Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting UK range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the "10% more than a Model 3" comes from tesla then it's more logical to believe this and apply it to actual Model 3 sales prices than to look back on why the public underestimated UK Model 3 prices by not understanding the detail of tax, import costs etc.

When Model 3 pricing was announced, I called Tesla re indicative UK equivalent. They said that then current S&X UK OTR pricing was approx iirc 1.15 x the US headline price. A big assumption, but applying that to Model 3 bought base Model 3 (which never saw light of day in launch spec even in US) in iirc somewhere between £31-32k. Add on gov grant (can't remember what it was at that time) and come UK release time partial premium and autopilot were added onto base spec and numerous price adjustments, that 1.15 multiplier probably wasn't too far off.

They're also saying that their manufacturing advances, or just the benefit of a bit more experience, are making the Model Y production line cheaper and less problematic than Model 3 was. And the production line is essentially built. Reasons to be fairly optimistic, surely?

Just my thoughts... :

Even if they could make the Model Y for the same price as the Model 3 there's no way they would sell it for the same price (or a very close price). The cost of production only affects a product price in that it sets a minimum below which a company will not be able to make any money. The actual sale price is set based on demand and on product placement within the existing range. It would be surprising, in terms of strategy, if Tesla were to do anything likely to cannibalise their current sales. I would guess therefore that the Model Y is most likely to be priced in that gap between the Model 3 and Model S i.e. somewhere between 60 and 80 thousand.

Just my thoughts... :

Even if they could make the Model Y for the same price as the Model 3 there's no way they would sell it for the same price (or a very close price). The cost of production only affects a product price in that it sets a minimum below which a company will not be able to make any money. The actual sale price is set based on demand and on product placement within the existing range. It would be surprising, in terms of strategy, if Tesla were to do anything likely to cannibalise their current sales. I would guess therefore that the Model Y is most likely to be priced in that gap between the Model 3 and Model S i.e. somewhere between 60 and 80 thousand.

Model Y is very close to the 3 in terms of how "premium" or not it is, so if they go much higher than 10-15% over I'd expect it to struggle in the market. I'd want hatch over saloon boot, but only by so much...

Model Y is very close to the 3 in terms of how "premium" or not it is, so if they go much higher than 10-15% over I'd expect it to struggle in the market. I'd want hatch over saloon boot, but only by so much...

... a hatch is always an attraction from my point of view too! New Tesla ... exciting times! ... keeping at least one version under 60 will help persuade a few extra people.

(My total guess is that a base Model Y might be around £60000 but that most variations will be well in excess of that.)

The X had a starting price of £64k in the UK when we ordered back in 2016. When you bare in mind the X has an aluminium construction, powered doors all round, x2 screens, panoramic windscreen.....If Tesla can sell any Y for £60k that's a whole load more profit than they ever achieved selling a base X.

Is there a UK price for Model Y? The price of the model 3 was reported as being about £26000 (exchange rate of 35000 dollars at the time) ... it didn't turn out quite like that ...;)
It never could. Applying exchange rate conversion is a TOTALLY invalid method to estimate UK prices. You have to add 10% import duty, and 20% VAT to the US (ex-tax) price. And of course the Model 3 Standard Range is US only. The SR+ is still a great deal.

Reactions: Adopado
Was the US price of $35000, including the local state taxes?
UK prices include all taxes, isn't it?

That's part of the problem, certainly. Also the press, even the specific motoring press, do tend to come up with inappropriate price translations ... mix in a bit of genuine price uncertainty with some wishful thinking and you get what you get!