D CPO with less than 20k miles (my car had 62k) and all options (except 3rd row seats) for $500 more than the settlement check. I can't wait to pick up the car next week.

I would like to give a shout out to GatorGuy for providing the Petty Details link. The information on that site gave me the courage to fight for a fair valuation.
Az_Rael, WhiteX, RogerHScott, D.E. and demundus for sharing their tips and experience with insurance companies.
Hank for giving me access to the historical prices on EV-CPO.com to help value my car. But I didn't use it for that, I used it to find my next car!

Glad you’ll be back in the P85D saddle once again. Insurance is such a PITA no matter how you look at it, but glad to hear there is a happy ending for you, especially with an impending replacement with much fewer miles on it.

I wonder if Warren knows how his company operates.
Warren not only knows how GEICO low balls, but he LOVES that it produces his $100+ Billion in what he labels “FLOAT” (insurance payouts that his companies owe, but don’t yet have to pay because the settlement is tied up in a dispute over the exact amount). Warren then invests YOUR float in companies that earn Berkshire Hathaway 20% returns on YOUR $$$.

Best of luck on receiving the proper true and full value of your loss. Glad you were in a five star safety rated vehicle!

It's been almost a year since the accident and I never told Tesla to remove the car from my account. I wanted to see if car would ever come online again.

Today I received a message from the app that my car was plugged in and charging in the Ukraine.

Screenshot_20190216-152353.png
Screenshot_20190216-152423.png