Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in Selling Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People can make a lot of money or lose their ass trying to flip 'hot' cars. Usually it only occurs for limited edition cars.

I'll bet a portion of those folk are 'flippers'. I'm going to guess 90% of them lose or break even. The car is too inexpensive for it to be worth it.
Well, I have never reserved a car with the intention to flip, but I have flipped some because I ended out not liking the car I ordered:

1977 Honda Accord- sold the day after I took delivery after a six month wait, at a 25% profit. That was in Bahrain.
1966 Rover 2000TC- sold for a 10% profit two weeks after I bought it. I was transferred and did not want to ship it out of the US.
1968 Morgan +8- this was another Middle Eastern sale. I made 250% on that one

All three were backorders when I bought them, and the Honda certainly would not qualify as anything exceptional. The other two were certainly odd, but only the Morgan could have ben called "limited edition".
From my own experience I suggest almost any product that is in short supply with higher demand than supply can sell at a premium. I'd be astonished were some Model 3's not to be sold that way at the beginning.
The only question is how long the beginning will end out being, and that is probably a function of factory rampup, how quickly Tesla moves to new countries, and how quickly new features and options enter the market.

Of course, these are my opinions but I certainly don't claim any particular expertise. I'm probably conditioned to expect Model 3 premier due to my own experience back when the new, original, Honda Accord was coming out a

I wouldn't count on it. I tried transferring to my father in law and was told, no transfers. they are strict on the model 3 with as many reservations as there are.

If you don't need the money you can wait, order one and after you get it if someone in your family tries it and likes it you can ask Tesla to transfer the reservation. I'm sure Tesla won't oppose the transfer after you have already bought one and many of the reservations have already been converted to purchases, if you ask them politely.

I wouldn't count on it. I tried transferring to my father in law and was told, no transfers. they are strict on the model 3 with as many reservations as there are.
They are this strict because they don't want people to flip reservations for money I believe. After most reservations have been delivered I think their position will change. It will come to a point that having a reservation won't give you a noticeable advantage over someone that orders online at the same time, it will just simplify the process of canceling the 1000$ deposit and deposing it again.

I'm a current owner and I have 2 April 2016 reservations, will likely only keep 1 of them at most. 1 of them was reserved for my parents, but they got impatient and we got them a MS, so doubt they will want the M3 when it comes available. We also may not follow through on our 2nd reservation either since we have the MS and MX now also. We're in Ohio, so doubt we will be one of the first ones invited to configure.

I'm a current owner and I have 2 April 2016 reservations, will likely only keep 1 of them at most. 1 of them was reserved for my parents, but they got impatient and we got them a MS, so doubt they will want the M3 when it comes available. We also may not follow through on our 2nd reservation either since we have the MS and MX now also. We're in Ohio, so doubt we will be one of the first ones invited to configure.
Heyyyyy another Dayton person!

Agree, but his technique seems almost too good to be true:

"We would go to Tesla once the model 3 is ready, I would configure it the way you want, I would put your name on the registration (that means you would be the owner) once you get the car delivered, you would pay me."

While living in Palo Alto during the 2000 tech boom, I sold my 3rd spot in line for a 911, for $25k. Only car I ever made money on, and I actually never owned it. $5K deposit for <3 months yielding 500+%. Stupid money.

Keep the cash in your pocket @JamesL6 , something better will be along soon after production cranks up.
It's Tesla, and you'll want it.

Since the past 3 years, BMW M2, M3 and M4 have been selling at a premium of 10/15K at the dealership. I wouldn't be surprised if people could do the same with the Model 3, especially in Silicon Valley...

• Informative
Reactions: dhcp
It's in your best interest to pre-order one and get a junker between now and then or a Nissan Leaf, I heard those are becoming dirt cheap.

If you get a reservation holder to sell you their car they will likely take the tax credit and sell the car to you for a premium, meaning if you were to pay $3000ish impatient tax above the brand new price and considering the owner would get the $7500 tax credit, you'd be out over $10,000 since you forgot to reserve one last year.

That or look for a used Model S, here's a few in a similar price range to Model 3.
Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla
How do you know what his best interest is? Maybe his interest is in having a Model 3 now for a higher price - you don't know what the value of his time is. Welcome to the free market and our little friends the supply curve and the demand curve.

It has already started ... 2017 Tesla Model S | eBay The feeding frenzy begins ... (no affiliation)

Tesla Model 3 Reservation Holder. I reserved it on the day it was available, 4/1/2016
Configuration online will go live in July 2017 Delivery is expected at the end of the year 2017
According to Tesla, if you make new reservation today, you will have to wait in line for delivery sometime in 2018-2019
You can save at least a year by getting my reservation instead
Since I can not transfer reservation to another name, here what I am offering:
- Winner of this auction will contact me and I will let the buyer configure the car to their liking
- I will take a delivery of the car and hand over the car, and title, as soon as it's delivered
I will provide all my contacts as soon as auction is over. I am based in Northern California - deliveries will start here first - another advantage in line Feel free to message me
Disclosures:
*Please ignore the VIN. It is from another car, since Model 3 was not produced yet
*What I am selling is the PLACE IN LINE. Buyer will have to pay full price of the car on top of this premium. Whatever the price comes to be depends on buyers configuration
*No refunds

Last edited:
These people trying to auction off their reservations are idiots. Transfers are explicitly not allowed, so the reservation holder will have to take delivery, which would put the car and subsequently the title in their name.

If you then sell it to someone else, you would BOTH lose the fed tax credit...seller loses it due to "flipping", as it would be tax fraud, and the buyer loses out as he/she would then be the second owner. For the cherry on top, if the buyer were still stupid enough to make the deal, the resale value would take a nice hit due to it then being a 2 owner vehicle.

Greed and a low IQ are a recipe for disaster.