Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting UK range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

For some geeky laughs :

6.5 kVA generator. Site says it can run at 3/4 load, 4.875 kVA, for 7 hours.

So 4.875 kVA / 230 V = 20 A. (Lazily assuming power factor of 100% ... probably it's worse.)

According to this Everything You Need To Know About Charging A Tesla a 20 A charge would get you 19 miles/hour...

So after 7 hours you'd have 133 miles of range. Neat!

Now how do we rig this thing up in the frunk, and drop an exhaust pipe underneath, and enable its use in motion..... :)

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and Ant M3
For some geeky laughs :

So 4.875 kVA / 230 V = 20 A. (Lazily assuming power factor of 100% ... probably it's worse.)

According to this Everything You Need To Know About Charging A Tesla a 20 A charge would get you 19 miles/hour...

Now how do we rig this thing up in the frunk, and drop an exhaust pipe underneath, and enable its use in motion..... :)
Someone already beat you to it!

Tesla Model 3 gets a gas engine hybrid conversion — creating the worst Tesla ever - Electrek

Reactions: Banksy888
He needs I think also to consider charging speed in these cars, which will vary quite widely, in miles/hr rather than just kw. When we exceed range is the only time we care about range, and it's also the time we then really care about how quickly we can charge up to finish the journey.

Eg I think the jag maxes out at 100kw dc, which when combined with its relatively high Wh/mile will make for a very long wait compared with 130-150kw at a supercharger for the lower Wh/mile Model 3.

Bjorn did a video on this. Obviously the Model 3 comes out well on this measure.

Thanks for posting...captivating video! And interesting results. Good for Kia coming in second. The comment on % of claimed range matching % of EPA mpg on ICE cars is pretty remarkable.
I have always felt the E-niro and its brother the Kona punched above their weight in-terms of range per £. when I first started looking at EV's seriously about a year ago those 2 were my first choice by a country mile. There was only one problem. It's a compliance car and you could not get one for love or money. The waiting list was over a year at the time. Then the M3 was released with a few weeks waiting time and all its other advantages and that was game over.
According to Autocar the waiting list is still 3000 people long now so not sure it has gotten much better.

I have always felt the E-niro and its brother the Kona punched above their weight in-terms of range per £. when I first started looking at EV's seriously about a year ago those 2 were my first choice by a country mile. There was only one problem. It's a compliance car and you could not get one for love or money. The waiting list was over a year at the time. Then the M3 was released with a few weeks waiting time and all its other advantages and that was game over.
According to Autocar the waiting list is still 3000 people long now so not sure it has gotten much better.

This is precisely what brings me here too! Existing EV driver (Zoe and i3) In need of a bigger, more practical family sized car. The Kia E-Niro seemed perfect, but apparently they only built 900 RHD? Didn't fancy waiting years, so gave up on that and turned attention to Kona. Same thing.. rare as rocking horse poo. Time to up the budget: Walked in, and then straight out of a Jagwar showroom. Then, one day, whilst out walking the pooch, I walked past a Model 3. Oooo. Showroom. Purchased. Took delivery a week later. Competition still tying shoelaces.

This is precisely what brings me here too! Existing EV driver (Zoe and i3) In need of a bigger, more practical family sized car. The Kia E-Niro seemed perfect, but apparently they only built 900 RHD? Didn't fancy waiting years, so gave up on that and turned attention to Kona. Same thing.. rare as rocking horse poo. Time to up the budget: Walked in, and then straight out of a Jagwar showroom. Then, one day, whilst out walking the pooch, I walked past a Model 3. Oooo. Showroom. Purchased. Took delivery a week later. Competition still tying shoelaces.
I like how the Niro was "perfect" yet somehow you ended up with an M3 P not an LR. hmm I wonder how that happened....:D
It is crazy though. I didn't get quite as far as the Jaguar showroom. the list price saw to that. I suppose there is the Leaf but its so damned fugly and still a bit short on range even in the LR version. The most promising high volume, up and coming M3 competitor the ID3 LR has no clear delivery date still and now they have announced that the LR version will only be a 4 seater due to weight limitations which would be a problem for a lot of people. So I think the M3 LR will have most of the mid size mid price long range market to itself for a while yet. Which hopefully will be good for my residuals :)

I went into a Jaguar showroom, sat in the I-Pace, told them I do a 200 mile journey twice a week and the salesman lost interest...

