Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus charger failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I’ve recently had a number of times where I’ve woken up to find that the car hasn’t changed overnight. Looking at the Octopus app I can see that it didn’t create a charge schedule. If I turn off “intelligent” charging and then back on again it’ll create a schedule. Anyone else seeing this?

A bit more info would be helpful. Are you using the car or the charger for IO? and what are your setting on the octopus app.
Sorry, yes IO is controlling the car. But the problem isn’t that it’s not initiating the charge, it’s that it’s not creating the schedule at all. Departure time and target % are varying, but always sensible values (i.e. early morning, target % > current %).

Do you regularly change these values? ie. mine are always set to ready for 7am and 100%

Is this a recent occurrence?... I know you've recently changed your car which would be a different battery size to your previous?... I can only assume that you would have changed this to reflect on the app since you would have had to onboard with your new car?

I’ve had occasional similar issues. My default in such circumstances is totally remove car from app, log out of app, force quit app, log back into app, go through process to connect car again.

Either by accident, design or coincidence it usually seems to resolve things here.

I’ve had occasional similar issues. My default in such circumstances is totally remove car from app, log out of app, force quit app, log back into app, go through process to connect car again.

Either by accident, design or coincidence it usually seems to resolve things here.
Yes, I've resorted to that a few times too.

The problem now though is that I've lost trust in IO working properly. If I've got a long and important journey next day, I just revert to manual charging via the car's timer.

Sounds familar. I find IO creates a charging schedule about 1 in 4 times without my intervention. Most of the time, I have to toggle the on/off switch to provoke a response. I usually wait a few hours before doing so. Once I see a schdule, IO has never failed to charge my car thus far.

A behaviour I've noticed is IO charging the car outside the 6hr off peak window, but not setting the Off Peak flag on the API. This causes my home battery storage to discharge into the car.

It's quite annoying.

A behaviour I've noticed is IO charging the car outside the 6hr off peak window, but not setting the Off Peak flag on the API. This causes my home battery storage to discharge into the car.

It's quite annoying.
Im afraid that this is what IO is all about. Have a word with your installer or an electrician and they should be able to sort that annoyance for you.

Sounds familar. I find IO creates a charging schedule about 1 in 4 times without my intervention. Most of the time, I have to toggle the on/off switch to provoke a response. I usually wait a few hours before doing so. Once I see a schdule, IO has never failed to charge my car thus far.
I normally just check the octopus app at some point in the evening. Can be 5 mins or a couple of hours later. For the times a schedule isn’t showing a pull down and refresh on the devices tab seems to get a schedule set.

I plug the car in and set a timer on the phone for 10mins to remind me to check that io has stopped the charge and set the schedule, usually takes anything up to 15 mins to take over. I have yet to manually stop the charge via the Tesla app as not sure if that would stop a schedule being set by io. Another thing I may have noticed if you reduce the charging amps on the Tesla app (to save kw whilst waiting for io to take over) that looks to effect the schedule as mine last night only charged to 87% so I leave that ammo rate on full now

I would like to know however for those that stop the charge manually as soon as you plug in does a schedule from io automatically get set or do you toggle the smart switch in the io app to force a schedule

I would like to know however for those that stop the charge manually as soon as you plug in does a schedule from io automatically get set or do you toggle the smart switch in the io app to force a schedule
We stop the charge pretty well straight away - plug in, go indoors then stop the charge. We always get an IO schedule come through, not immediately, but normally within 30 mins ( can’t remember exactly how long we’ve had to wait but I doubt it’s been over half an hour).

I’ve never toggled the smart switch in the app - not even sure I know where it is 🤣.

I plug the car in and set a timer on the phone for 10mins to remind me to check that io has stopped the charge and set the schedule, usually takes anything up to 15 mins to take over. I have yet to manually stop the charge via the Tesla app as not sure if that would stop a schedule being set by io. Another thing I may have noticed if you reduce the charging amps on the Tesla app (to save kw whilst waiting for io to take over) that looks to effect the schedule as mine last night only charged to 87% so I leave that ammo rate on full now

When I plug in I’ll give it a few secs or so, till I see a min charging rate of ~3kWh start to show on the Tesla app, then manually stop the charge.

Usually a charging schedule will then be created anywhere from immediately to within an hour or so. Often this will appear as a notification on watch or iPhone but I’ll have to do a pull down refresh in the devices tab in the app for it to show up there. I don’t recall having had to toggle the smart switch button to create a schedule thus far, they’ve been pretty consistently created*. They just haven’t always shown up in the app till doing said pull down tab refresh.

* bar possibly a couple or so occasions when it all just seemed to stop working for a few days at a time for no obvious reason and I had to completely remove the car and set it all up again to resolve.

For hone assistant - which integration you use? There was issue with entity change for the automations after update. New entity for IO off-peak flag has your account ID.

OP: Io needs internet connection to identify that car is plugged in at home. Do you have network coverage at home? Also I noticed that wifi is not reliable and actually slow to wake up the car hence my car is not connected to wifi anymore.. only connected when there's an uodate.