Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting rebate issue on Tesla Wall Connector, on Long Island. Good or bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aarons12

Enjoying my Pearl White LR AWD with inductions
Jan 24, 2020
long island, NY
i want to install a level 2 charger. i was looking at the tesla wall connector. but it's not on PSEG's approved list of chargers for their $500 rebate. So i called and asked. It turns out Tesla will not share charging info with them over the wi-fi, which they require for the rebate. I don't know if i'm happy Tesla protects our data, or annoyed. Then i read an article about the new list of owner satisfaction, and again Tesla is missing because they won't share individual car data.

thoughts on the above welcome, but also, thoughts on a tesla wall connector vs a more generic level 2 charger?

Put in a 15-40 50 amp wall jack and plug in the charger that comes with the car (with a few bucks spent on the RV adapter). As far a Tesla protecting our anonymity :D
as it happens we had a hot tub so there is 50 amp service right to our detached garage. so i have a great setup and as you said, one easy option is just to have a plug installed.

Ran in to the same "no rebate for you!" issue with PSEG L.I. for the Tesla Wall Connector :(

I'm going to sell my JuiceBox Pro 40 (which I did get the $500 rebate for last year) to the fellow who is going to purchase my 2017 Bolt and use those $$ to purchase the TWC for my MY.
I've seen the YT video's on using the J1772-Tesla adapter and it's somewhat clumsy to say the least (and it's adding some strain to the car's charging port). I just want to walk up the car, press a button and insert the charge connector, same w/removing it. When it's raining, snowing, etc... I want the fastest most reliable connect.

FWIW- the Juicebox Pro 40 is an excellent EVSE, it's just not ideal to have to use as your every-day EVSE if you have to use it with an adapter.

Reactions: Aarons12
Ran in to the same "no rebate for you!" issue with PSEG L.I. for the Tesla Wall Connector :(

I'm going to sell my JuiceBox Pro 40 (which I did get the $500 rebate for last year) to the fellow who is going to purchase my 2017 Bolt and use those $$ to purchase the TWC for my MY.
I've seen the YT video's on using the J1772-Tesla adapter and it's somewhat clumsy to say the least (and it's adding some strain to the car's charging port). I just want to walk up the car, press a button and insert the charge connector, same w/removing it. When it's raining, snowing, etc... I want the fastest most reliable connect.

FWIW- the Juicebox Pro 40 is an excellent EVSE, it's just not ideal to have to use as your every-day EVSE if you have to use it with an adapter.
that's helpful, thanks. relatively speaking, the rebate is not as important as having convenience and what works best with the car. i know this is just electricity, but it seems to me that tesla cars are probably happiest with tesla chargers.

and i've learned from other things in life. if you are charging your tesla with a tesla charger properly installed, they have one less finger to point if there is a battery or charging issue.

From what I've seen with ppl using the J1772-Tesla adapter is the handshake protocols get messed up if you don't insert the adapter in the correct sequence or squarely so the EVSE fails to charge. Last thing you need in inclement weather is to be out there futzing with your 240v connector.

Reactions: Aarons12
From what I've seen with ppl using the J1772-Tesla adapter is the handshake protocols get messed up if you don't insert the adapter in the correct sequence or squarely so the EVSE fails to charge. Last thing you need in inclement weather is to be out there futzing with your 240v connector.
Yes I also would not use the J1772-Tesla adapter at that end of the charging either. That is why we noted a nema 15-40 wall receptacle and the 14-50 adapter that plugs into the other end of the charger.

I like the idea that Tesla is not playing your electric companies game. I don't like the idea that the power company can monitor you and possibly throttle your power. I would go with either the Tesla V3 wall connector or the mobil

Not true. I've been charging daily on a J1772 and never had any such issue, regardless of order. Most of the time, I leave the adapter attached to the handle; plugging in is no different than using a Tesla EVSE. When I unplug, I push the button, wait for the port to unlock/white ring, and release the latch. Then yank the plug/adapter as a unit before the port re-locks.

I don't like the idea that the power company can monitor you and possibly throttle your power.
Then don't sign up for the utility's demand response program. No one's making you take their $500 rebate.

I like the idea that Tesla is not playing your electric companies game. I don't like the idea that the power company can monitor you and possibly throttle your power. I would go with either the Tesla V3 wall connector or the mobil
I emailed OEC (OK electrical coop) about whether their rebate works with a Tesla charger. I'm guessing they'll say no, because it requires you to limit charging to off-peak hours. Their goal is load balancing, so that their mostly fossil-fuel power plants are more efficient. I applaud this, especially since they are non-profit, and I get yearly checks from them because of that efficiency!

But I'm still waiting for the 18' Tesla wall charger. :D