Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Camera.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of course, we didn't know that until the first renewal notice received. Owners who drive 12,000miles or more in a year will have to pay extra premium, the most we heard is double the standard rate. It hits a lot of uBer drivers as some vehicles were driven 30-50,000miles a year.

Never happened in other brands in Hong Kong, just Tesla. We have privacy ordinances, for sure Tesla Legal Department have to deal with it before recording with the camera

Damn, that sucks. In NY we don't have to report mileage like that and they don't really check the actual mileage of your car. It's just what you tell them.

I must back pedal my assertion about the camera being active. I find that the car only asks about wiggling the steering wheel on long flat smooth stretches of road. At this point, I'll add another ounce or two of weight and test again and/or tape up the camera.

There's a little hostility here about me saying the camera may be in use... all any of us can do is speculate.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I think the torque sensor is a little less dumb now. They aren't looking for weight > X, they are looking for weight > X AND weight isn't constant. I bet you can add as much weight as you want to it, and it will still ask you to move the wheel once you've been on the road a few miles. It doesn't immediately happen, I think because its recording variations till its sure the weight is constant.

This is a very real possibility.

I must back pedal my assertion about the camera being active. I find that the car only asks about wiggling the steering wheel on long flat smooth stretches of road. At this point, I'll add another ounce or two of weight and test again and/or tape up the camera.

There's a little hostility here about me saying the camera may be in use... all any of us can do is speculate.

Actually, its all in how someone says something. "Looks like the camera in use as of update X" is not nearly the same statement as "The camera might be in use". Thats why I didnt start asking for proof in your other thread where you detailed what you speculated was happening, and just gave you a suggestion on something to try.

I personally hope they have worked on the torque sensor algorithms to help prevent the use of any defeat techniques that people use to prevent having to actually "drive" while they drive, but thats not the topic of this thread. On topic, even though I am in favor of anything they can do to the torque sensors to defeat using weights or anything else like it, I am not in favor of turning on that camera and using it in such a manner, even if its possible (which I doubt, because its not at the correct angle to monitor head position, eyes, etc).

Nothing you just said is any proof in the slightest that the CAMERA is being used. Have any proof the camera is being used? "hunch" is no where near any proof that a camera (that isnt pointed at our eyes) is being used to monitor driver attention.

You made a statement that "it looks like the camera is being used in Update X" with nothing but your hunch because your weights on the wheel technique is not working like it used to. How about putting tape on the camera like i suggested and trying the exact same thing again?

it would be more likely that tesla changed the behavior of the wheel torque sensors to defeat products like "weights on the steering wheel" than they turned on a camera and are somehow integrating that.

it is likely that Tesla understands drivers need to look elsewhere when driving, too

I am not in favor of turning on that camera and using it in such a manner, even if its possible (which I doubt, because its not at the correct angle to monitor head position, eyes, etc).
Are you sure about that? I’m fairly certain that its a wide-angle lens and can see all of that just fine. The fact that green on Twitter was able to identify enumerations in code that tied directly to the camera’s usage I think disproves that notion.

I’m not sure what I’d prefer…camera or torque. Frankly, when AP gets good enough - on a long trip I’d really like to just keep my hands down and not have to hold the wheel for hours, but then again I don’t care for the idea of the camera being used in any way to invade my personal space. Its my car, not Teslas.

Reactions: Big Earl