TBH I was anti-SUV on principle anyway so I wasn't a likely I-Pace buyer.

I feel these reviews were rather missing the point on EVs, in that they harp on about noise, comfort, performance and all the rest of it when all these cars are plenty good enough at that stuff. Before getting into these niceties they should look much more at a combination of range, charging availability and charging speed. Oh, and the cars actually being available to buy. Here I think some of the cars do badly on necessities before you get to niceties. "Compliance car", which i assume includes doing it just so they're able to say "we make an EV" also extends to Jag, Audi and Merc, arguably, for the small numbers in which they're produced.

Reactions: Skeewiff
I went into a Jaguar showroom, sat in the I-Pace, told them I do a 200 mile journey twice a week and the salesman lost interest...

I checked Abetterrouteplanner for a London to Edinburgh trip in an iPace compared to my relatively "range challenged" SR+ ... looks like the Jag takes 1 hour longer due to the range/charging compromises....

I checked Abetterrouteplanner for a London to Edinburgh trip in an iPace compared to my relatively "range challenged" SR+ ... looks like the Jag takes 1 hour longer due to the range/charging compromises....

Doesn't surprise me one bit. The SR+ looks a good option to me because total time spent on charge stops is all about kW charging speed and Wh/mile. So once the first charge is done the SR is nearly as good as LR in practical reality.

In this regard I think choice of car is about range challenging days, not so much about the really long drives (when it's about miles added per charging hour) or low mileage days when it just doesn't matter. I reckon you need quite a few of these specific range challenging days to justify going up a battery size.

TBH I was anti-SUV on principle anyway so I wasn't a likely I-Pace buyer.

I feel these reviews were rather missing the point on EVs, in that they harp on about noise, comfort, performance and all the rest of it when all these cars are plenty good enough at that stuff. Before getting into these niceties they should look much more at a combination of range, charging availability and charging speed. Oh, and the cars actually being available to buy. Here I think some of the cars do badly on necessities before you get to niceties. "Compliance car", which i assume includes doing it just so they're able to say "we make an EV" also extends to Jag, Audi and Merc, arguably, for the small numbers in which they're produced.
A compliance EV car is more about lowering the average CO2 of your fleet to not get a massive fine. Sometimes they are even sold at a loss so the trick is only to sell as many as is needed to get below the necessary level. Limiting supply is a good way to do this though it looks to me like some manufactures just make them not very appealing instead.
In the case of the Niro I don't know for sure. They might actually just be battery supply constrained. The easy way to tell a compliance car is that it is only sold where the CO2 reduction is actually needed.

apparently the average CO2 in UK is actually quite high for Europe ( too many SUV's) and we are off set by all the fiat 500's in italy etc. When we leave the EU we will keep the same rules but the measurement will be UK only not pan European so manufacturers are talking about high taking some high CO2 some models off sale in the UK altogether to reduce the average since they can't sell enough EV's in the short term to compensate. Interesting times.

For some geeky laughs :

It' already exists -- it's called a Self-Charging Hybrid..

The waiting list was over a year at the time. Then the M3 was released with a few weeks waiting time and all its other advantages and that was game over.
I ordered one early and it was actually waiting in the retailer for me to collect but I still went ahead with the Model 3...

My wife got one of the first Konas in the country and its a great little car. We've managed over 300 miles on a charge (sightseeing on country lanes etc, very little fast roads). In fact it was the Kona that prompted me to get my M3.
Obviously I wanted something similar to the Kona and ended up with the M3P. If I put it in Chill mode its only a bit faster than the Kona...