Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a huge difference between a Tesla car tracker, using just sim, and a dedicated car tracker, or bike trac, it has many forms of detection so can be tracked often in containers, and anywhere in the world.

For the question does the car have a basic tracker the answer is yes, whether the car has an advanced tracker that can be tracked in containers and monitored by a third party then no.

One quote..........
ADF3.png

Cost £1,295.01
Compulsory Excess £3000
Voluntary £0
Total £3000
I
the one I'm taking..........
LVP3.png

Cost £307.52
Compulsory Excess £250
Voluntary £100
Total £350

I cannot believe the differences I am seeing relating to insurance for the M3. Almost a grand difference between the cheapest and the 5th most expensive! Believe it or believe it not, the top one is NOT the most expensive for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster6655
For the question does the car have a basic tracker the answer is yes, whether the car has an advanced tracker that can be tracked in containers and monitored by a third party then no.

Which is why Insurance Companies do not cover just an in car so called tracker, it would be a huge risk if someone put down yes, and if stolen then it turns out you were referring to the in car tracker, high chance no pay out. Of course hopefully it will never get stolen, so no problem.

Got my registration number today, so finalised the insurance. In summary:
  • Direct Line were around 35% more expensive for a phone quote than an internet quote. And mysteriously their system crashed just while I was on the telephone, so the internet quote I'd been able to successfully retrieve was lost and they couldn't match against that. They recommended I do another internet quote and screenshot the process, but when I did the new internet quote it was around 10% higher than the previous one, and no longer competitive. I was wondering if it is like airline tickets, where the systems automatically put up the prices when they detect multiple searches for the same thing. Anyway, while on the phone I did ask if Direct Line did have an FSD discount (as mentioned in a comment above) and the person I spoke to didn't know about it at first and so had to talk to their supervisor, but later phoned back to confirm that yes one of 5% is available for phone quotes.
  • Comparethemarket gave an astonishingly wide range of results, with the highest over 10 times the price of the lowest (Admiral), but the lowest not nearing the lowest ones I'd got direct from Direct Line and Churchill. I did that on Friday when LV wasn't on it, and hadn't read this thread today to realise LV had been added.
  • Churchill was cheapest for me, so I went with that. It was actually a quote I'd made online over a week ago, and successfully saved (and retreived). I'd definitely recommend saving some quotes in advance (a comment above suggests 3 weeks is optimal).

• Informative
Reactions: Fullerene
what's the secret behind the LV quote? I went through comparethemarket and was no different to Admiral and churchill over 1k ?

is it for a performance model ?

Does anyone have any recommendations for GAP insurance providers?
And an idea of costs please?

One quote..........
ADF3.png

Cost £1,295.01
Compulsory Excess £3000
Voluntary £0
Total £3000
I
the one I'm taking..........
LVP3.png

Cost £307.52
Compulsory Excess £250
Voluntary £100
Total £350

I cannot believe the differences I am seeing relating to insurance for the M3. Almost a grand difference between the cheapest and the 5th most expensive! Believe it or believe it not, the top one is NOT the most expensive for me!

what's the secret behind the LV quote? I went through comparethemarket and was no different to Admiral and churchill over 1k ?

is it for a performance model ?

No difference in information given to them. It's for a performance model, yes. The search engine came back with 9 quotes, the lowest being LV and the highest from some company I've never heard of for over £3,000 per year!
It seems that LV and a couple of other insurers might be on top of this "new" model now whilst others really aren't.

My best is still £717 from DL, but I am hesitant to keep getting quotes as

A) don't have a delivery date so the quotes will likely expire by the time the car comes
B) continuous quoting pushes up your price (thanks, algorithm)

I'll ring Aviva (my current insurer) again when I get a due date and/or reg number and see if they'll cover it - they didn't a week and a bit ago when I last asked. Then I'll go through the rigmarole of doing the rest. Yeesh. Never simple with a Tesla, hah!

Reactions: Roy W.
My best is still £717 from DL, but I am hesitant to keep getting quotes as

A) don't have a delivery date so the quotes will likely expire by the time the car comes
B) continuous quoting pushes up your price (thanks, algorithm)

I'll ring Aviva (my current insurer) again when I get a due date and/or reg number and see if they'll cover it - they didn't a week and a bit ago when I last asked. Then I'll go through the rigmarole of doing the rest. Yeesh. Never simple with a Tesla, hah!
Once you get your delivery window I’d suggest you ring LV. They seem to be consistently the cheapest at the moment.

• Helpful
Reactions: ProfessorK
Very glad I read this thread this morning.

Did a CTM quote, LV were less than half what I'd signed up to with Churchill, quick call to Churchill to cancel (in cool off, so only lost a couple of £) and new policy taken out :D
Have you picked up? Any probs with Octopus/sg or all smooth? Not heard anything yet but Tesla did say second half of August :/